facebook groups slam EE story

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    care to elaborate op?

Although i wouldn't pay too much attention, afterall some of the FB 'groups' out there are a joke.
  • wisdomiskeywisdomiskey Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    bambii wrote: »
    care to elaborate op?

Although i wouldn't pay too much attention, afterall some of the FB 'groups' out there are a joke.

Wasn't there a facebook group wanting that Danielle back from the dead!

:D
  • MadWorld_NESMadWorld_NES Posts: 37,961
    Forum Member
    care to elaborate op?

It's a group of mothers of children that died of SIDS (called Angel parents, I've heard of them before) complaining that the Ronnie story will give the impression that all parents who have a baby who dies of cot death will want to snatch someone elses child. It's not a joke, I'm reading the page and they're taking it very seriously, complaining to the BBC and SIDS advice groups.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the Beeb i rubbing its sodden hands with glee, 'cos controversey means viewers.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the Beeb is rubbing its sodden hands with glee, 'cos controversey means viewers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a group of mothers of children that died of SIDS (called Angel parents, I've heard of them before) complaining that the Ronnie story will give the impression that all parents who have a baby who dies of cot death will want to snatch someone elses child. It's not a joke, I'm reading the page and they're taking it very seriously, complaining to the BBC and SIDS advice groups.

Surely if they actually watch EE and know of Ronnie's character, her problems of wanting a baby so desperately stems back into her past (basically from her teens) and her taking Kat's baby will not be soley down to SIDS. I can imagine some parents who do not watch Eastenders and have had a baby who has died of SIDS having a problem with this plot and I know it is a sensitive storyline but EE has always pushed the boundaries and they make great drama out of it, so some need to give it a chance.
    Forum Member

Yet Kat isn't seen to rush out and snatch a child so that theory is floored.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,259
    Forum Member
    I bet they will still watch it though :D
    Forum Member
    Every plot on every TV show could be called hurtful and blasted under this logic; I'm sorry something terrible happened to these people however they're not the only people on the planet that watch TV and it's unrealistic to remove everything potentially hurtful from TV shows like this.
  • Sally LinzSally Linz Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All good for EE. Some free publicity. :D

I hope it was someone from the group who contacted The Sun in the first place or that this is the mastermind of an EE Press Officer. Ratings should be good now. The bosses will be rubbing their hands together with glee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

While I can understand their anguish, its a bit daft to think that all parents that lost a child will want to steal another baby. Its like saying that all woman that find their man cheating will stab themselves and frame the other woman?

I think once it is aired we will see that is not just ronnie deciding that because her baby is dead she is going to steal someone elses. Its a spur of the moment outragous decision made by someone who is in shock.
  • MadWorld_NESMadWorld_NES Posts: 37,961
    Forum Member
    While I can understand their anguish, its a bit daft to think that all parents that lost a child will want to steal another baby. Its like saying that all woman that find their man cheating will stab themselves and frame the other woman?

I think once it is aired we will see that is not just ronnie deciding that because her baby is dead she is going to steal someone elses. Its a spur of the moment outragous decision made by someone who is in shock.

I agree, I can understand that it'll be very distressing for them but it's a sign of Ronnie's unsettled mind (like with the Lucas storyline - not all Christians are murderers!) and doesn't suggest that all mothers would do that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have facebook so I can't see the group. But surely they should wait until after they've seen it. From the spoilers I've read I got no such impression.
  • thebill22thebill22 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet Kat isn't seen to rush out and snatch a child so that theory is floored.

Can you imagine that. Ronnie's baby dies, she steals Kats baby. Kats realises baby is dead so steals Ronnies baby, not realising its her baby anyway.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL how ridiculous. Of course everyone will believe whatever EE shows must be completely true. :rolleyes:
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly I'm not surprised these mothers are upset. This ghastly, wretched storyline is sick. Eastenders and the BBC are playing to the lowest common denominator whilst hiding behind the absurd claim that they are somehow being controversial or edgy.

What amazes me is that they think they can draw this bile inducing rubbish out for two bloody years. Two seconds would be too long for this offensive tripe.:rolleyes:
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    Frankly I'm not surprised these mothers are upset. This ghastly, wretched storyline is sick. Eastenders and the BBC are playing to the lowest common denominator whilst hiding behind the absurd claim that they are somehow being controversial or edgy.

What amazes me is that they think they can draw this bile inducing rubbish out for two bloody years. Two seconds would be too long for this offensive tripe.:rolleyes:
    i Think it's a good storyline actually
    But tbf i've not really heard you say a good word about EastEnders.

Anyway back last week a women in the same position had an interview with the Daily mirror and she had a screening on these episodes becuase the BBC were working with her and other people that has been in this position before.

She praised the storyline along with the press

No one is making them watch it anyway
    it's just a sad attempt at getting themselves heard
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another load of people moaning if a storyline dosent go the way they want it to :rolleyes:

Eastenders has been airing controversial storylines for as long as I can remember, why are people suprised :confused:

The day the writers or whoever start listening to these moaners is the beginning of the end for Eastenders and it will go the same way as big brother.
  • EastiesRules!EastiesRules! Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Delboy_RKO wrote: »
    Another load of people moaning if a storyline dosent go the way they want it to :rolleyes:

Eastenders has been airing controversial storylines for as long as I can remember, why are people suprised :confused:

The day the writers or whoever start listening to these moaners is the beginning of the end for Eastenders and it will go the same way as big brother.

Not just the end of EastEnders but the end of all shows. Emmerdale, Corrie they would also suffer greatly from tv having to dumb down to not offend. The tram crash would have never been able to happen had Corrie listened to moaners who had been involved in real train and tram crashes.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    Not just the end of EastEnders but the end of all shows. Emmerdale, Corrie they would also suffer greatly from tv having to dumb down to not offend. The tram crash would have never been able to happen had Corrie listened to moaners who had been involved in real train and tram crashes.
    EastEnders thrives on these type of storylines and has allways gone out darker then the other soaps (most of the time)
  • WiganUser1WiganUser1 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Firstly, People who have suffered from cot death, and other issues shown on tv, have my deepest sympathy. I've never experienced it (thankfully), and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

However, I think these groups on facebooks/protests and complaints that have been done in the past need to stop!

Eastenders is nothing but a story, fiction, it's not real !!! & has always been that way, like all other soaps. I don't watch it and think that its a summary of all people affected by a certain storyline...ie. just cos Stacey Slater murdered the man who raped her, I don't expect rape victims to go and murder their rapist, just as I don't expect everyone who has been cheated on to arrange a fake wedding, transfer their fellas money into their own account and then jilt him at the alter!!

If a programme is going to offend you, upset you, or isn't a story line you feel comfortable watching then it's simple, dont watch it!!
  • EastiesRules!EastiesRules! Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    WiganUser1 wrote: »
    Firstly, People who have suffered from cot death, and other issues shown on tv, have my deepest sympathy. I've never experienced it (thankfully), and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

However, I think these groups on facebooks/protests and complaints that have been done in the past need to stop!

Eastenders is nothing but a story, fiction, it's not real !!! & has always been that way, like all other soaps. I don't watch it and think that its a summary of all people affected by a certain storyline...ie. just cos Stacey Slater murdered the man who raped her, I don't expect rape victims to go and murder their rapist, just as I don't expect everyone who has been cheated on to arrange a fake wedding, transfer their fellas money into their own account and then jilt him at the alter!!

If a programme is going to offend you, upset you, or isn't a story line you feel comfortable watching then it's simple, dont watch it!!

Totally agree. What angers me about these people as well is that they are complaining before it airs, will watch it knowing full well what the content is and then complain that the content wasn't suitable despite knowing what they let themselves in for.
  • Sarah.OXSarah.OX Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The link won't work for me. What's the name of the facebook group?
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a group of mothers of children that died of SIDS (called Angel parents, I've heard of them before) complaining that the Ronnie story will give the impression that all parents who have a baby who dies of cot death will want to snatch someone else's child. It's not a joke, I'm reading the page and they're taking it very seriously, complaining to the BBC and SIDS advice groups.

Although I really do feel for these women, they've been through something that most of us don't like even thinking about, it is rather naive of them to believe that we'll all think bereaved SIDS mothers turn into baby snatchers.

We all know how Soaps work, and nowadays they're getting more and more extreme in their plotlines e.g. couldn't just have the baby dying (which would be bad enough FGS) they had to 'add on' with Ronnie snatching Kat's baby. The vast majority of people know they can be OTT in this way. As others have rightly said - no one expects people to go round poisoning cheating husbands or cold bloodedly murdering their rapist etc all which have been storylines in the last year!

If Ronnie's actions are portrayed as a spur of the moment decision then fine (bearing in mind Ronnie's tragic history), but if they have the storyline dragging on for weeks on end without her confessing that she has another woman's baby then I'LL be annoyed along with these mums because that definitely will be too much with the producers obviously going for sensationalism rather than realism. THIS I can well imagine annoying this group and others who are concerned.

HOWEVER, the offending episodes haven't even been shown yet so it's all speculation. I think everyone should calm down and wait and see what actually happens and, more importantly, how it's portrayed. I'm convinced it won't be crass or insensitive in any way, most likely the complete opposite. And it will highlight a subject which is usually avoided like the plague in Soaps - isn't it well over 20 years since the last cot death? (The Osman's - their harrowing story has stayed with me all these years).

Take away the more OTT aspects of this storyline and you never know, it might actually end up doing a lot of good highlighting a tragedy which affects many families but which is so often hidden from our TV screens.
  • pixxyypixxyy Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we need to wait til it's shown, EE have shown in the past that they are really good with sensitive storylines.

The storyline is very similar to a recent 'One Life To Live'( American Soap) one. Where One of the characters swapped her dead baby for her cousins.