Maybe Matt should take a look at Will Young's career

Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think if there is one artist who did manage to properly shake off the reality tv label and become a credible artist in his own right it is Will Young.

He didn't go around griping at the right things (iho), or trying his best to say whatever makes him sound the most credible or trying to get the right headlines (with his PR companies help) to forge the image of himself he wanted.

He did it through the music, starting off on covers and then moving onto writing his own songs and turning them into hits. He did it as well by keeping his head down, not winding people up the wrong way or starting feuds, appreciating his fans and putting in good performances.

He worked hard with his talent and let the success and credibility come to him rather than desperately try and grab it as soon as possible and cling onto it for dear life (Matt isn't doing it yet but I reckon he may go down that road).

I like Matt, he is probably my second favourite winner after Alexandra and I am not a big fan of Will Young's music but I respect his talent and achievements. Maybe if it is that important to Matt to shake off the reality tv tag he should see how Will Young did it.

What do fans think? Any Will and Matt fans here?

Comments

• NoahsAarkNoahsAark Posts: 30,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a Will Young fan agree that it would be fantastic if Matt could follow the same sort of path as Will. He certainly seems to know what he wants (as Will did) and doesn't suffer fools gladly and seemingly won't be too easy to boss around.

The only difference I see that might hold Matt back is that Will was never employed by Syco - in fact he was taken under the wing of Simon Fuller and I think that support had a great deal to do with how well Will has done since then. Will has had very little to do with Simon Cowel during his career.
  • Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will had Simon Fuller in his corner and was and still managed by him. When Will left Syco after his post PI contract ended, Fuller was able to guide Will - and he was fortunate to have Leave Right Now ( written by Eg White) as his lead single for his first album with RCA - Fridays Child. That album really set Will on the road to success.

Matt just has Modest - hardly in the same league in terms of clout and support.

I agree, Wills crafted his song writing over the years - although he never gets playlisted on Radio 1 and is largely an album artist.

His next album will be very dance orientated, so will be interesting if this bucks the trend for him re radio 1 and single charts

As for Matt right now - he's in the middle of media hype post his XF win - ever word or quote re-framed for headlines, so I think it's unfair to pounce on these right now. Will had the good fortune to be whisked away for 2 weeks - shot his video in Cuba after winning PI and then came back to promote single,but IIRC is wasn't as manic as things have been for Matt, but in those days there was no FB or Twitter to post every nano word or movement - different times.
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree Will Young has throughout his career shown a genuine passion for music, maintained his dignity and musicianship whilst spearheading his career without ever slagging off other artists for publicity gain and is quite possibly the best reality contestant we've ever head in the UK if we think back to Beyond The Sea, Sweetest Feeling, Ain't No Sunshine and We Are In Love perhaps bar Leona Lewis but i am not very content with Matts attitude and way about doing things and slagging off other artists even though it is just Miley Cyrus!!

Defintely Simon Fuller has played a major role in to allowing Will to have the career he has. But i dont think the two are even in the same league, i seriously think Will Young would beat Matt Cardle in a sing off as Will picks songs perfectly and even with a bad song thats not suited to him Will is able to 'make it his own' without whinging (Abba week anyone! he was perhaps the only one that was any good!).

We'll see regarding Matt but i dont think Syco would appreciate him slagging off The Climb as they choose it as their winners song last year - very stupid me thinks! I do think he will slightly better than Brookstein, Jackson and McElderry but never the proportions of Will Young as personally Will beats Matt at any criteria you choose to compare the two with - songs, intergrity, dignity, not slagging other artists in the press, musicianship, modesty, personality, interview technique. Everything from calling his ex girlfriend a di*k to slagging Miley off slating The Climb slating the X Factor songs etc doesn't make me warm to Matt.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Will Young's is fanbase (single buyers at least, album sales reducing) is gradually fading out though isn't it - hardly someone to big up that much is he.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Young_discography

Too compare Matt with Will Young is totally rediculous.Matt is probably going to be pitched as a pop rock / folk rock artist.They will be on different ends of the pop world.Think Matt can kiss his true Indie rock days goodbye (even if he was in that market anyway with his previuos bands), if he remains under $yco though.
  • mamamiamamamia Posts: 2,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Will Young still about?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mamamia wrote: »
    Is Will Young still about?

Oh yes - new album out next year (more dance based sound after his collaboration with Groove Armada). He had plenty of successful concerts during the summer this year and has been filming a new TV series called 'Bedlam' which is due out in February. Also his cameo in an episode of 'Miss Marple' is out in January.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Will Young's is fanbase (single buyers at least, album sales reducing) is gradually fading out though isn't it - hardly someone to big up that much is he.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Young_discography

Too compare Matt with Will Young is totally rediculous.Matt is probably going to be pitched as a pop rock / folk rock artist.They will be on different ends of the pop world.Think Matt can kiss his true Indie rock days goodbye (even if he was in that market anyway with his previuos bands), if he remains under $yco though.

I think Will still has a very strong fan-base - his concerts during the summer were strongly attended (10,000 at one in particular ... Tatton Park??) and his albums still sell well.

It will be interesting to see what 'sound' Matt comes out with on the release of his album. I think the original poster was suggesting Matt might follow Will's career path rather than the type of music though.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The difference is that Will Young is a creative artist.
  • Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree Will Young has throughout his career shown a genuine passion for music, maintained his dignity and musicianship whilst spearheading his career without ever slagging off other artists for publicity gain and is quite possibly the best reality contestant we've ever head in the UK if we think back to Beyond The Sea, Sweetest Feeling, Ain't No Sunshine and We Are In Love perhaps bar Leona Lewis but i am not very content with Matts attitude and way about doing things and slagging off other artists even though it is just Miley Cyrus!!

Defintely Simon Fuller has played a major role in to allowing Will to have the career he has. But i dont think the two are even in the same league, i seriously think Will Young would beat Matt Cardle in a sing off as Will picks songs perfectly and even with a bad song thats not suited to him Will is able to 'make it his own' without whinging (Abba week anyone! he was perhaps the only one that was any good!).

We'll see regarding Matt but i dont think Syco would appreciate him slagging off The Climb as they choose it as their winners song last year - very stupid me thinks! I do think he will slightly better than Brookstein, Jackson and McElderry but never the proportions of Will Young as personally Will beats Matt at any criteria you choose to compare the two with - songs, intergrity, dignity, not slagging other artists in the press, musicianship, modesty, personality, interview technique. Everything from calling his ex girlfriend a di*k to slagging Miley off slating The Climb slating the X Factor songs etc doesn't make me warm to Matt.

oh please - you are comparing someone who has had 8 years in the spotlight and industry, with someone who has just come off a show and is in the full post win after-glare.

I'm a Will fan, but some of his fans do get on my wick - he's hardly a saint. If Will had a BF who sold a story on their love life to the NOTW, I hope he would call him a 'dick' too !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Young might not get much play on Radio 1 but I bet he gets loads on Radio 2 - can any Radio 2 listeners tell me if I am wrong/right?

I like Will Young, he went through a pretentious phase but seems to have come out the other side quite well.
  • mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I had not realised that Will was a lyricist, songwritter, musician and singer I knoew Matt is however is it the same for Will;)?
    I am a Matt fan and I appreciate all these threads that are being created they are wonderful. ;)
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Matt wouldn't be happy with that if he was forced to go down the Will Young route.That definately won't work.Don't think Matt would do schmaltzy, MOR, slightly understated dance pop somehow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luckily for Will Young, Digital Spy wasn't around when he won Pop Idol so he didn't have to avoid looking and finding every tiny aspect of his life being discussed. I imagine he would have been labelled arrogant for daring to question Simon Cowell.
  • GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And you seem to think Matt isn't without hearing any of his forthcoming material, why?
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt wouldn't be happy with that if he was forced to go down the Will Young route.That definately won't work.Don't think Matt would do schmaltzy, MOR, slightly understated dance pop somehow.

Matt will do what he's told to do, or walk, anyone who thinks differently is seriously out of touch with the way Simon operates. Tails don't wag the dog in Simon's world, it's his way or not at all as the previous male winners have found to their cost.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure he will be hoping that he can have the success and longevity of Will. 8 years, 8 million albums sold, 4 at least Platinum albums and a Platinum greatest hits; who wouldn't?
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BP4L wrote: »
    I'm sure he will be hoping that he can have the success and longevity of Will. 8 years, 8 million albums sold, 4 at least Platinum albums and a Platinum greatest hits; who wouldn't?

I am too:)