Roy Chubby Brown - love him or hate him?

13»

Comments

• jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    In the same documentary he was exposed as holding some fair questionable views on race:

"All the Pakistanis and Indians when they go home at night, they go home to an Indian family, to a Pakistani family, we go home to our family - if we went home tonight and there was a muslim sat there, we'd say 'what the **** are you doing in our house - out!' We don't mix. We don't get on, it's as simple as that."

You get all these do-gooders saying 'well they have a right to be here'. They haven't got a ****ing right to be here, we're the onese financing, the tax I pay finances half the bastards. Coming here they have a right for this and a right for that. Well if they have a right, dress like us, work like us, think like us, be like us.

I think his comedy persona is that of an odious, boorish, ill-edcuated loudmouth. Only apparently it isn't a persona.

I agree the bit in bold was inappropriate in the scheme of things. However, it is human nature to mix with people of your colour and culture, e.g. often black people mix with other black people, Jews often hang out with other Jews, Pakistanis often hang out with other Pakistanis etc. This explains the various large ethnic communities you find in certain parts of the UK, e.g. Luton, Bradford, Southall etc.

Also, I believe, people coming to live in this country should adopt UK culture (at least in public) and learn our language (namely English) as far as possible, rather than it being the other way around. What they do in the privacy of their own home is up to them. However, if you've been here for some time, I expect to be spoken to by an immigrant in English, and not have a communication problem, as I don't do foreign languages, since there is no need in my case.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I agree the bit in bold was inappropriate in the scheme of things. However, it is human nature to mix with people of your colour and culture, e.g. often black people mix with other black people, Jews often hang out with other Jews, Pakistanis often hang out with other Pakistanis etc. This explains the various large ethnic communities you find in certain parts of the UK, e.g. Luton, Bradford, Southall etc.

Also, I believe, people coming to live in this country should adopt UK culture (at least in public) and learn our language (namely English) as far as possible, rather than it being the other way around. What they do in the privacy of their own home is up to them. However, if you've been here for some time, I expect to be spoken to by an immigrant in English, and not have a communication problem, as I don't do foreign languages, since there is no need in my case.

Yeah, I agree with this. If they're coming to our nation, they should be expected to start learning our language. They need to adapt to the way we do things over here when they're in public. They can carry on doing their own thing when they're at home or when they're somewhere that's for their own culture, like say, a mosque or whatever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think of the League of Gentlemen when I hear his name but that's it really, he is an unfunny fat chav.
    Forum Member
    Nikkiclody wrote: »
    I always think of the League of Gentlemen when I hear his name but that's it really, he is an unfunny fat chav.

You do realise that most of it is self deprecation, and one of the catch phrases, is the audience shouting 'you fat bastard', repeatedly, mostly when he first appears on stage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-deprecation

Like it or not, Chubbs is one the most successful UK comedians and mostly performs at venues which are sold out.

I guess, it all boils down to whether you like strong comedy, such as by Chris Rock, Richard Pryor, Denis Leary, George Carlin, Mike Reid, Jimmy Jones and the like.
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your choice of words and phrases such as "I expect to be spoken to..." and "I don't do foreign languages", to me, show you have a 'holier than thou' attitude when it comes to immigrants, especially ones that don't speak English. Perhaps you feel like you have some sort of authority over them or at least find yourself superior? Well, afterall, you expect them to talk to you in a certain way. I just find that attitude idiotic and incredibly small minded.
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You also said that what was highlighted above in a quote from Chubby Brown was "innappropriate"...

Just...just...words fail me.
    Forum Member
    Your choice of words and phrases such as "I expect to be spoken to..." and "I don't do foreign languages", to me, show you have a 'holier than thou' attitude when it comes to immigrants, especially ones that don't speak English. Perhaps you feel like you have some sort of authority over them or at least find yourself superior? Well, afterall, you expect them to talk to you in a certain way. I just find that attitude idiotic and incredibly small minded.

I live in the UK. We speak English as the primary language, so for any non-English speaking immigrant going to be staying here for some time, it is in their interest to learn it. Simple as. What is the alternative. And why the aggression from you. Sorry, if you don't agree, but why the need to be so abusive about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I expect to be spoken to in English as well. What the hell am I supposed to do if someone that only speaks Polish tries to ask me a question in Polish? It's utterly ridiculous to think that foreigners can get along in this country without learning our language. If I went abroad, I would have to learn said country's language in order to communicate with them. If you go to another country you HAVE to learn its language in order to get on there.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I expect to be spoken to in English as well. What the hell am I supposed to do if someone that only speaks Polish tries to ask me a question in Polish? It's utterly ridiculous to think that foreigners can get along in this country without learning our language. If I went abroad, I would have to learn said country's language in order to communicate with them. If you go to another country you HAVE to learn its language in order to get on there.

Indeed. I thought that was pretty obvious. We are not talking about taking a two week holiday here. You are going to live in a foreign country on a long term basis, so adapt to local customs and culture in public. It's the right thing to do.

I could, for instance, emigrate to Germany, Switzerland or Sweden very easily, especially as I have relatives there, and I would at least make the best attempt to learn the local language.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member

Well I'm an English person too, and I've no intention of emigrating anywhere else in the world so why should I learn a different language, if I did, then I would feel it behoves me to at least learn the language and customs of the country I was emigrating to, just like the people who come to this country should. Why you should find that concept idiotic is beyond me.

And yes, I would expect them to talk to me in a certain way, I'd expect them to talk to me in ENGLISH.

As for Roy chubby Brown, I watched a dvd that my son had got once, let's just say, I'd sooner stick pins in my eyes than watch him again !!:eek::mad:
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. I thought that was pretty obvious. We are not talking about taking a two week holiday here. You are going to live in a foreign country on a long term basis, so adapt to local customs and culture in public. It's the right thing to do.

I could, for instance, emigrate to Germany, Switzerland or Sweden very easily, especially as I have relatives there, and I would at least make the best attempt to learn the local language.

Out of interest, when you go on holiday to a foreign country, do you learn the language beforehand?
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swearing every word does not make someone funny. It doesn't help that his material is catered for pissed-up morons, who will no doubt lap it up, then probably go out and have a fight.

Its my main problem with him. I don't mind a bit of swearing.

I watched a VHS of his life story, done in a spoof documentary style and it was fairly funny. Plus U.F.O. the Movie is an ok trashy comedy.
    Tried to watch 2 of his stand up video's, couldn't bear more than 5 mins.
    Forum Member
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    Out of interest, when you go on holiday to a foreign country, do you learn the language beforehand?

Not necessarily. I'm not going to live there on a long term basis.

Are you suggesting, I should learn German, Dutch, French, Spanish, Flemish, Italian, Swiss-German etc., just so I should be entitled to go there on a two or three week holiday.

Besides, English is spoken at least to a certain degree in all of the above.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess, it all boils down to whether you like strong comedy, such as by Chris Rock, Richard Pryor, Denis Leary, George Carlin, Mike Reid, Jimmy Jones and the like.
    You're throwing Roy Chubby Brown in with the likes of Pryor, Carlin, Rock?

Good lord.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah hes funny but the problem is all of his live shows each year tend to be the same material where as other comics change theirs .

Why would I hate the guy? I dont personally know him and its pretty dumb to hate people you dont know Blondie X.
    Forum Member
    You're throwing Roy Chubby Brown in with the likes of Pryor, Carlin, Rock?

Good lord.

Yes. The liking of any particular comedy is subjective. Some people think that Ricky Gervais is the best thing since sliced bread, but I don't think he is particular funny. The Office was supposed to be very funny, according to some people, but it didn't do anything for me.
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    I had to delete my entire post ....anyway , hes not funny ....at all, and neither is Ricky Gervais while hes getting a mention in despatches.
    Forum Member
    acker wrote: »
    I had to delete my entire post ....anyway , hes not funny ....at all, and neither is Ricky Gervais while hes getting a mention in despatches.

It would have been nice to see what you had posted, as presumably it was just stating an opinion. Could you possibly PM what you wrote or had written?
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. The liking of any particular comedy is subjective. Some people think that Ricky Gervais is the best thing since sliced bread, but I don't think he is particular funny. The Office was supposed to be very funny, according to some people, but it didn't do anything for me.
    All well and good, but you said "it boils down to whether you like strong comedy, such as..." then listed a bunch of people with which he has absolutely no comparison, besides the act itself of standing onstage trying to make people laugh.
    Forum Member
    All well and good, but you said "it boils down to whether you like strong comedy, such as..." then listed a bunch of people with which he has absolutely no comparison, besides the act itself of standing onstage trying to make people laugh.

You apparently missed the word subjective in my post. You don't like him. I get it.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah hes funny but the problem is all of his live shows each year tend to be the same material where as other comics change theirs .

Why would I hate the guy? I dont personally know him and its pretty dumb to hate people you dont know Blondie X.

I think you might find calling another FM *dumb* is against the forum rules.

And i also suggest you take my post in the context of the thread where the OP gives us the choices 'Love' or 'Hate'. Not dislike, like a bit, are neutral about or any other options.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I doubt that very much. What he said about Harvey was pure hatred. Katie Price isn't Harvey and I don't think she's THAT bad.

Well when we went to see him me and my disabled wife and the other disabled people who went were laughing and everyone in the room had a great time.

Disabled folk do laugh and believe it or not some even poke fun at themselves.
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I think you might find calling another FM *dumb* is against the forum rules.

I'd agree. And so is being called a moron. Something in common there with both of us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Well when we went to see him me and my disabled wife and the other disabled people who went were laughing and everyone in the room had a great time.

Disabled folk do laugh and believe it or not some even poke fun at themselves.

I was actually talking about the hatred Chubby Brown showed to Katie Price in one of his shows. You might want to have a look at the link I put up in one of my early posts in this thread. Move the counter to the time shown and then tell me that what he said wasn't so bad.