Options

Lottery Changes

aspijackaspijack Posts: 1,202
Forum Member
✭✭✭
From October the National Lottery is creating a new millionaire raffle you win a free ticket for matching two numbers and there are bigger rolling jackpots.
And you choose numbers from 1-59

https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/lotto-changes?icid=sgp:lo:co

Comments

• Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disgusting! 6 from 59, creating more rollovers as hardly anyone plays it now. Getting rid of the crap raffle is a good thing. The new match 2 and get a free go means if you do win the money goes straight back to them as your unlikely to win again. Even less likely to match 3 numbers to win the same £25.00. Yet they keep saying your odds are better for a win, yes the match 2 numbers win which they get back!!!
    Sooner everyone stops putting money on this the better, they have ruined the game and a protest should start of non players then lets see what changes they bring about.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are already on a quadruple rollover (I think) for Wednesday's draw. This will make it even harder to win. Most people who play regular numbers will keep them anyway. Think I might take this opportunity to opt out.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did some rough maths and yeouch at the odds, my calculator couldn't convert it into a fraction (well it was a 6 quid jobby) and i'm not in the mood for a major probability session so while the prizes seem more generous the actual odds of getting them has dropped majorly
  • Options
    charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get the feeling theyre trying to finish it off
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 in 14 to 1 in 45 million.
    But they keep saying on twitter to everyone but you get a lotto lucky dip if you match 2!! wow, money YOU get back! And its still £25 to match 3, but adding another 10 balls into the mix your not very likely. Load of crap
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The National Lottery just continues to get worse. I love how they try to spin it: "Even more numbers to choose from!" Haha :D The odds for winning any money at all just got significantly worse all round. Still nowhere near as bad as the Euromillions odds though.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are already on a quadruple rollover (I think) for Wednesday's draw. This will make it even harder to win. Most people who play regular numbers will keep them anyway. Think I might take this opportunity to opt out.

Bloody hell, quadruple rollover! So people enter a competition that nobody wins week after week, seems crazy to me. I don't think there should be rollovers, there should be a winner every week. They can check pretty quickly, in this digital age, whether there's a winner, and could re-draw (for the top prize).
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be a lottery retailer and lets say when it first started rollovers were very good for business but you were talking about pots of 20+ million easy so even the most hardened person would turn up for a £1 lucky dip but now a roll over barely adds anything so its not really worth it to a lot of people as when the lottery started there was a 10+ million a week prize and now it takes about 6 weeks to reach that last time i checked
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Bloody hell, quadruple rollover! So people enter a competition that nobody wins week after week, seems crazy to me. I don't think there should be rollovers, there should be a winner every week. They can check pretty quickly, in this digital age, whether there's a winner, and could re-draw (for the top prize).

Imagine a bookie or prize draw not paying out. The nearest example is the roulette wheel with the house take on 0. That's fundamental to how it works though and isn't used to boost sales on the next spin.
    No reason not to pay out each draw the way the pools or the Tote does.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    charger21 wrote: »
    Get the feeling theyre trying to finish it off

...or possibly it’s another way that the “Ontario, Canada Teachers' Pension Plan” (the owners of Camelot) can increase their percentage take from what appears to be an ever dwindling pot. :o:D
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only one they want to do is Euromillions and the cards.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Think I'll stick to the Thunderball and the Hot Picks. A quid a go and the top prizes are still worth having. Haven't won a penny on the lotto since it went to £2 so another 10 numbers to pick doesn't fill me with hope. And as for the raffle draws, that's pie in the sky.

Plus there's the Health Lottery. 50p lucky dip tkts (5 from 50 numbers for a 25K jackpot).
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have lost faith in the National Lottery before and used the Health Lottery instead.

I am fully aware of the issues in any gambling and how overall it is a mug's game.

I thought I would have a Google anyway and there is some interesting reading
    (some pages out of date but you can get a rough idea, including other schemes)

I never do Scratchcards but I think I am also going to have to seriously consider my minor addiction of 2 Lottery lines per week.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=health+lottery+vs+national+lottery&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=zgCAVZHKM8vH8geXsYGQDg
  • Options
    openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This change actually suits me. It's true the jackpot odds have lengthened but you now have a much better chance of getting a £1m assuming less than 14m people buy a ticket for the draw.

Not particularly interested in winning 25 or 85 quid. They need bigger prizes to keep interest going.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »

They couuuuld do, but why would they want to?
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    The only one they want to do is Euromillions and the cards.

Yes but the Euromillions isn't the same since it went twice a week. People only have so much to spend on it and so it only goes up a smaller amount each time.

Plus the current exchange rate of Euros to Pounds mean that the 11 million start rate is now only an estimated 10 million.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope Camelot loses the franchise in 2019. They've had it for over 20 years and its time for a change and award it to someone less greedy.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    did some rough maths and yeouch at the odds, my calculator couldn't convert it into a fraction (well it was a 6 quid jobby) and i'm not in the mood for a major probability session so while the prizes seem more generous the actual odds of getting them has dropped majorly

I really wish I'd followed the link before working out the old and new probabilities.

That's five minutes of my life I'll never get back.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    I have lost faith in the National Lottery before and used the Health Lottery instead.

I am fully aware of the issues in any gambling and how overall it is a mug's game.

I thought I would have a Google anyway and there is some interesting reading
    (some pages out of date but you can get a rough idea, including other schemes)

I never do Scratchcards but I think I am also going to have to seriously consider my minor addiction of 2 Lottery lines per week.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=health+lottery+vs+national+lottery&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=zgCAVZHKM8vH8geXsYGQDg

Interesting the odds of winning £10 is 56 - 1

There are 52 cards in a standard playing card deck and asking you to think of a card and me guessing it correctly without any trickery, I stand a better chance of doing that than winning £10. :D

Still the other way of looking at it: The person who just won the 95 million on the Euromillions probably thought "Yeah right! As if it will ever be me." and everyone who went in for it stood exactly the same chance.

So if someone is using it as an investment opportunity then they are very wrong, but if used for just a piece of entertainment in a grey world and can afford what they spend, then they might as well have a bit of fun.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if someone is using it as an investment opportunity then they are very wrong, but if used for just a piece of entertainment in a grey world and can afford what they spend, then they might as well have a bit of fun.

Oh yes I fully do agree with that. But I wonder if reducing chances of small wins and making jackpots very large, thereby most people rarely getting a tenner (now £25) suits most people.

I have had another look around and will try another scheme. Possibly Thunderball, although I really have no love for Camelot.

They will only now get £1/line instead of £2 and I will still have my dreams of a substantial win

If they mess with rules further, I will look for better deals elsewhere.

Thanks for the wake-up call Camelot!
  • Options
    openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    I really wish I'd followed the link before working out the old and new probabilities.

That's five minutes of my life I'll never get back.

If the old (6 balls/49 numbers) gave an approximate probability of 1 in 14 million of winning a million or more and the new (6 balls/59 numbers) will give a better combined probability of 1 in 10 million what is the number of tickets they invisage being bought for a draw?

Probability can make me a little cray cray.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Interesting the odds of winning £10 is 56 - 1

There are 52 cards in a standard playing card deck and asking you to think of a card and me guessing it correctly without any trickery, I stand a better chance of doing that than winning £10. :D

Still the other way of looking at it: The person who just won the 95 million on the Euromillions probably thought "Yeah right! As if it will ever be me." and everyone who went in for it stood exactly the same chance.

I consider my Lotto direct-debit to be a rock-solid investment opportunity.

The law of averages says it’s bound to pay-out the Jackpot one day..................within the next 135,000 years or so;...............the future’s bright! :)
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would prefer them to split the jackpot and pay half to 5 plus the bonus and the rest to 5.
    That would give us the lots more smaller prizes people seem to like as well as the chance of a big jackpot.
    Instead they prefer to use our money to build a bigger jackpot and make us stake more than once for a chance to win.
    People complain rightly about £2 a ticket but happily pay out £8 in total for a triple rollover chance assuming they've played every week and got diddled three times.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus the current exchange rate of Euros to Pounds mean that the 11 million start rate is now only an estimated 10 million.
    Yeah, 10 million isn't worth getting out of bed for.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    openarms wrote: »
    If the old (6 balls/49 numbers) gave an approximate probability of 1 in 14 million of winning a million or more and the new (6 balls/59 numbers) will give a better combined probability of 1 in 10 million what is the number of tickets they invisage being bought for a draw?

Probability of getting 6 balls ~ 2.22E-08
    Claimed overall probability of winning £1m+ is 1.00E-07

Assuming that getting 6 balls necessarily means winning £1m+ (which it won't if the jackpot is split between too many tickets) then they're assuming that the probability of winning the raffle is 7.78E-08, or 1 in approximately 12,850,000.

So they're assuming average ticket sales of a little under 13,000,000 per draw.

Incidentally, it now looks as though the balance will shift so that raffle winners outnumber lottery winners by about 4 to 1, which surely means that the National Lottery should be renamed the National Raffle?