Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I agree that Louisa wanted some reconsiliation, but he wanted DM to make the first step. Invite her in. Start to talk. That's why she was so quick in turning around when he called her back.
    He isn't the kind of man who tries to change private decisions of others. He accepts them and settles in his own little shell.
    He also doesn't want to risk being rejected and hurt again. He has too many internal scars to risk one more. So, Louisa, you have to take the initiative, at least when it's important to you.

Yup. But I think she just can't take the risk at that point of being rejected. Especially perhaps when she feels she might have been in the wrong for abruptly walking out and knows how much she hurt him?

And I think it's totally on the money that DM will not force himself on anyone, especially perhaps Louisa -- actually it's a form of respect for her decisions maybe as well as not wanting to be rejected.

And as a man of integrity and some experience with contracts etc., he could not lightly consider not going through with his contract with Imperial, even if he now knew he was "wrong" about leaving. I do take your point, BodminDM, that he never felt he had a choice to make about LOndon, therefore saying that he chose London over his son is "a distortion."

But I don't think it's contradictory to say that he was also experiencing a strong and growing pull to stay in PW, perhaps without even knowing it. Or if it is contradictory -- well, we all have contradictory feelings sometimes, especially in such emotionally fraught situations.

Maybe "consult" with Louisa was the wrong word. But, just because she was remiss (I think she probably should have told him she was pregnant) doesn't mean he should be. He knew that he should tell her about London -- he just couldn't quite face up to doing so, until she found out by overhearing Edith. I think she was quite right to be indignant -- just as he was about not being told about her pregnancy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    But what really evolved (and what I think will compel him to do whatever he needs to break that contract) was the love that he developed for his son. Being there for the birth and holding him (both in the pub and then in the hospital room) was the start for him. He immediately started the lobbying to persuade her to move with him to London. He also (probably subconsciously) delayed leaving his baby by offering to drive them back to Portwenn and then asking to stay the night. Both of these requests were made very uncharacteristically softly, almost pleadingly. Then of course came delays due to AJ's death, then Dr Dibbs' illness, and finally the need to stay for two months because of the logistics of his temporary replacement. During this time he began to really bond with his son and the longer this went on, the more dificult it was going to be to leave. But Louisa solved that for him by deciding to move with him. So through the end of E6 his attachment to his son continued to grow, but that was fine because there would not be a need for separation. In E7, not only was he facing the loss of Louisa, but also his son. I think that was why he said he would be back most weekends even though his head would tell him how crazy that idea was. But at this point he couldn't imagine not seeing James or Louisa as often as possible - and perhaps by not abandoning them maybe convince Louisa that they could make it together.

Finally, in E8 was the crisis when James was missing. He and Louisa worked well together to rescue him and that seemed to cement the strength of their partnership. And James being in harm's way was almost a parallel of the sight of the wrecked taxi. This all led to his heart overriding his head - something he had probably never experienced.

Well said! We see that even in the first scene of the season - his bewildered expression holding the baby at hospital. Something was happening to him he didn't understand. It wasn't how he saw himself, what he planned for himself or what he could control.
    He freaks out seeing his son with the juvenile criminal. He freaks out when his son is drugged. He is like a mother hen.
    During the speech at the castle, you can see one moment when his face suddenly relaxes, his whole body language changes and then the words of love flow freely. I like the way you put it - his heart overriding his head. Brainy Doctor Ellingham let's Martin step forward and allows himself to be vulnerable.
    After the adrenaline rush, he is eager to assure Louisa: "I meant it. All of it."
    He wants to be nailed down, he commits himself. He doesn't give himself a chance to backtrack.
    After the first angst, I guess he almost enjoyed standing at the cliff's edge and finally saying all the things he never dared to say, which he had penned up inside of him. He looked almost liberated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    So being able to operate on Eleanor -- who was very definitely "somebody's mother" -- was a real victory.

Good point. Never thought of that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Well said! We see that even in the first scene of the season - his bewildered expression holding the baby at hospital. Something was happening to him he didn't understand. It wasn't how he saw himself, what he planned for himself or what he could control.
    He freaks out seeing his son with the juvenile criminal. He freaks out when his son is drugged. He is like a mother hen.
    During the speech at the castle, you can see one moment when his face suddenly relaxes, his whole body language changes and then the words of love flow freely. I like the way you put it - his heart overriding his head. Brainy Doctor Ellingham let's Martin step forward and allows himself to be vulnerable.
    After the adrenaline rush, he is eager to assure Louisa: "I meant it. All of it."
    He wants to be nailed down, he commits himself. He doesn't give himself a chance to backtrack.
    After the first angst, I guess he almost enjoyed standing at the cliff's edge and finally saying all the things he never dared to say, which he had penned up inside of him. He looked almost liberated.

I absolutely love that moment. So well done. It's like the dam burst.
  • mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Yup. But I think she just can't take the risk at that point of being rejected. Especially perhaps when she feels she might have been in the wrong for abruptly walking out and knows how much she hurt him?

And I think it's totally on the money that DM will not force himself on anyone, especially perhaps Louisa -- actually it's a form of respect for her decisions maybe as well as not wanting to be rejected.

This is where I think AR's comments really hit him. Your parents stayed together because of convention. We know his mother was dragged along behind her husband, wasting her life following a man who never cared what she was feeling. She blamed DM and while he knows the awkwardness between himself and LG is not the fault of his son, I think he's afraid of making her miserable nonetheless. This misery ended up making DM's childhood one of neglect and loneliness. I think he doesn't want a moment where LG is leaving him years down the road and telling JH she only stayed with his father because of him. (Forcing LG to give up her career and then sending JH off to boarding school as soon as possible would have been exactly like his dad.)

And that leads to the revelation in E8. He sees that LG will will do anything for their son and she refuses to abandon both of them. She is SO not Margaret. And he finally realizes he really does love LG and he wants a good relationship with his son and wants them to be a family. He doesn't have to be a selfish man ignoring those around him and JH is never going to be told he isn't loved or wanted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where and when filming in and around Port Isaac will take place this week? Do they still post those notices around town, or do we depend on behind-the-hand conversations with the crew or locals?

So far I don't think we've seen any notices, but leannethemouse directed us to this info:
    This was posted on the Stowaway Tea Shoppe Facebook page "Latest filming dates are as follows:
    21-24 May, 3, 4,5,6, 7,10,11,12, 13,14,19 June.
    Don't forget to come & see us & buy your official Doc Martin merchandise!"

I am there from the 17th-20th of May unfortunately. :-(

But unlike the past notices this doesn't tell us where they plan to film.

Leanne, it looks like you may miss filming in Port Isaac, but maybe you can get the scoop from the Stowaway Tea Shop about where outside of PI they're filming. I think that was the original source of info about the filming at the Castle Hotel and at the Springer Spaniel, wasn't it? And PoorRichard said she saw pink signs all over Cornwall where it seemed there was location filming going on. PoorRichard, what did those signs say? I can't remember.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I remember. They're pink arrow-shaped signs with "LOC" on them, aren't they?

Like this:

http://www.em-media.org.uk/images/library/LocSign.JPG
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    This is where I think AR's comments really hit him. Your parents stayed together because of convention. We know his mother was dragged along behind her husband, wasting her life following a man who never cared what she was feeling. She blamed DM and while he knows the awkwardness between himself and LG is not the fault of his son, I think he's afraid of making her miserable nonetheless. This misery ended up making DM's childhood one of neglect and loneliness. I think he doesn't want a moment where LG is leaving him years down the road and telling JH she only stayed with his father because of him. (Forcing LG to give up her career and then sending JH off to boarding school as soon as possible would have been exactly like his dad.)

And that leads to the revelation in E8. He sees that LG will will do anything for their son and she refuses to abandon both of them. She is SO not Margaret. And he finally realizes he really does love LG and he wants a good relationship with his son and wants them to be a family. He doesn't have to be a selfish man ignoring those around him and JH is never going to be told he isn't loved or wanted.

Great post, mazzieblue. I agree totally. I think maybe that underlies why he feels "defeated..." he feels that he's proven over the last few weeks what he feared at their wedding, that he could not make her happy, even though he thought he had tried his best. (we know though that his best was yet to come.) So he's resigned to letting her go. Your post really pulls it all together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »

Great post, mazzieblue. I agree totally. I think maybe that underlies why he feels "defeated..." he feels that he's proven over the last few weeks what he feared at their wedding, that he could not make her happy, even though he thought he had tried his best. (we know though that his best was yet to come.) So he's resigned to letting her go. Your post really pulls it all together.

Interesting posts, both of you. Do you think DM realized he was behaving like his own awful father? Boarding school for JH at a young age. Wanting LG to give up her career. Putting his career ahead of the happiness of his family (moving them to London). Making decisions without consulting LG. Showing little affection toward LG. Was he conscious of what he was doing or was he operating in a robotic way, considering that this was the only fatherly, husbandly behavior he knew of.

At some point it seems that the facts dawned on him, but I'm not sure when. Maybe it was a gradual realization, maybe it came to him after LG left him, or maybe it came in a blinding flash at the castle. Somehow, by the time JH had been rescued in E8, he knew, "I'm not going to be like my father", and everything changed.

Husbandly? I think I made up a word.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Ooh, Martin looks a little weak in the knees here. I think I'd better grab his arm. ;):cool::)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Throughout his life ME had to behave in a traiditonal way, and I think he continued that behavior in Portwenn, despite the blood phobia. For example, making his solitary breakfast, he arranged the toast in a caddy, placed his egg in an egg cup and poured his tea into a cup. He did not have to go to that bother for only himself, but "that is how things are done." As a father, I think he acted in a traditional way of the head of family. There is a child, the mother should care for the child and that should be her chief concern until, oddly enough, that child is shuttled off to board school at a young age. Martin had no role models for a modern father, so he had to behave in a manner he may have experienced or in a way he saw other men of his father's generation behave. I thought it was very interesting that Louisa referred to her baby book which would provide insight into current child rearing practices, but Martin relied only on his memories or his medical training. Had he consulted a book, internet website for fathers or even talked to someone like Chris Parsons or Roger Fenn, or any number of his patients, about fatherhood, he may not have acted in the manner he did. Tradition had served him well for his 40 plus years, and he turned to it to get him through what must have been a very disconcerting time as a new father and with the uncertainty of his job and his relationship with the child's mother. He grew quickly into the fatherhood role, but things may have been smoother in Season 5 if he had gotten advice on his role as a father.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Interesting posts, both of you. Do you think DM realized he was behaving like his own awful father? Boarding school for JH at a young age. Wanting LG to give up her career. Putting his career ahead of the happiness of his family (moving them to London). Making decisions without consulting LG. Showing little affection toward LG. Was he conscious of what he was doing or was he operating in a robotic way, considering that this was the only fatherly, husbandly behavior he knew of.

At some point it seems that the facts dawned on him, but I'm not sure when. Maybe it was a gradual realization, maybe it came to him after LG left him, or maybe it came in a blinding flash at the castle. Somehow, by the time JH had been rescued in E8, he knew, "I'm not going to be like my father", and everything changed.

Husbandly? I think I made up a word.

I have never understood this Biffpup.

His mother was stay at home, he was shuffled off to boarding school and didnt like it yet, after his appalling childhood he does exactly the same to JH. His big worry "I dont want to be like my father" yet he copies his father to the letter. :eek:

DMFan you may be right that "it was all he knew" but it seems incredible that an intelligent man like DM couldn't work it out a little sooner but I guess he IS completely hopeless when it comes to relationships with women (and babies it seems): (
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

His mother was stay at home, he was shuffled off to boarding school and didnt like it yet, after his appalling childhood he does exactly the same to JH. His big worry "I dont want to be like my father" yet he copies his father to the letter. :eek:

I think the emphasis on boarding school for JH is founded on DM's assumpton that it is there that JH will receive the best education and be successful in later life. The emotional side just never occurred to him at that point and we know from various references to Louisa's school that he has little faith in the state system of education.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »

I think the emphasis on boarding school for JH is founded on DM's assumpton that it is there that JH will receive the best education and be successful in later life. The emotional side just never occurred to him at that point and we know from various references to Louisa's school that he has little faith in the state system of education.

Yes but even if DM is right about boarding school they don't have to go until high school. MC said his daughter would never got to boarding school but in the end they did send her and they were happy the school.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member

Leanne, it looks like you may miss filming in Port Isaac, but maybe you can get the scoop from the Stowaway Tea Shop about where outside of PI they're filming. /QUOTE]

It's okay. I have managed to get my parents to look after my son so I can stay another night! :cool:

It's gunna be my "treat" holiday until my husband comes back from tour. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Leanne, it looks like you may miss filming in Port Isaac, but maybe you can get the scoop from the Stowaway Tea Shop about where outside of PI they're filming. /QUOTE]

It's okay. I have managed to get my parents to look after my son so I can stay another night! :cool:

Great news! I hope you catch sight of them. :)
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am glad you are getting to PI there Leeannethemouse! What a nice getaway for you. Pamper yourself while you are down there, you deserve it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I am so excited! I have been able to do a bit of sleuthing at home. Hopefully I can be more productive there :p

Does anyone recommend any places to visit in Cornwall too? I have never been on my own - I was wondering if anyone recommends places to visit. As I am completely husband and child free I won't know what to do with myself :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

DMFan you may be right that "it was all he knew" but it seems incredible that an intelligent man like DM couldn't work it out a little sooner but I guess he IS completely hopeless when it comes to relationships with women (and babies it seems): (

I think most of us just start off with the tapes in our head which record how our parents behaved with us. I know I've heard the exact same words come out of my mouth. (I never knew what my father meant when he said "We'll see" until I said it myself to one of my kids who wanted something I didn't want them to have at that time.) I don't think there's much motivation to change unless there's evidence that something isn't working or our partner -- like Louisa -- has radically different views.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Throughout his life ME had to behave in a traiditonal way, and I think he continued that behavior in Portwenn, despite the blood phobia. For example, making his solitary breakfast, he arranged the toast in a caddy, placed his egg in an egg cup and poured his tea into a cup. He did not have to go to that bother for only himself, but "that is how things are done." As a father, I think he acted in a traditional way of the head of family. There is a child, the mother should care for the child and that should be her chief concern until, oddly enough, that child is shuttled off to board school at a young age. Martin had no role models for a modern father, so he had to behave in a manner he may have experienced or in a way he saw other men of his father's generation behave. I thought it was very interesting that Louisa referred to her baby book which would provide insight into current child rearing practices, but Martin relied only on his memories or his medical training. Had he consulted a book, internet website for fathers or even talked to someone like Chris Parsons or Roger Fenn, or any number of his patients, about fatherhood, he may not have acted in the manner he did. Tradition had served him well for his 40 plus years, and he turned to it to get him through what must have been a very disconcerting time as a new father and with the uncertainty of his job and his relationship with the child's mother. He grew quickly into the fatherhood role, but things may have been smoother in Season 5 if he had gotten advice on his role as a father.

Traditional in some ways. Like his father in some ways. Completely unlike his father in other ways. He's a confusing fellow.

On the one hand, he does behave like his father, in a traditional way, in situations involving the structure of the family. The father/husband is the breadwinner, makes all the decisions, and the mother/wife doesn't have a career. The child is shipped off to boarding school so he can get the best education right from the start.

On the other hand, he's a much more involved dad than I assume his own horrible father was. He changes nappies, reads to the baby, feeds him, carries him around with him, talks to him, takes him for rides in the car to get him to sleep, sometimes goes into hyper-protective mode (like in the Angie Grappie incident), etc. He's a good daddy.

It's this family structure stuff where he acts like his own dad. Each family member has a certain role, their own "place". Dad's place is head-of-family and breadwinner. Mother's place is at home. Child's place is at an excellent boarding school as soon as possible.

DMFan, you're right that if he had gotten some advice, maybe he would have realized sooner that this rigid, traditional structure wasn't exactly the way to go. But would Martin accept advice? Maybe, as cc.cookie said, an intelligent man like DM had to work out for himself, which took awhile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most of us just start off with the tapes in our head which record how our parents behaved with us. I know I've heard the exact same words come out of my mouth. (I never knew what my father meant when he said "We'll see" until I said it myself to one of my kids who wanted something I didn't want them to have at that time.) I don't think there's much motivation to change unless there's evidence that something isn't working or our partner -- like Louisa -- has radically different views.

Right, NewPark. I remember the first time I heard my mother's voice and words coming out of my mouth. :eek: Freaked me out.

I guess it took a while, and a lot of evidence, for DM to get that motivation to change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yay! I'm jealous. I hope you get to see some filming. Should be a wonderful trip no matter what.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    The emotional side just never occurred to him at that point and we know from various references to Louisa's school that he has little faith in the state system of education.

Full of floor lickers!

I wonder if he'll stick with his statement at the castle that it doesn't matter where James goes to school. The sensible thing would be for him to stay in PW through primary school and not go off to a boarding school until he's older.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traditional in some ways. Like his father in some ways. Completely unlike his father in other ways. He's a confusing fellow.

On the one hand, he does behave like his father, in a traditional way, in situations involving the structure of the family. The father/husband is the breadwinner, makes all the decisions, and the mother/wife doesn't have a career. The child is shipped off to boarding school so he can get the best education right from the start.

On the other hand, he's a much more involved dad than I assume his own horrible father was. He changes nappies, reads to the baby, feeds him, carries him around with him, talks to him, takes him for rides in the car to get him to sleep, sometimes goes into hyper-protective mode (like in the Angie Grappie incident), etc. He's a good daddy.

It's this family structure stuff where he acts like his own dad. Each family member has a certain role, their own "place". Dad's place is head-of-family and breadwinner. Mother's place is at home. Child's place is at an excellent boarding school as soon as possible.

DMFan, you're right that if he had gotten some advice, maybe he would have realized sooner that this rigid, traditional structure wasn't exactly the way to go. But would Martin accept advice? Maybe, as cc.cookie said, an intelligent man like DM had to work out for himself, which took awhile.

We see that as soon as LG told DM that she was not going to let her son cry it out on his own, that he needed a cuddle, DM seemed to immediately give up the idea of babies being put in another room and ignored when crying, which is what his parents had done to him.

That's in the first episode. We see DM right after that being a much more engaged father, so I think her initial dismissal of the baby crying it out on his own, immediately gave DM some things to think about. If the baby was going to be cuddled instead, then perhaps he as the father could do some of the cuddling, caring, etc himself, driving the child onto the moor in the middle of the night, etc.

Let's also realize that it made financial sense for DM to be a London Head of Vascular Department, make a huge amount of money, enabling LG to have a year or two off to raise their son, with them living an easy life, and such. Many women would welcome that. I'm sure we all know women who are content not working and raising kids. It's not that unreasonable a thought.

LG, however, has spent her life gaining a sense of self through her work, as DM has through his. That she is resistant to adapting her sense of self to solely being a mother is understandable to the modern ear. But, neither DM or LG is really wrong in their thoughts, per se. Many women happily give up careers for child-raising, especially when the husband is a good provider. Other women wish to maintain their careers. There is not a right or wrong way to do it and I can definitely see and agree with both DM and LG's mindsets.

The issue is not who should work and who should not, not modern vs. traditional home life. This issue of course is that they could not just sit down and discuss this topic like healthy human beings; the recurrent and endless problem here in our favorite little show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I've kind of found another of the mystery locations. I haven't pinpointed it exactly, but I know approximately where it is. When Martin drives up to the pub where Louisa will give birth you can see a jagged mountaintop in the background. I know I have noticed this mountaintop before in some of the scenes on Bodmin Moor. I was exploring the other day and spotted it. It is just east of Camelford.

I haven't yet found the actual group of buildings, but I will keep looking. I suspect it is a small farm and the building on the right that is supposed to be the pub is the farmhouse. So it is probably down an unmapped lane and I will probably never get a street view. Of course, poorrichard just gave us a treasure trove of interior pictures from the pub where the interior scenes were shot - The Old Inn in St Breward.

Here is what I have found for this exterior location:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/8716295040/in/set-72157632883499538
    That jagged hilltop has a name. Locals lovingly refer to it as "Brown Willie." It has been the site of prehistoric settlement (according to Betjeman) and, in modern times, ritual witchcraft (according to the witchcraft museum in Boscastle). "The moor" (hear it in Wallace Flint's tone of voice, or with twang of banjo as in "the Portwenn Effect") is indeed a strange and atmospheric place.

I can't believe I found it! The birthpub exterior. It's actually a holiday cottage (practically in the middle of nowhere). That hill is Rough Tor (Brown Willy is next to it). Take Roughtor Road out of Camelford toward Rough Tor itself. Pass Roughtor Farm, then right on no name (apparently) road leading to Watergate. In between Roughtor Rd and Watergate is another no-name road to the left. At the end of the road, there it is! It's Poldue Cottage, in a little group of buildings. Photos and map are at this website:

http://www.classic.co.uk/holiday-cottage/desc-2365.html

On google maps (hope this link works -- if it does, Poldue Cottage & little group of buildings should be right in the middle):
    http://goo.gl/maps/HHQw9
This discussion has been closed.