Long Lost Family - New series

Comments

• SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Have to agree. I love their meeting up but the cry factor has gone because we know it will all end up happily ever after ;-)

They need to throw in a few bad reunions to keep us on our toes.
  • Sarah777Sarah777 Posts: 5,060
    Forum Member
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Is anyone finding that despite crying every week at earlier series, it doesn't really have the same effect any more?

I cried today after a very longtime.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ron's story almost got me to be honest, but I think generally I'm tiring of the predictable format.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish they would stop showing the trailers all the time, we know the outcome before the actual show is aired.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Wish they would stop showing the trailers all the time, we know the outcome before the actual show is aired.

I cover my eyes with the remote control so I don't see the spoilers :D
  • ErinnaErinna Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »

Yes, spoils it for me too.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded the programme to watch later but forgot that the previous programme always overruns by several minutes but they do not adjust the commands sent to PVRs so missed the last couple of minutes of the programme.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do enjoy this programme and cry all the way through it but of course we only get to see the happy endings, there must be as many that they just cant find or else don't want to know.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone finding that despite crying every week at earlier series, it doesn't really have the same effect any more?
    Sort-of, I used to cry without fail at both stories, but it seems that I mostly have a tear or two in response to the reaction of the person looking/being looked, i.e. the grandad's delight when told his sister had been located was so lovely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching tonight? Agree with the last few posts about not having the same effect, but tonight's has really recaptured that. It's possibly my favourite episode theyve ever done, such sad yet interesting stories.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night's was really good but I had a lot of puzzles about the South African woman. Lots of secrets - not allowed to speak about it - she was TWENTY SEVEN years old not 15. Why did she kow tow to her parents so much?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Last night's was really good but I had a lot of puzzles about the South African woman. Lots of secrets - not allowed to speak about it - she was TWENTY SEVEN years old not 15. Why did she kow tow to her parents so much?

It was a different era. She as saying how it was a lot more 'Victorian' than the UK, especially 53 years ago. Presumably she hadn't married so was looked down upon for having the baby.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sj8585 wrote: »
    It was a different era. She as saying how it was a lot more 'Victorian' than the UK, especially 53 years ago. Presumably she hadn't married so was looked down upon for having the baby.

Her family were South African so they had the 'Victorian' attitudes - like the old jokes about 'you are now landing in New Zealand, please turn your watches back a hundred years'.

Nicky Campbell deserves a lot of praise for the way he handled her, TV presenters are often criticised but he really took over well as she almost collapsed in the doorway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This woman doesn't seem to realise that if they hadn't given her older brother away, she'd never have been born!
  • marios mummarios mum Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This woman doesn't seem to realise that if they hadn't given her older brother away, she'd never have been born!

Sorry I'm only half watching this but why? Also help/benefits were available in 1974, not like the women trying to cope on their own in the 50s/60s.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 145,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The second family is really moving: the Dad dying and making her swear it was just between them....
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    The second family is really moving: the Dad dying and making her swear it was just between them....

When she said that the tears started :cry:
    I dont know why I watch it every week always end the same way in tears lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marios mum wrote: »
    Sorry I'm only half watching this but why? Also help/benefits were available in 1974, not like the women trying to cope on their own in the 50s/60s.

Because the exact sperm and egg that met to create her wouldn't have done had anything been different! Not to say she's wrong to be upset about what happened obvs, but I thought it was funny that she said her Dad said to her that her life would've been very different had they kept him..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She sees the pic and thinks: get your hair cut lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Tracey's husband, Mick looks like he's been on something else before. Does anyone else recognise him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tracey's husband, Mick looks like he's been on something else before. Does anyone else recognise him.

Is he the one with the bald head? I was thinking I'd seen him before...
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching tonight?. A woman abandoned on a doorstep!.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching!

I wonder why the first woman (Ally?) didn't ask the doorstep woman's family if they knew anything about what she was going to tell her??
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching tonight?. A woman abandoned on a doorstep!.

I've not been watching this series but tuned in tonight as this first story is local to me and I vaguely remember seeing about it in my local paper.

This second story must be where we are going to hear the racist comments.
  • Sandgrounder1Sandgrounder1 Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't help thinking you stand a better chance of having your story feature on the show if your long lost family member happens to be somewhere lovely overseas...Barbados anyone? !