Options

Driving...Approaching Traffic Lights

windowseatwindowseat Posts: 262
Forum Member
A few weeks ago my son passed his driving test. For the time being he is going to use the family car and we have been out with him mainly because it’s a larger car and making sure he is use to it before he goes out by himself. We have found that when he approaches traffic lights he travels up to the car in front in 4th gear then suddenly brakes. He said he has been taught this way. I have been driving over 30 yrs and I think it has become instinctive to change down into 3rd or even 2nd gear and stopped gently especially if you can see the cars have stopped.
I have commented that he is approaching lights to fast and that if he should at least change down to third gear to at least slow him down.
Also when he comes to a junction, he stops, puts it into 1st gear then if necessary puts the hand brake on. When he first started in our car he started to roll back because he wasn’t quick enough to change into first gear but he is getting better but I still think he should apply the handbrake more. So what is it first? Handbrake or change gear then handbrake? Now I’ve been out with him I even get confused myself explaining it to him!
Travelling in the back of the car with him I found at the traffic lights we came to a sudden halt when I am sure he should be coasting up to the lights more gently especially when cars are waiting at the lights,
My husband said he sometimes stops at the lights in 4th gear but I consider this only if the cars have come to a sudden halt. I know going over traffic lights it should be in 3rd gear but I find this way of driving a bit unnerving.
I have thought he must have been doing it correctly to pass his test but at the moment it has become our family discussion!
Are learners taught a different way now or have I picked up my own habits over the years, I would like to say I have fortunately only ever been involved in a minor accident which wasn’t my fault so I’d like to think I have been doing something right!
Any advise would be appreciated, are you learning to drive at the moment and are you being taught this way?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    I should say the cars have stopped at traffic lights.
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was taught to change down gears to slow down before applying the brakes when I learnt back in 1984. But I seem to recall that there's no need to do that anymore because cars have evolved technologically.

I do still tend to change down much of the time, simply because quite often it means you don't have to stop or use the brakes at all as the car has slowed down sufficiently before the lights change or a space becomes clear to enter the roundabout.

And I'd rather approach traffic lights/a roundabout etc gently rather than coming to a sudden halt!

Not sure if I've been any help here, sorry. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your post.

Maybe new cars might be capable of this kind of driving but my car is 12 yrs old and it must be a bit of a shock for it!
    Would it consume more petrol driving like this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine has been taking lessons this year and from what you've said, either your son has not been taught correctly or he has forgotten and has immediately slipped into bad habits. You are supposed to change down gears and slow down and the handbrake goes on first, then change to gear one or neutral.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I learned 8 years ago and was taught to drive up and halt suddenly. (edit, I slowed down, but left the car in 4th, or whatever. Then once stopped, put the car into gear ready to move off.)

Through time, I've learned to read the road, look at the traffic lights situation and gauge for myself what to do - slow down or continue at same speed.

At junctions I was taught brake, handbrake, gear, release handbrake, move off. I often skipped the handbrake part, as it was an extra thing to remember.

8 years now, my parents have said I'm a good driver, but I'm still not allowed behind the wheel of their car!! :D
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get hold of a copy of Roadcraft, which is based on the police driving course and used by organisations such as the IAM for the advanced driving test, you'll see there is no mention of changing gears if braking to a halt. In fact it says you should keep both hands on the wheel during braking.

The correct way to brake to a halt is to do it progressively. Start with a gentle pressure and increase progressively then as the vehicle slows down gradually release the pressure so that when you come to a halt you are barely touching the pedal (unless on a hill when you need to keep some brake pressure on to avoid rolling off). Get it right and you can come to a halt smoothly, rather than have everyone in the car thrown forward when stopping.

And it should be handbrake first to make the vehicle secure before you faff about doing anything else. That way if your foot slips off the clutch you don't end up rear ending the car in front.

And why do you say you should go over lights in 3rd? You select the gear based on the speed and road conditions. If that means 4th is appropriate then why do an unnecessary gear change?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was taught 3rd gear going over lights by my instructor many years ago but like you have pointed out it depends on traffic conditions etc.

I appreciate all the replies posted here, I will pass these postings onto my son when my son next times goes out in my car!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Yes, they are taught differently nowadays, alas. "Gears are for going, brakes are for stopping" is the watchword now. Personally I think it's rubbish, as to my mind you should always be in the correct gear. But I drive for a living, so what would I know?
  • Options
    liblobliblob Posts: 21,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always changed gears to slow down but there was a report on BBC news a while ago and they had a reporter driving a car that had a monitor for fuel consumption. If he changed gears to slow down he used more petrol if he braked and went from 4th to 1st he used less.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I am approaching lights, I gauge when they are going to change and adjust my speed accordingly. For instance, if I see the lights in the distance are at red, I slow down so that by the time get to them, they have changed to green and I can carry on. If they are green, I weill assume that they will change to red soon and, again I;ll slow down so that I'm not screeching to a halt. This is the most economical way to drive. If you brake whilst in top gear, you are wasting the energy that you used to get to speed.
  • Options
    Seb ScorchSeb Scorch Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I jump red lights. I also drive too fast. In fact I think I'm gonna change my tyre pressure to between 40 and 50 psi
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, this was the way I was taught in 2006 and through the IAM course. Interestingly my brother uses gears to slow and he was taught about 2000/2001.

I'd brake to the speed I need to be at then choose a gear and go. If that is coming to a complete stop, I'd brake in whatever gear I was in, dipping the clutch when the speed is too slow for that gear.

I'd imagine it did less wear to the transmission as when you're using the gears to slow the clutch and syncromesh will be taking any mismatch between road and engine speed.

My 1980s technology 20 year old car seems happy enough with this, though the brakes compared to modern cars are terrible. Maybe that's why using gears to slow was more popular in the past? Whenever I drive anything modern like my parents' Colt I nearly go through the windscreen the first few times I brake!
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, this was the way I was taught in 2006 and through the IAM course. Interestingly my brother uses gears to slow and he was taught about 2000/2001.

I'd brake to the speed I need to be at then choose a gear and go. If that is coming to a complete stop, I'd brake in whatever gear I was in, dipping the clutch when the speed is too slow for that gear.

I'd imagine it did less wear to the transmission as when you're using the gears to slow the clutch and syncromesh will be taking any mismatch between road and engine speed.

My 1980s technology 20 year old car seems happy enough with this, though the brakes compared to modern cars are terrible. Maybe that's why using gears to slow was more popular in the past? Whenever I drive anything modern like my parents' Colt I nearly go through the windscreen the first few times I brake!

I was taught this was last year
  • Options
    Andy_EnglandAndy_England Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Yes, they are taught differently nowadays, alas. "Gears are for going, brakes are for stopping" is the watchword now. Personally I think it's rubbish, as to my mind you should always be in the correct gear. But I drive for a living, so what would I know?

Engine braking was useful when brakes were rubbish, but with modern disc brakes it really isn't necessary to use the engine. I suspect that they're taught to stay in higher gear and roll up to the car in front for reasons of fuel efficiency. I always stay in fourth and let the car slow itself, then brake to a stop. :cool:

Did I read the original post wrongly, or has he been taught to continue at circa 30 until he's almost upon the back of the car in front, then hit the brakes? To my mind, that's nuts! What if the brakes were to fail?:eek:
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I wonder whether this principle of stopping in fourth is the reason so many drivers stop several cars' length behind the car in front? Then they set off again and creep forward. If you've been taught to change down as you slow down (as I was) it gets frustrating having to stop whilst the driver in front decides when to catch up with the car in front of him or her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they're just rubbish :D

My experience is that people do full speed up to your back then slam on, leaving a Rizla's width between their car and yours.

My heart is often in my mouth looking in the rear view mirror :eek:
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Interesting. I wonder whether this principle of stopping in fourth is the reason so many drivers stop several cars' length behind the car in front? Then they set off again and creep forward. If you've been taught to change down as you slow down (as I was) it gets frustrating having to stop whilst the driver in front decides when to catch up with the car in front of him or her.

Probably not, if you're taught to drive without going down the gears when coming to a stop then you should be able to judge the distance needed to stop. I agree with the other poster they are just rubbish!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anticipation is key. Lift off the throttle early rather than using the brakes later - it saves fuel and reduces wear and tear on the braking system. That doesn't mean changing down instead of braking - that's bad. Not only do you save fuel but the longer approach means you give the lights more time to change and the queue to disperse. If you've timed it right you'll never come to a stop and may never need to touch the brakes.

I always aim to drive everywhere without needing my brakes and I usually manage it as long as the traffic isn't too heavy even though I drive an auto with a torque converter(*). If traffic is very heavy it's best to avoid the technique because less knowledgeable drivers get irate at the gaps you're leaving and are tempted to do stupid things.

(*)Means less engine braking. No matter what speed I'm doing I only ever get the braking a manual would give in top gear.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Seb Scorch wrote: »
    I jump red lights. I also drive too fast. In fact I think I'm gonna change my tyre pressure to between 40 and 50 psi
    Surely you mean to between 14 and 15 psi? :p
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »

the reason behind using the brakes to slow and not the gears is to show your brake lights allowing other motorists you are slowing, using gears to slow will not activate the brake lights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If someone cannot see you are slowing and cannot see the reason why you are slowing they shouldn't be on the road but taking the bus to Specsavers.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    If someone cannot see you are slowing and cannot see the reason why you are slowing they shouldn't be on the road but taking the bus to Specsavers.

why do you think not that not using your brakes to slow you down and stop will get you through a driving test? Brake lights do have a purpose especially in the dark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do you think I think that?
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    No, they're just rubbish :D

My experience is that people do full speed up to your back then slam on, leaving a Rizla's width between their car and yours.

My heart is often in my mouth looking in the rear view mirror
    :eek:

I've had a few moments like that recently.

I was taught to drive in the early 2000s and similarly to Andrue's driving method, my instructor favoured lifting off the throttle early, which is something I've continued to do. My instructor used to make jokes about 'premature braking' as I remember. He made a good point though.
  • Options
    TobySTobyS Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in 1999 I was taught to use engine breaking to slow down on the approach to traffic lights, then use the brakes for the final moments (lifting off almost completely at the end so as not to come to too abrupt a halt). This gives a chance for the lights to change before you get there so you're not accelerating from a stand still thus improving fuel economy. It also reduces the possibility of slamming into the back of the car in front if I hit a oily or icy patch on the road.

One of my work colleagues learned to drive about five years after me and was evidently taught the 'new' way - maintain speed, or even accelerate towards a red light or stationary car and slam the brakes on at the last second. Being a passenger when he's driving is a genuinely terrifying experience.