Options

Liz Bonnin is an awful bbc presenter where did they find her?

Comments

• Options
    stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stardog wrote: »
    This Super Smart Animals program is dire. She's false and you don't buy that she has a clue what she's talking about.

I wish they'd keep this kind of rubbish for children's TV before 5pm.

Totally disagree. The program is good for what it is and Liz is doing a good job.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stardog wrote: »
    This Super Smart Animals program is dire. She's false and you don't buy that she has a clue what she's talking about.I wish they'd keep this kind of rubbish for children's TV before 5pm.

Bonnin was born in France to a French father who is a dentist and Trinidadian mother.[citation needed] One of her grandfathers is from India.[citation needed] The family moved to Ireland when she was 10 years old.[citation needed] She has a bachelor's degree in biochemistry from [Trinity College Dublin][1] and also holds a master's in Wild Animal Biology from the Zoological Society of London and the Royal Veterinary College (2008), for which she tracked tigers in Nepal.[2][3] She continues to work on big cat conservation programmes at the Zoological Society.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Is that really a normal Dublin accent?

She sounds Scottish-American.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Is that really a normal Dublin accent?

She sounds Scottish-American.

She was born in France and moved to Dublin whan 10 , it would be a normal enough upper class accent for Southside Dublin , although Liz has a touch of another accent presumably from her childhhood .
  • Options
    Cherry7UpCherry7Up Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen any of her shows,but remember Liz Bonnin from when she was in 'Chill' - a girlgroup that seemed to be in the Irish tabloids every day for about a year. Hyped up to be the next big thing,and then they broke up without anyone having heard them sing anything !
    Another member - Louise Loughman - went on to become a presenter too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    She often seems to have a peculiar scrunched up look on her face that if she was a baby you'd think she'd soiled herself.
  • Options
    NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to laugh when she called herself a scientist in todays programme

To be a scientist you should be attached to an organisation preferably academic (not the BBC), publish papers in peer reveiewed journals, secure research grants and do research every day.

Not read out of an autocue that some BBC producer has dug out of text books.

sorry love, scientist you are not. Just having a Masters from a few years ago and an interest in biology does not make you a scientist.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nansbread wrote: »

To be a scientist you should be attached to an organisation preferably academic (not the BBC), publish papers in peer reveiewed journals, secure research grants and do research every day.

sorry love, scientist you are not. Just having a Masters from a few years ago and an interest in biology does not make you a scientist.

Cynic. :p

I thought it was a fantastic programme and I was impressed with most of what I saw. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I liked her , she seems like a nice girl and inoffensive, no idea why she would bring out negativity in people
  • Options
    Trains123Trains123 Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Don't care for her,but she is no worse than so many poor presenters on TV at the moment. Many of them seem to be intellectually far less capable than this woman. And some of them also have the really nagging cockney or Essex accent, which can make even bright people sound dumb.
  • Options
    TomStarTomStar Posts: 2,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is a decent enough presenter for the beeb particularly for these family type shows. Most of the criticism is from nearly a year ago. Personally I much prefer her presenting than most of the ITV presenters for example...
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"She continues to work on big cat conservation programmes at the Zoological Society."

You can stop laughing now.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan. Her interviewing is robotic and bordering on rude.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reads like some of the snobbishness there was from some in the scientific community when scientists first started appearing on radio and television. There have been many great scientists in the past who do not meet your attempt at defining a closed shop for academic scientists.

I presume you also are careful to not call anyone an engineer without checking his Chartered Engineer status.
  • Options
    NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "She continues to work on big cat conservation programmes at the Zoological Society."

You can stop laughing now.

no, i am laughing even louder, would love to see her publications.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind the accent, what about the parrot Alex who knew the difference in colour?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah, scientists have wild hair and talk about flux capacitors or ride on the modern equivalent of magic carpets and you never, ever, want to bonk them.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible presenter. But French, West Indian, Indian and Irish she ticks so many of the BBC boxes she must need a continuation sheet.;)

and ticks so many boxes for people not to like it seems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member

It does appear that you have a somewhat personal dislike to Liz. From the encounters that I have had with her I cannot seem to find anything to support your loathing.

For a person to be called a scientist I'd expect them to have an indepth knowledge of a physical or natural science. As she not only has a Bachelors in Biochemistry she has a Masters in Wild Animal Biology and I would say that makes her an expert within certain fields and subsequently a scientist as far as I am concerned.

You may be getting confused with what is called a Professor when stating that she should be attached to an academic institution. With regards the research, well that is done in part by undergraduates during study. Who by the way, I would still refer to as scientists. It is also these same people and the organisations that they read at that generally are at the forefront of scientific discovery which is mainly due to the funding available.

Please don't judge someone in a field that you seem to have no or little knowledge about.
  • Options
    kenny brockellykenny brockelly Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and ticks so many boxes for people not to like it seems.

She can tick my box anytime, etc,etc.
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to wake up next to her, every morning, for ever !

Intelligent, articulate and beautiful.

Love the accent too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I have always found her very beautiful and have always thought her presenting skills are better than most on TV
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourite presenters.

I often feel that I can see why some may have issues with some presenter or other, but not in this case.
    Considering the general calibre of many TV presenters I'd say that Liz Bonnin is one of the rare cases where I can appreciate her for being a cut above what I've usually come to expect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I really don't understand all the hate for Liz Bonnin. So she has in Irish accent, what the **** does that matter?!

At least she has a brain and can use polysyllabic words, which immediately puts her well ahead of most TV presenters these days (male or female). Furthermore she's even presenting an interesting factual show which you can learn a thing or two from, unlike most of the banal trash that fills our screens these says (e.g. TOWIE).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Twelve years ago the Beeb decided that social engineering was much more fun than reporting news and information.
    There was a conscious mangement decision to "engage" with sections of the audience considered "hard to reach". To address these people at the margin, it was felt that a new cadre of presenters was require, ready blighted from a poor education and preferably an impenetrable accent too.

Flexing anti-discrimination criteria to breaking point, foreign nationals and the semi-literate seem propelled to the head of the queue.

We are now able to experience twenty minutes of explanation around an obvious fact, handed down to us by prompt-reading presenters, on salaries they once only dreamed of.