Options

New job - leaving date?

DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I accepted a new job on friday and have to give a months notice.

I told my boss yesterday and my bosses boss called me today for a chat, think about it etc, but if I still say no im leaving when i speak to him tomorrow, does my one month start from yesterday when I told my boss, tomorrow when I confirm Im leaving or when I actually type out a letter. And does it have to be a letter or will an email work, or is verbal ok?

I know every company is different, just want general opinions here.

Comments

• Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It probably stipulates 'in writing' in your contract, so it would be from tomorrow, although if there's no bad feelings, they will probably be flexible

and don't forget to factor in any holiday days you are owed, they need to pay you for them, or to let you 'leave' that number of days earlier.

Edit - just seen the email thing, I'd check, but an email with the appropriate people copied in should be fine
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accepted a new job on friday and have to give a months notice.

I told my boss yesterday and my bosses boss called me today for a chat, think about it etc, but if I still say no im leaving when i speak to him tomorrow, does my one month start from yesterday when I told my boss, tomorrow when I confirm Im leaving or when I actually type out a letter. And does it have to be a letter or will an email work, or is verbal ok?

I know every company is different, just want general opinions here.

Check your employment contract, but in any case when you email or write, simply put at the top 'with effect from 20/05/2014' and state your leaving date - make sure you work it out correctly!
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    It probably stipulates 'in writing' in your contract, so it would be from tomorrow, although if there's no bad feelings, they will probably be flexible

and don't forget to factor in any holiday days you are owed, they need to pay you for them, or to let you 'leave' that number of days earlier.

Edit - just seen the email thing, I'd check, but an email with the appropriate people copied in should be fine

Or if you have used more than you should you may need to accept less pay than you expected in your last wage
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from consulting your contract and discussing the precise arrangements and leaving date with your boss or HR department, if there is one, you really need to have a record in writing of your formal notice and leaving date.

If you do it by e-mail, you should as a precaution print the e-mail and keep the paper copy. You never know when a misunderstanding may arise between employer and employee, even when it is believed by either party that everything has been clear and agreed.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry I forgot I even made this thread til just now!

My bosses boss is happy with a letter signed by me, scanned and emailed to him, backdated to monday!