Bad news for Xbox One Fans.

2»

Comments

• DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really news, this was announced a while ago.
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Not my cuppa. Thought these button mash beat me ups were old hat but presume there's still a market.

"Button Mash" doesn't really do it justice. Street Fighter has one of the most intricate and complicated gameplay systems in the genre. You try button mashing against someone who's played the game for a long time, and you'll get absolutely ruined.
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Is the Street Fighter game series the system seller that it may have once been?

Street Fighter still has that same hardcore fanbase. Street Fighter IV received A LOT of buzz when it was released. Many still perceive it as the greatest fighting franchise in video games.
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I doubt many people will be disappointed by this news.

As I say above, Street Fighter still has it's hardcore fanbase. There'll be absolutely loads of X1 owners who'll be gutted about this, guaranteed.

I personally am not that interested in Street Fighter, or the beat-em-up genre in general. So I won't be buying this, even though I own a PS4. As others have said, I'd prefer to play Rise of the Tomb Raider. But make no bones about it, Sony have one upped Microsoft here. SF is a much bigger scoop than Tomb Raider, even if that wasn't a timed exclusive.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I think people may not have been as unhappy about TR being a timed exclusive if Uncharted had not been delayed until next year.

The big problem for me with the TR exclusive is that the game was seemingly announced as a 3rd party game at one show only to become exclusive during the next show. Had it been XB1 exclusive from the get go it wouldnt have been anywhere near as annoying for me. It felt like MS was taking it away from Playstation gamers with the way all that went down.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The big problem for me with the TR exclusive is that the game was seemingly announced as a 3rd party game at one show only to become exclusive during the next show. Had it been XB1 exclusive from the get go it wouldnt have been anywhere near as annoying for me. It felt like MS was taking it away from Playstation gamers with the way all that went down.

Even then it was all very shady. MS allowed people to believe it was a full exclusive, even did their best to dodge the issue, when it turns out itwas timed all along.

Just imagine if PS4 Uncharted Collection outsells Xbox One Tomb Raider. The fallout would be immense.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just imagine if PS4 Uncharted Collection outsells Xbox One Tomb Raider. The fallout would be immense.

Hardly. Besides, surely this is pretty much inevitable considering the PS4's larger install base.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,836
    Forum Member
    A lot of people on here do... Don't they??

You said 'most' people. I very much doubt most people have both unless you have evidence otherwise.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Hardly. Besides, surely this is pretty much inevitable considering the PS4's larger install base.

I'd be surprised if the Uncharted collection didn't outsell Rise of the Tomb Raider. As you say, there are a lot more people on PS4, and there's no risk involved here. We already know there's 3 great games in a single bundle, and there'll be a lot of people who jumped from 360 to PS4 who will have never had the chance to play them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »

I agree, it probably is inevitable. But a lot of fanboys will take great joy when a bunch of old PS3 games outsells a brand new title that MS paid a lot of money for when the purpose of the deal was to combat Uncharted 4. (especially when the way the deal was done pissed a lot of people off)
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Street fighter not on X1 to Tomb Raider vs Uncharted... only on gaming forums lol
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Street fighter not on X1 to Tomb Raider vs Uncharted... only on gaming forums lol

Judging by the first page, not many around here give a crap about SF.

We gotta talk about something :):D
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ROTTR was announced during Microsoft's Xbox briefing at E3 last June, with a trailer that only mentioned Xbox One.

Then at Gamescom last August it was specifically stated to be Xbox exclusive, with a clarification shortly afterwards that the exclusivity "had a duration".

So it's not like it appeared to be multiplatform at first, only to be snatched away later on. The implication from the very beginning was that it was Xbox-only.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    ROTTR was announced during Microsoft's Xbox briefing at E3 last June, with a trailer that only mentioned Xbox One.

Then at Gamescom last August it was specifically stated to be Xbox exclusive, with a clarification shortly afterwards that the exclusivity "had a duration".

So it's not like it appeared to be multiplatform at first, only to be snatched away later on. The implication from the very beginning was that it was Xbox-only.

Console makers are desperate to use the word 'exclusive' at every possible opportunity during their briefings, general rule of thumb is if the word 'exclusive doesn't get banded about its multi-format.

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare was also announce during E3 at the MS show and only mentioned Xbox, should we have assumed that was Xbox exclusive
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's just marketing rights and happens all the time. It in no way implied exclusivity.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always assumed that the semi sequels, you know "SF5 turbo hyper world fisticuffs" or whatever would be multi platform, but they did mention that they were platform exclusive for this "numbered run".
    Given the choice I would rather have earlier access to the Tomb Raider game but that is just my gaming preference.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member

But why would MS advertise the PS4 in one of there press conferences.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    I think Square, Crystal Dynamics & Microsoft have handled the ROTTR deal very badly & sent out a dozen mixed messages over the past year to the point where were still not 100% sure what the actual deal is. Everyone assumes it will come to PS4 but thats still not 100% certain because of the constant mixed messaging.

There was even something a few weeks ago that again implied lifetime XB1 exclusivity with the 'has a duration' line been thrown out again the next day.

At least Sony/Capcom have been clear from the initial announcement that its a PS4 lifetime exclusive rather than dancing around the issue as has been the case with ROTTR.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    i used to be a big fan of 2d fighters, I found they took minutes to figure out but hours upon hours to master.I still like watching some of the big tournies.

Saying that, i think Streetfighter is one of the weaker 2d fighting series that gets by on its past. There are many 2d fighting games that i enjoy more. If i had a choice, i would much prefer Guilty Gear Xrd to come to the Xbox one than Streetfighter.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I think Square, Crystal Dynamics & Microsoft have handled the ROTTR deal very badly & sent out a dozen mixed messages over the past year to the point where were still not 100% sure what the actual deal is. Everyone assumes it will come to PS4 but thats still not 100% certain because of the constant mixed messaging.

There was even something a few weeks ago that again implied lifetime XB1 exclusivity with the 'has a duration' line been thrown out again the next day.

At least Sony/Capcom have been clear from the initial announcement that its a PS4 lifetime exclusive rather than dancing around the issue as has been the case with ROTTR.

I can kinda see where the confusion came from.

Imagine MS has 6 months exclusivity on ROTTR on the X1 and after that it's released on PC and PS4. How does MS convey that message without promoting the PS4. They want to use this situation to get people to buy X1s but if they say it'll be on the PS4 6 months later then people with PS4s will just wait, and people who were on the fence about which to buy would still be on the fence. Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics are tied by MS to keep quiet and Sony can't say anything either as either they don't know (doubtful) or there must be some agreement in place that this is Microsofts news to tell.

A little clarity would be nice as the situation is shit for the consumer as they don't know what's happening with this game. But it's easy to see where it went wrong.

Is there any way they could have done this deal without causing confusion ? (Excluding telling us when/if it will hit PS4)
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beat um ups are boring unless played multiplayer. and now i am in my thirties that very rarely happens
  • ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still a huge SF fan...its true that it doesnt have the big fanbase it once did, but for me its still the best beat em up out there. Sometimes you just get tired of FPS games and welcome some retro games
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    beat um ups are boring unless played multiplayer. and now i am in my thirties that very rarely happens

Local MP for me and mine.

At least twice a month....... Food, beer, SF or Tekken/Tag, pub, club, bed (or nearest bush:blush:)
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Local MP for me and mine.

At least twice a month....... Food, beer, SF or Tekken/Tag, pub, club, bed (or nearest bush:blush:)

pro evoltuion soccer is the only game i play local MP with now.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Many still perceive it as the greatest fighting franchise in video games.

and fighting games haven't been 'big' for a long time now. Most players have moved on from them, SF4 racked up 3 million sales. http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

The most recent Tomb Raider got 8 million, the GTAs and COD games get 20m+.