Options

Sound levels Sky box, DVD, movies

Hi

Not sure which forum this should be in but I'll give it a go here.

I have a pretty basic setup comprising; Panasonic 26" HD LCD TV, Sky HD box and Panasonic DVD/HD recorder, just using the TV speakers. The question is, why is the volume seemingly so muted but only when viewing films, If I use normal Analogue, DVB or Sky channels (except movies) I set the volume on the TV at about 25% and all is generally OK. Try a film either on DVD or from Sky channels and I need the sound set to at least 60% to get the same relative volume.

I have tried various settings on the HD box and the TV but I really cannot see that this is the issue as these settings affect all sources. DVD's have always been like this I think and I always put it down to the DVD player but now I have subscribed to Sky movies it seems that they have the same volume issue. If you do not set the volume down at the end of the movie the sound level on normal TV is amazingly high.

Is this normal? I cannot really see a way around this so I guess it must be but I would be grateful if anyone can confirm this or suggest a remedy,

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    michaelvartanmichaelvartan Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Your dvd and Sky Movies all play with a Dolby Digital track.

DD uses low sound levels to enable high frequency levels without distortion.

Thats why other Sky channels are fine.

You may find that Disney Channel is the same.

There's nothing you can do about it.

Best bet is to get an amp and speakers to make good use of the DD sound
  • Options
    colin_ccolin_c Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info

That at least clarifies the situation, it does not solve the volume difference issue that the other half keeps moaning about.

Unfortunately, the extra amp plus wires etc would in no way go anywhere towards placating the aforementioned person either. I did sort of suggest it .......................... but that is another story!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually down to the audio signal processing employed by the broadcasters and DVD mastering facilities.

In general the broadcasters tend to use various flavours of audio signal processors to compress the dynamic range of the audio to varying degrees. What this means is that the difference in perceived volume between the loudest and quietest parts of the programme is reduced making the average volume seem higher.

A DVD film however will more closely resemble the dynamics of the original cinema film. Therefore it will most likely have a greater difference in volume between the load and quiet bits which makes the overall average volume appear lower.

It is also quite possible that Sky use less audio processing on the film channels than they do on the others. Especially if they broadcast the original digital surround sound track unaltered.

Short of buying your own Optimod processor (a bit OTT - not to mention expensive - for the home :) ) and compressing the DVD sound track to match the TV sound, there is very little that you can do about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    that is the reason when an advert comes on the tv it is louder than the programme you are watching to grab your attention