Week 1 - 5 Thoughts

CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
Forum Member
Up to 10 thoughts allowed this week due to the double shows.

1) I like the partnership of Susanna and Kevin but their Jive was far too manic for my liking.
2) Looks like we are back to ridiculous use of 2011 gimmicks, although to be fair all couples got into their routine immediately.
3) Was pleasantly surprised by Sophie who is quite humble and seems grateful to be there - lovely dance and well matched with Brendan.
4) Last year I praised the judges marking from the off as being an improvement - what has happened this year?! :mad:
5) Not sure how I feel about Natalie because seeing Artem looking so smug/satisfied is currently a bigger distraction.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Voting was more suspect than Eurovision

2) Susanna is well fit, and that dance was well bonkers, so I think we're onto something good there

3) Artem looks like the man who's got Kara on the other end of the phone yelling "Don't even THINK about it."

4) Oh, Iveta

5) Oh, Aliona.
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) She's a ringah, but I loved Natalie as a person and a dancer.

2) Think I'm the only person who liked what Artem was wearing. Might have something to do with his chest being on show... :o

3) Really enjoyed the chemistry between Susanna and Kevin, but I felt he over danced a bit.

4) Aliona's face was quite...something. ;)

5) Looks like the dances tomorrow might a bit more comedic. Unintentional or not.
  • Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    erratic marking

shut up with the standing ovations already

music sound was awful

training videos showed very little training, hope this is not a trend:mad:

Bruce has deteriorated badly

I enjoyed it though:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The scoring was horrendous.
    2. My favourite was Mark and Iveta.
    3. Tony and Aliona's dance was sweet.
    4. Janet Ellis crying?! :rolleyes:
    5. Natalie was good in comparison to the others that danced tonight.
  • DingDong08DingDong08 Posts: 8,600
    Forum Member
    1 - Sophie surprised me, in a good way. I never thought she would do a poor Waltz, but I wasn't expecting her level of grace. It was a really nice first dance. :)

2 - Natalie is a-ma-zing and it's only Week 1! If she keeps going like this, she could be better than the likes of Alesha and Kara, I reckon. :eek:

3 - Both Mark and Susanna were shockingly overmarked in my opinion. Susanna's was fun but not worth an 8, and Mark's was just a mess, but still got a 5 from Craig. :confused:

4 - Tony was so sweet, but the poor sod just can't dance! It was a lovely routine, though, and he really did try. :D

5 - Tomorrow's show looks... interesting, to say the least. :p
  • RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Mark ain't a bad mover at all.
    2) Tony reminds me of a favourite uncle. Not a dancer, but strikes me as a sweetheart. I like him.
    3) Kev needs to tone down the dancing.
    4) Sophie looked a little lost.
    5) She may be a ringah, but Nat's 'he's already orange' has sealed her in my top three faves this series.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark was great - but he does dance on stage every night!
    I cannot take to SEB.
    Loved Susanna and Natalie
    And of course Ashley.
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. No Bruce I won't treat Tony like a god just because he plays ******* golf
    2. Wardrobe did Ashley no favours. Plastic belt & sparkly pockets to emphasis the lack of hips.
    3. Can't wait to see Mark do Latin
    4. Susanna you go girl wish I could do that after one baby let alone three!!
    5. I love Deborah already & they didn't dance tonight.

Sneaky 6. Natalie tried hard to be good but not TOO good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) 3) Artem looks like the man who's got Kara on the other end of the phone yelling "Don't even THINK about it."

Is Kara really that jealous ?
  • Dilly 1Dilly 1 Posts: 39,906
    Forum Member
    1. Natalie and Susanna my favourites for tonight.
    2. Kevin over danced a bit and could calm it down a tad.
    3. Love Ola but I really don't rate her choreography. She's too predictable.
    4. Aliona looked bored. :yawn: - Hated those slides across the floor!
    5. Mark was better than I thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dilly 1 wrote: »
    1. Natalie and Susanna my favourites for tonight.
    2. Kevin over danced a bit and could calm it down a tad.
    3. Love Ola but I really don't rate her choreography. She's too predictable.
    4. Aliona looked bored. :yawn: - Hated those slides across the floor!
    5. Mark was better than I thought.

Those slides across the floor could have been a nod to Natalie Lowe :(
  • Dilly 1Dilly 1 Posts: 39,906
    Forum Member
    Those slides across the floor could have been a nod to Natalie Lowe :(

I don't like them when Natalie does them either. My least favourite dance move ever! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    1. Love Natalie dancing and sense of humour. She's my fav already. 2. Sophie dress was gorgeous. 3. Like Yvette choreography but mark's dancing was a bit naff. 4. Cannot stand Suzanne and that jive was awful. 5. Show was ok but it all seemed a bit lack lustre.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    1. Ashley was really nervous during his dance, not looking forward to his AS.

2. Sophie was very elegant and a very good score for a first weekend waltz (will be interesting to see what Abbey does).

3. Mark did relatively well, though this dance offcourse suited him perfect.

4. Susanna and Kevin need to tone down their manic choreography behaviour (doing a Louis Smith, doing a Miley Cyrus; what next dangling a baby out of a window?).

5. Natalie is probably the most obvious ringer ever (she did some moves that DVO would have trouble with), but I think she can win because she has (almost) the same story as Kara (actress + Artem).
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Ashley was appalling. I seriously thought he should have been below Tony.
    2. I think the judges cut Susanna slack for getting the jive week 1.
    3. Still not sure what to make of Mark, but the performance was great.
    4. Sophie was lovely.
    5. Already annoyed at scoring. Len and Bruno both thought Ashley was of the same standard as Sophie, and the latter also thought that about Ashley and Natalie. Bah.

And a cheeky thought 6 because I'm coming back for Saturday anyway: Last year's first show was awkward to watch, but the scoring was infinitely better, the vice-versa of tonight. Not sure which I prefer having.
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Sophie was my favourite. Very elegant and sweet. She wasn't the best but I think she can progress quite a lot.

2. Not too keen on Natalie - I find her a bit full of herself and she's obviously had previous dance training.

3. I love Tony! I know he hasn't a chance of winning (or making it half way) but I really hope he isn't first out.

4. Susanna's dance was energetic and entertaining, but perhaps slightly overmarked and the cartwheel at the end wasn't good.

5. Ashley seems rather dull (not much else to say!) and I like Mark, but wasn't overwhelmed (in a bad or good way).
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Artem's "Where's Wally" socks, wtf? :eek:

2) Natalie needs to calm down those pro dancer faces

3) Kevin just needs to calm down :eek:

4) Love Mark, he's got rhythm and performance

5) typical Brendan 1st week waltz, Sophie forgetting a lot and Brendan dragging her into position. She needs to hide the faces she pulls when she goes wrong, but I'd sell my first born for her legs. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Scoring was over the top, even by normal standards.

2. Having said that, the ranked positions were about right. Susanna could have been dropped a position, but otherwise fine.

3. I hope Sophie finds some core strength and that she won't just be the improved model of Victoria Pendleton.

4. I hope Ashley isn't too busy to do this properly. I hope Ola makes the most of him.

5. Natalie was good, but we all expected that. She seems to be getting a better reaction than Denise, but I don't see her as being the 'obvious winner' Louis Smith and Harry Judd were atm.

An ok first show overall, neither brilliant nor awful.
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Pleasantly surprised by Tony & Aliona - nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, and Aliona's done really well with him.

2. Ola seriously needs to get with the program choreography-wise. That was basically what Sid Owen would have had for his CCC had it not been Halloween week when he did it (IYKWIM). Hope Ashley can do better with a Ballroom routine.

3. I've seen a few people criticising Kevin for putting the cartwheel in at the end? May I refer you to Artem who got Kara to do that move about 3 or 4 times in their series (including in a Quickstep may I add) :p:D. It's possible that it went fine in training but just didn't on the night.

4. Love Mark, not impressed by Iveta, she's trying a bit too hard (think Natalie Lowe in her first series)

5. Both Sophie & Brendan and Natalie & Artem's dances bored me a bit. I want to see an energetic Latin from them both before I make up my mind about them.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Some pleasant surprises Tony's hands & Mark & Iveta's routine.
    2. Bruno's strange nose underlining.
    3. Weird marking with odd logic.
    4. Bruce slurring (or so it seemed to me).
    5. A few worse than expected.
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Thought Mark did really well
    2) Compared to last years week 1 Leaderboard this is great
    3) Craig was sort of nice
    4) I hate Susanna and Ashleys personalities
    5) Love Sophie and Natalie
  • peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Tess Dress Watch - tight yellow dress. No, just... no.
    2. Where's the Man In The Hat (Trevor, the bassist)?
    3. Oi, Aliona - running splits are Natalie Lowe's trademark! Leave well alone!
    4. Artem's socks. Oh my eyes!
    5. Brucie's geriatric rambling. Oh my ears!

Erm, no room for dance talk. :o
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Will Ashley perform early in every show until the baby's born so he can rush off to his wife's side if need be?
    2. I enjoyed Mark's dance but I'm not sure if the Tango is supposed to be comedic.
    3. What did Susanna mean when she said that Kevin picked the jive? Are the professionals choosing the dance style?
    4. Natalie's a great dancer but her and Artem aren't quite gelling with me for whatever reason.
    5. Sophie pleasantly surprised me and Brendan has seriously mellowed in recent series.
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Running splits belong to Kristina and John.
    2. Surprisingly entertaining choreography from Iveta - nice.
    3. If he cant fit the training into his life, Ash won't get as much sympathy as some in the past.
    4. I expect Kevin will quickly learn to get the balance right.
    5. I sense the PTB dealt the music to Artem.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Susanna took me by surprise. I thought she'd do a very polite Jive. But no, she really went for it and lost herself in the dance. Overmarked slightly, but Jive is a tough card to be dealt on week one. It was a cracking effort.

2. Sophie looked like a beautiful porcelain doll. I so want her to be good but fear her body's too soft, too fragile. Brendan can guide her in Ballroom but she won't be able to rely on him as much in the Latin. She'll have to work really hard but she's likeable so the audience might give her a chance.

3. I'm not a fan of Ola's choreography and Ashley's Cha Cha looked mincy.

4. Natalie looked even better than Denise did early on. Think it'll be less of a problem as she's owned up to prior dance training and is paired with Artem who's not as abrasive as James. She'll have to go from being very good to being absolutely spectacular to win though.

5. New boy Kevin is ticking all my boxes ;)