I can't believe anyone could eat this much

124»

Comments

• Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YingYang wrote: »
    Whilst it's true that morbid obesity can lead to a premature death so can many other unhealthy habits. Smoking and alcohol abuse, for example, are also renowned for shortening people's life expectencies.

At least when not over consumed , both food and alcohol are not harmful to the human body. And unlike alcohol, food is exceptional in that, alongside water, it's required to sustain life. Tobacco, conversely, has no positive benefits. It just eventually kills us.

My point is this. There is at least some hope for those who are willing to tackle their unhealthy eating habits. Whereas for ex-smokers the damage may already have been done. But I admire anyone who's willing to try and change the habits of a lifetime -regardless of the nature of those habits.:)

All the smokers and drinkers I've known have lived into their seventies and eighties. The morbidly obese in the link I read about barely made it into their forties. I'm not saying drinking and smoking are good for you but they only knock a few years off at most unless you're really unlucky. The youngest smoker I know reached 74 but she had other health problems. Anyone weighing 40st or more won't have a prayer of even reaching fifty before their heart gives out. The body just can't cope with such a strain and that's the same for those that are severely anorexic.
    Smoking and drinking may possibly shorten your life but there's no doubt at all that morbid obesity will shorten your life and not just by a few years either, by thirty or fourty or even fiftyyears.
    I really feel for the woman in this stupid daily mail article, if she does reach her goal of gaining another 25st, it's doubtful she'll get to see her daughter grow into a woman. WTF aren't her family trying to help her?
    I know I would be if she was related to me. I wouldn't be sitting back, letting her humiliate herself in some trashy newspaper and waiting for her to eat herself to death.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D***** wrote: »
    It's not her fault. It's her genes. Leave her alone. :D

It could be genetic, or metabolic. I know people who can't lose weight and have really tried. Too bad she's getting negative attention for it, isn't it.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    It could be genetic, or metabolic. I know people who can't lose weight and have really tried. Too bad she's getting negative attention for it, isn't it.
    I doubt it. The woman wants to put on another 25 stone, not lose 25 stone :eek:
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    One has to be careful of gall stones... Gall is a worry to some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it. The woman wants to put on another 25 stone, not lose 25 stone :eek:

I know she does now. But I think she tried to lose it before giving up. I don't believe she feels attractive, even if she says that. I wish we knew more about obesity. There really is a metabolism aspect that is just being discovered. I didn't mean to get all serious, but I feel bad for her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if she'd like to finish all that off with a wafer-thin mint? :)
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No human could eat that amount in a day. Externally she may be big but internally there won't be much difference to you and I. No chance.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D***** wrote: »
    It's not her fault. It's her genes. Leave her alone. :D

She must have had to let them out a bit after eating that much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    netcurtains - Yes it would help if the article had informed us why the woman's family weren't helping her with her over-eating issues.

Perhaps the journalist wasn't interested in that aspect of her story.

It was a very sensationalist report, focusing mostly on her weight and level of food consumption, whilst more or less ignoring the underlying family dynamics that might have led to her present attitude/behaviour towards food.

Without knowing more about the family (beyond the food/weight issue) it's hard to understand why this women isn't receiving help (i.e. ongoing encouragement to change) from her immediate and/or wider family.

A really sad and disturbing story, imo. The outcome of which, if nothing's done soon to reverse her constant weight gain trend, is (like you say) inevitable. :(:cry::(
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    I know she does now. But I think she tried to lose it before giving up. I don't believe she feels attractive, even if she says that. I wish we knew more about obesity. There really is a metabolism aspect that is just being discovered. I didn't mean to get all serious, but I feel bad for her.

I don't believe for one second that there is a "metabolism" aspect. Humans haven't evolved physically since the Stone Age, when they were hunter-gatherers. They'd make a kill, eat well for a few days, then have a period of maybe several weeks when food was short. That's what the body is designed for, and that's also why many people whose ancestral origins are on the Indian Subcontinent develop type 2 diabetes when exposed to a Western diet and culture.
    If it was a metabolic problem, you'd have had grossly obese individuals throughout history, and you haven't. Even Henry VIII, who weighed about 25 stone and was considered grossly fat, got that way because he exercised too little and ate too much. Some people are greedy, and will get fat because of it, but not 43 stone fat.

I still think that the rise in obesity levels has closely paralled the rise in the availability of fast foods, and the increasing number of supermarkets selling pre-prepared foods. When people had to cook their own food from basic ingredients (and even sometimes to grow it), they "understood" food much better. Jamie Oliver has it bang to rights, educate the children, give them decent food, engage their interest, and maybe we'll make some progress.
  • Options
    Duke of EarlDuke of Earl Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of this :)

http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=8865

LOL @ 01:05 :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I don't believe for one second that there is a "metabolism" aspect. Humans haven't evolved physically since the Stone Age, when they were hunter-gatherers. They'd make a kill, eat well for a few days, then have a period of maybe several weeks when food was short. That's what the body is designed for, and that's also why many people whose ancestral origins are on the Indian Subcontinent develop type 2 diabetes when exposed to a Western diet and culture.
    If it was a metabolic problem, you'd have had grossly obese individuals throughout history, and you haven't. Even Henry VIII, who weighed about 25 stone and was considered grossly fat, got that way because he exercised too little and ate too much. Some people are greedy, and will get fat because of it, but not 43 stone fat.

I still think that the rise in obesity levels has closely paralled the rise in the availability of fast foods, and the increasing number of supermarkets selling pre-prepared foods. When people had to cook their own food from basic ingredients (and even sometimes to grow it), they "understood" food much better. Jamie Oliver has it bang to rights, educate the children, give them decent food, engage their interest, and maybe we'll make some progress.

I am not defending this woman's behavior, or poor nutrition, but am looking at causes. There is a known genetic component to obesity and a low metabolic rate can be inherited. Child has an obese young friend whose father is a doctor and there is good food in the house. He is not uneducated about nutrition. That leads me to believe there are additional factors to consider while some (not you) are sneering at this woman. I would also consider what gains the husband gets from having an obese wife and encouraging her; possibly he thinks she will not run away.