Options

The Leveson Inquiry: Culture, Practices & Ethics of the Press, 2012

Comments

• Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating session with the guys from Full Fact today. Real objectivity - and very welcome it is too.
  • Options
    menadarvamenadarva Posts: 1,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saoir wrote: »
    I disagree fundamentally. He is an excellent actor - which is utterly irrelevant.
    He has demonstrated himself to be a very intelligent man who has given this whole matter a lot of deep thought and has had the balls to stand up against the abuses of the Press.
    He has also vocalised his views in a very impressive and competent way, better than many others on the scene.

I think he was treated far harsher than these pompous editors.

And by the way it is the Editors who have been demonstrated to have behaved in an appalling, illegal, abusive and exploitative way. It is their responsibilities that have been breached - not Grant's.

I believe he has done a fabulous job.

People like Grant thrive on publicity but when it turns from positive to negative because of their behaviour they blame the media who provide the publicity.

There is a market for celebrity tittle tattle and the newspapers exploit it. You can't really blame them if it helps to sell their newspapers.

Grant and his like have turned up at the Inquiry acting like outraged spinsters and have been given a respectful hearing. Editors are cross-examined as if they were on trial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    menadarva wrote: »
    People like Grant thrive on publicity but when it turns from positive to negative because of their behaviour they blame the media who provide the publicity.

Evidence (not opinion) that Grant "thrives" on publicity, please...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Fascinating session with the guys from Full Fact today. Real objectivity - and very welcome it is too.

Apologies - may as well get it right (it is Full Fact after all)...

The session was with Willy Moy of Full Fact and Martin Moore of the Media Standards Trust.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evidence (not opinion) that Grant "thrives" on publicity, please...

Oh, he's a shrinking violet is he? Shuns the first nights. Never appears in public on the arm of co-celebrities. Avoids interviews. Hates photo-ops. Refuses to look at celebrity mags in which he features.

Yes I'm sure you're right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, he's a shrinking violet is he? Shuns the first nights. Never appears in public on the arm of co-celebrities. Avoids interviews. Hates photo-ops. Refuses to look at celebrity mags in which he features.

Yes I'm sure you're right.

I am right.

Witness statement of Hugh Grant to the Leveson inquiry. Myth #9.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Staines (Guido Fawkes) continuing. Being asked about dealing with complaints on order-order.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 30mins in, pm session; Kier Starmer, Director of Public Prosecutions.
    Mostly procedural stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helen Belcher, Trans Media Watch, pressure group for representation of trans- and inter-sex issues in the media.
    Asked to provide definitions.
    A Trans, or transgender, identifies as opposite sex to birth sex.
    An Inter - physical biology has aspects of both genders.

Trans gender people added to list of who it's illegal to discriminate against by the Equalities Act 2010.
    The PCC editors' code of practice committee changed its guidance on reporting of gender issues in May 2005.
    She says trans people think it's a joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well he does seem rather pleased with himself as his witness statement confirms. A tedious rant full of self importance and self justification.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2hrs 9 mins in; Pam Surphlis (SAMM NI). Support After Murder & Manslaughter Northern Ireland, a support group.
    Insensitive treatment of relatives by the press.

Journalists pretending to be relatives to get information.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heather Mills agrees to give evidence

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/heather-mills-to-give-evidence-to-leveson-inquiry-6661651.html

This will be interesting. If she denies giving authorisation for Piers Morgan to listen to the recording then he will almost certainly be recalled. If she lies will it allow him to come clean about what happened? Morgan heavily implied he listened to a tape recording(and not a hacked voicemail) and had permission. Can someone finally nail him? But relying on Mills as your star witness is not very credible. Considering what the judge said about her in the divorce hearing

PS
    A reminder of what Morgan said at the enquiry about the tape recording:-
    http://hackinginquiry.org/news/piers-morgan-admits-listening-to-tape-of-heather-mills-voicemail-messages/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning session
    7mins Martin Moore (Media Standards Trust), Will Moy (Full Fact).

I didn't know about the Full Fact web site - it's really good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote of the day from the guys, re interpretation of data and averages:

"the average person has one testicle, but that doesn't tell you much about people."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member

Well said. A pretty decent guy who clearly doesn't court publicity outside his job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Heather Mills agrees to give evidence
    OMG what a prospect :confused:
    This will be interesting. If she denies giving authorisation for Piers Morgan to listen to the recording then he will almost certainly be recalled. If she lies will it allow him to come clean about what happened?
    Trouble is she has absolutely no credibility. Who can possibly believe her ? even though I am 90% sure what she said on this is true.

Balancing Mills against Morgan ... mmmmmm talk about Hobson's choice ! :rolleyes:

Not sure if I my stomach could endure watching her testify and take the oath :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Trouble is she has absolutely no credibility. Who can possibly believe her ? even though I am 90% sure what she said on this is true.

Balancing Mills against Morgan ... mmmmmm talk about Hobson's choice ! :rolleyes:

Hopefully Heather Mills has a friend somewhere who can tell her just to answer Jay's questions as honestly and succinctly as she can. She could reclaim a lot of lost ground if that's all she does.

I suspect I may be an optimist....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well said. A pretty decent guy who clearly doesn't court publicity outside his job.

Well I'm sorry but its impossible not to laugh. You make it sound as if Grant is a chapel going, nine to five, modest resident of suburbia.

OK, some people may like his films, and they might admire his stance against the media, but the fact is Grant is a celebrity and, as most celebrities do, has promoted that image of himself. You only have to read his witness statement to see the self-regard confirmed.

As you seem to admit, he wants the publicity surrounding his celebrity status but doesn't want to court publicity over his private activities. Unfortunately, the public who are interested in such things don't draw a line between the two, and the media, understandably, publishes both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm sorry but its impossible not to laugh. You make it sound as if Grant is a chapel going, nine to five, modest resident of suburbia.

OK, some people may like his films, and they might admire his stance against the media, but the fact is Grant is a celebrity and, as most celebrities do, has promoted that image of himself. You only have to read his witness statement to see the self-regard confirmed.

As you seem to admit, he wants the publicity surrounding his celebrity status but doesn't want to court publicity over his private activities. Unfortunately, the public who are interested in such things don't draw a line between the two, and the media, understandably, publishes both.

:D

As you say, it's impossible not to laugh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She said she didn't play the tape when Morgan listened to it, I think. The real question is did she authorise the ''leak'' in any way, shape or form(ie tell an aide to do it etc etc). It depends how forensic the questioning is of her. And if she tells the truth.(stop laughing!!):D:D

Sky News ticker says she is appearing tomorrow. Anyone have a timetable for tomorrows guests?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully Heather Mills has a friend somewhere who can tell her just to answer Jay's questions as honestly and succinctly as she can. She could reclaim a lot of lost ground if that's all she does.

I suspect I may be an optimist....

Do they have a ''Phone a friend'' option for those giving evidence?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thankfully that is the cynical and amoral attitude that Leveson is planning on lancing from our Press.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully that is the cynical and amoral attitude that Leveson is planning on lancing from our Press.

Do you think so? I imagine he will decide that preventing the press from reporting celebrities' extra-mural activities will be a step too far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the contrary everything he has hinted at points in the opposite direction. Thankfully.
This discussion has been closed.