Options

Why Cheryl Cole is my idol

Comments

• Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah.OX wrote: »
    Cheryl said herself drugs were there for the taking but she didn't take them.

Funny that, Keith Richards is one of my heroes for exactly the opposite reason.
    Sarah.OX wrote: »
    Cheryl wanted to make something of herself,make her life worth while and boy,did she! She should be admired for this!

So did Keith.......OK, maybe the Rolling Stones back catalogue isn't quite as impressive as the body of work to date by Ms Cole but you've got to love a tryer.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind people disliking her at all, and I'm not about to pretend the Ashley stuff and X Factor didn't increase her fame level because it did, but to claim she's just one of those dreadful people who are literally famous because they're famous is an insult to all Girls Aloud fans.

Yeah because Girls Aloud are really an example of talent, hard work and originality. She was just one face in a crap girlband. Nobody gave a toss about her. Then she assaulted somebody and got charged with ABH. Most people couldn't stand her. Then she got cheated on and met Simon Cowell and for some reason her career has skyrocketed. She has no discernible talent, she actually is just a desperate wannabe a la Kerry Katona and Jordan. She just never got her baps out - instead she made friends with Simon Cowell. She has been quoted as saying that all she wanted was "life in the public eye". How is that any different to the likes of Katona and Jordan?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Yeah because Girls Aloud are really an example of talent, hard work and originality. She was just one face in a crap girlband. Nobody gave a toss about her. Then she assaulted somebody and got charged with ABH. Most people couldn't stand her. Then she got cheated on and met Simon Cowell and for some reason her career has skyrocketed. She has no discernible talent, she actually is just a desperate wannabe a la Kerry Katona and Jordan. She just never got her baps out - instead she made friends with Simon Cowell. She has been quoted as saying that all she wanted was "life in the public eye". How is that any different to the likes of Katona and Jordan?

Bit uncalled for, isn't it? All I'm saying is that, regardless of what happened to her publicity-wise once she got into the band, at least she actually got into the public eye by doing something that a lot of people enjoy. You might personally think they're "just a crap girlband" and fair enough, not everyone's going to like them, but you can't deny that they've been hugely successful and they were successful before Cheryl ever went near either Ashley or Simon Cowell, so obviously some people gave a toss.

I'm not saying Girls Aloud are the second coming of music or anything, far from it, but I just think that there's a massive difference between becoming famous for being part of a successful girlband, and becoming famous for getting your comedy fake tits out and talking endlessly about your sex life.

We've had this conversation though before so I won't carry it on beyond this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,537
    Forum Member
    She's a talentless charver...but each to their own I suppose.
  • Options
    PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worpler wrote: »
    She's a talentless charver...but each to their own I suppose.

I've gone through phases with Cheryl. When she was on Popstars the Rivals I couldn't stand her and thought she was moody and nasty and an awful singer. When she got into the band I was horrified as she was the worst singer, but was glad at the same time that Javine didn't get in as I disliked her even more. I followed Girls Aloud and bought their records as I really liked Nadine (the talent), Nicola and Kimberley (awful singer but nice girl). Gradually Cheryl grew on me, though I was not surprised when the toilet incident happened as I always said Cheryl would be trouble. I even found myself supporting Cheryl against the mass of public hate after "the incident". I grew to like Cheryl as the band continued.

In recent years I have started to go off Cheryl again. First the sob stories after Ashley became more and more annoying. She'd only been cheated on, she wasn't dying, and she knew what Ashley was like when she married him. Simon's fawning over Cheryl on the X Factor also became nauseating and the public turning on Dannii the far nicer and superior judge also angered me.

After X Factor all the other girls in Girls Aloud seemed to be relegated to Cheryl Cole and co. Than all these bandwagon jumpers appeared from nowhere professing their love for Cheryl despite never buying a Girls Aloud record previously (as shown by the massive sales of her solo album compared to the Girls Aloud albums). It seemed wrong for Nadine, Nicola and even Sarah, far superior singers, to be playing second fiddle to Cheryl simply because her husband cheated on her and Simon Cowell has an obsession with her.

The way celebrities fawn over Cheryl (Will.i.am (the biggest example, Rihanna, Simon) is cringeworthy and annoying, especially as she has little talent. The presses attacking and attempts at destroying anyone who challenges Cheryl also has made me dislike her a little bit (Dannii on the first couple of seasons on X factor with Cheryl, Nadine Coyle for daring to release a record and for being a superior singer to Cheryl).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    Nadine would have been perfect, but she doesn't have Cowell, fantastic PR, and hype. It's incredible that as soon as an artist's network grows automatically, they're talented. Add good PR and they're a wonderful person that has never done any wrong. A few mimed tracks and they're "the one to watch" Sob stories and a fake prepped smile, teenage girls can't live without them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    The OP makes me think of those 'fans' who in 10+ years time will be the first to say "Cheryl Cole? yeah I didn't like her blah blah blah" when someone makes a thread asking who liked her when she as around lol.

Seriously, I wish people would admire REAL heroes and look up to people who deserve admiration and respect for achieving something from real adversity. Not a 'popstar' whose only real achievement appears to be marrying, divorcing and ruining the media image of a premiership footballer.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comprenda wrote: »
    The OP makes me think of those 'fans' who in 10+ years time will be the first to say "Cheryl Cole? yeah I didn't like her blah blah blah" when someone makes a thread asking who liked her when she as around lol.

Seriously, I wish people would admire REAL heroes and look up to people who deserve admiration and respect for achieving something from real adversity. Not a 'popstar' whose only real achievement appears to be marrying, divorcing and ruining the media image of a premiership footballer.

:confused:
    I think he done that himself.
  • Options
    Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does annoy me, when people say she cannot sing.

yes, she can sing, ok - her voice isn't ultra-powerful, it's not 1 of those voices where she can hit really high notes like Mariah or Whitney - but she has a nice pleasent, basic singing voice.

I think it's really unfair and harsh to say Cheryl cannot sing.
  • Options
    PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob22 wrote: »
    It does annoy me, when people say she cannot sing.

yes, she can sing, ok - her voice isn't ultra-powerful, it's not 1 of those voices where she can hit really high notes like Mariah or Whitney - but she has a nice pleasent, basic singing voice.

I think it's really unfair and harsh to say Cheryl cannot sing.

Yes, but Cheryl cannot really sing. If you watch any of her Popstars the Rivals performances it is pretty clear that she is not a very good singer. She is average at best and is barely in tune at other times, you could probably pick most girls off the street and they would be no worse a singer than Cheryl. Cheryl has had some ok pop songs, but her vocals are not great. She only got through Popstars because she is pretty and she got the geordie vote, she was in the bottom two twice so nearly didn't even get into the band. Compare one of her performances to Nadine or Nicola's and there is no comparisson, the difference in quality is actually embarassing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PheebShirl wrote: »
    Yes, but Cheryl cannot really sing. If you watch any of her Popstars the Rivals performances it is pretty clear that she is not a very good singer. She is average at best and is barely in tune at other times, you could probably pick most girls off the street and they would be no worse a singer than Cheryl. Cheryl has had some ok pop songs, but her vocals are not great. She only got through Popstars because she is pretty and she got the geordie vote, she was in the bottom two twice so nearly didn't even get into the band. Compare one of her performances to Nadine or Nicola's and there is no comparisson, the difference in quality is actually embarassing.

Really? - Girl off the street X Factor Audition

Cheryl Tweedy Popstars audition

Cheryl's is considerably better.
  • Options
    m1pnkm1pnk Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wonder if that cloakroom attendant was thinking the same as the op as that fist was flying into her face......shes a low life from a low-life family........and of course she cant chant a word(cant sing)
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl isn't even a bad singer, she just doesn't have the right songs to fit her voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m1pnk wrote: »
    i wonder if that cloakroom attendant was thinking the same as the op as that fist was flying into her face......shes a low life from a low-life family........and of course she cant chant a word(cant sing)

When and why was she fighting with a cloakroom attendant?
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Cheryl isn't even a bad singer, she just doesn't have the right songs to fit her voice.

Can't think of anything more 'right' for Cheryl than songs she currently sings which only require you to span one octave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF0wsK8x3Jk

Unless you can come up with a better solution for her...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Can't think of anything more 'right' for Cheryl than songs she currently sings which only require you to span one octave.

Unless you can come up with a better solution for her...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Watch what you ask for, they'll be saying half of Mariah Carey's back catalogue or something equally ridiculous.

Honestly she has the right songs that's the whole point, anything requiring more vocal strength would strain her voice; it if wouldn't then she'd have those songs already. Her management are aware of her vocal capability, hence why she is given the material she is given. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Very nice opening post, but it's not said anything different to what every tabloid paper and populist publication said every day for 2 years until about 6 months ago.
  • Options
    guffybearguffybear Posts: 1,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m1pnk wrote: »
    i wonder if that cloakroom attendant was thinking the same as the op as that fist was flying into her face......shes a low life from a low-life family

if the bog cleaner had kept her hands to herself she would not have had a fist flying into her face

i do not know the bog cleaner's family so i cannot comment on her family but i am sure there will be someone somewhere who things your comments are racist
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »

Classic. It always cracks me up when people think she is singing live when doing a dance routine, yet she can't stand still and get it right :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    :confused:
    I think he done that himself.

Actually the media did after he sued.. But she did prevent his move to real Madrid.

Why wouldn't Cheryl be anyone's idol? She's pretty and shows that's what it takes to get ahead.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classic. It always cracks me up when people think she is singing live when doing a dance routine, yet she can't stand still and get it right :rolleyes:

Exactly. I don't get how people called Cheryl brave for singing Fight For This Love 'live' on X Factor and around Europe, when it was so clearly mimed. It's just delusional to believe otherwise...:rolleyes:

She was so so lucky to get that song. I just wish it went to a better singer. I actually like the Andre Merritt version quite a bit. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny that when credibility is brought up, it's all Cheryl the Girls Aloud band member yet when it's about raising her status, it's all Cheryl the solo singer and oh yeah, she started off in some reality tv girlband.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny that when credibility is brought up, it's all Cheryl the Girls Aloud band member yet when it's about raising her status, it's all Cheryl the solo singer and oh yeah, she started off in some reality tv girlband.
    Out of all the girl bands, I do give credit to Girls Aloud for achieving what they did. They weren't expected to survive after the first single, then the first album and were taken for a ride by their management. Apparently Kimberely took over control of the admin and it's fair to say that when Hilary took over, she was the reason behind them going from the less glamours to the polished look. However, they did manage to survive until then when a lot of bands would've fallen apart.

Cheryl's solo success is definitely down to good management and connections. Nadine messed up in that she didn't play the game as well as Cheryl. Cheryl is smart enough to know that she's not smart enough to make it on her own and knows how to play the system to her advantage. Cheryl is definitely successful but I wouldn't call her credible.
  • Options
    DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the Americans are being told how wonderful she is as well :rolleyes: New Yorkers anyway ;)

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/04/cheryl_cole_primer.html
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    So did Keith.......OK, maybe the Rolling Stones back catalogue isn't quite as impressive as the body of work to date by Ms Cole but you've got to love a tryer.

:D PMSL