Options

Why Does The Next Sale Start Tomorrow?

TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
Forum Member
✭✭
Are they just selling normal stuff today then? Seems a bit weird.

Comments

• Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Next open today? Sunday trading laws?

Sale starts today up here (Scotland), but then we don't have Sunday trading laws, so could be that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The store here is shut all day today, there is a stream of people wandering up, studying the christmas opening hours poster and shuffling off
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Next open today? Sunday trading laws?

Sale starts today up here (Scotland), but then we don't have Sunday trading laws, so could be that.

Some of them are open definitely.
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you should send them a stern letter.
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they open at 5am for their sale - if it started today that would mean they would have to close late morning due to Sunday trading laws.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, if they opened at 5am today, they'd have to shut at 11am, so it's best to wait until Monday!
  • Options
    muchlymuchly Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Next, like M&S, took the decision a couple of years ago not to open on Boxing Day any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muchly wrote: »
    Next, like M&S, took the decision a couple of years ago not to open on Boxing Day any more.

What about in shopping centres where they have to open?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In our local shopping centre more stores were closed than open yesterday. They don't have to do anything they don't want to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In our local shopping centre more stores were closed than open yesterday. They don't have to do anything they don't want to.

They do at some.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who says that a shop has to open?
    M&S and Next were shut yesterday, nationwide. If they don't want to open, for whatever reason, they don't have to.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    Who says that a shop has to open?
    M&S and Next were shut yesterday, nationwide. If they don't want to open, for whatever reason, they don't have to.

Some shopping centres have as a condition of the Lease that shops must open during centre hours, smaller shops have to tow the line or be evicted, but the likes of M&S and Next have the power to refuse, A shopping centre managent company is hardley going to evict a major tenant and have huge shop empty.
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were chuckling at work because the front page story on the Times or something says Brits queue for Selfridges sale or something like that. Then a pic of about 50 people rushing into the store when the doors open, & there isn;t one white person to be seen :D
  • Options
    BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muchly wrote: »

i say well done to them for shutting, gives their staff a nice 2 days well deserved break from the madness of working in a shop at christmas (i used to work in retail, so i know how it feels!)
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunnyfoo wrote: »
    i say well done to them for shutting, gives their staff a nice 2 days well deserved break from the madness of working in a shop at christmas (i used to work in retail, so i know how it feels!)

Often it doesn't give the staff a break as they have to set up for the sales. People these days expect everywhere to open Boxing Day and the sales to start, yet when are they supposed to actually prepare for it, the prices don't magically come down on the computers and labels appear themselves.

No wonder it feels less like Christmas each year, these days people expect everything to be open all the time as if they go into melt down if can't shop for a day.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    We were chuckling at work because the front page story on the Times or something says Brits queue for Selfridges sale or something like that. Then a pic of about 50 people rushing into the store when the doors open, & there isn;t one white person to be seen :D

I thoght it was filmed on Tokyo :D;)
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because it always starts the 'next' day. (Get it? ;))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I thoght it was filmed on Tokyo :D;)

Was it? We only read the title & saw the pic whilst we were working, the word Brits & the pic of all the chinese people made us laugh
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Was it? We only read the title & saw the pic whilst we were working, the word Brits & the pic of all the chinese people made us laugh

No, it was London,lol :D
  • Options
    BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    Often it doesn't give the staff a break as they have to set up for the sales. People these days expect everywhere to open Boxing Day and the sales to start, yet when are they supposed to actually prepare for it, the prices don't magically come down on the computers and labels appear themselves.

No wonder it feels less like Christmas each year, these days people expect everything to be open all the time as if they go into melt down if can't shop for a day.

Most companys tend to do all the reductions on christmas eve after the store has closed, thats why quite a few stores shut around 3 or 4 on christmas eve. Shops always prepare early for the sales with the labels and other bits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    No, it was London,lol :D

Ah ya tease! :p