Brit girls- your opinions (plus a selection of mine)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
Forum Member
La Roux- best thing Ive heard in a long time- powerful synths, catchy lyrics and a cool, shrill voice, sounds a bit iffy live, so probably wouldn't see her on tour 10/10 (However, while I think she's great I do understand a lot why people might find her irritating)

Lily Allen- Opinionated feisty pop (with lyrics like her's. no wonder she is so opinionated in public) with quirky beats and fun lyrics. Her first album is better than the second overall (however when the second is good- its VERY good) shes got a good voice- not very powerful though 9/10

Florence and the Machine- I LOVE Kiss with a fist, but her album Lungs is overrated, its good in parts, I also love hurricane drunk, but most of the album seems a bit mundane with no spark. 6/10

Amy W- Legendary talent, probably under utilised a little, but Back to Black and Frank are brilliant albums and her voice is the best on this list (IMO) 9/10

Leona L- Great voice- average execution on about half of her album- I like Better In time, Run, Footprints in the sand and Angel- but the rest is uninspired and beige. 5/10

Bat for Lashes- Great sound from her, unique and mystical. Prescilla, Daniel and Pearls dream are great. However, her melodies are more ambitious than the lyrical content. 8/10

Pixie Lott- Only heard two tracks- both poor in my opinion, the second worst than the first (Mama do, forgot the second) seems like a watered down Natasha B and Duffy. However, she seems ambitious and hard working and the rest of the album could be great so i reserve complete judgment 4+/10

Little Boots- Voted Sound of 2009 by the BBC, but I do feel things might have stalled a bit for her- the La roux duo seem to have zipped by and stolen her crown for best new electropop of 2009. However Hands has got some great songs Meddle, Mathematics and Symmetry, but releasing New In town as the first single was a bad mistake by the record company 7/10

Five best brit girl songs this year

1. La Roux- quicksand
2.Lily Allen- the fear
3.Bat for lashes- Daniel
4 La Roux- bulletproof
5.La Roux. In for the kill

But thats my opinion What do you think? ( I expect a backlash on my La Roux praise):D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like La Roux but Quicksand!?!? Don't like that one, it's very out of tune in places, I prefer I'm Not Your Toy :D

I like La Roux, Little Boots, Leona, Florence and Amy Winehouse. Not fussed about the others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Allen is a genius in my book
    I quite like Pixie Lott and Little Boots has really grown on me now
    La Roux is amazing and is pretty good live too
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    La Roux is a duo, not a solo artist like the rest of your list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Little Boots has quite a poor voice but the songs sound nice enough, not something I'd pay for though, laRoux on the other hand's lead singer is painful to listen to.
    Amy Winehouse is probably the best from the list, lyrically she's amazing and when she's at her best she's a really good singer. She doesn't overdo it like Duffy who has gone downhill as she's become an exagerated self-stereotype. Paloma Faith is really good but I doubt she'll get a look in with Amy W., Duffy, Gabriela Cilmi et al already out there.
    Lily Allen's voice isn't all that great but she makes good music.
    Bat for Lashes= amazing.
    Leona Lewis has a pretty voice but no depth or artistry to her music at all, still nice to listen to!
    And as far as Pixie Lott is concerned, she has a pretty voice and a pretty face and Mama Do is a good song. Boys and Girls not so much.
  • Jake2008Jake2008 Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE Lily allen, I liked her older stuff but all her latest stuff is just brilliant, and she has released my favourite tracks from her album, also like Leona and looking forward for her new stuff coming out
  • RecurringRecurring Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I think my favourite four are Adele, Bat for Lashes, Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse. Not keen on La Roux, Little Boots or Leona.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love La Roux, her album is great. I'm liking Lily Allen's album too - her song 'F*ck You' is genius :D

I like Pixie Lott a lot too. Saw her live on The Saturdays tour and she was amazing. Her singles don't do her powerful voice justice.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of your list, I only like Amy Winehouse and Leona Lewis.

Amy is awsome, musically, lyrically and vocally.

Leona has a nice voice and had some nice songs on her debut, but im looking for her to show more identity on her second album.

I'd also add Corinne Bailey Rae and Laura Izibor to that list, both have unique sounds and good debut albums. Corinne Bailey Rae is a particular favourite of mine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Little Boots has no neck.Im not really a fan of that not really singing talking thing that she and Lily Allen do.

Love Amy Winehouse and Bat for Lashes

Leona and Pixie have great voices but are personality free.

I think the singer from La Roux is taking the piss by going anywhere near a microphone her voice is awful though Bulletproof is a good song.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PJ Harvey and Amy Winehouse are awesome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natasha Khan of Bat For Lashes is simply outstanding! I go into another world everytime I listen to her music. She has the most stunning, magical voice and creates some of the most beautiful, haunting, magnificent songs ive ever heard I think shes the best thing to come out of the UK in years! I soo hope she wins the Mercury award for Two Suns. It would be incredibly well deserved. My favourite artist ever!!!:D

La Roux I really love to. Took a while but my ears finally excepted her shrill voice. 'Quicksand' was the song that made me fall in love with their music. The first song I heard was 'In For The Kill' which I wasnt sure about to begin with. Of course I love all their stuff now though.

Love love love Little Boots. I think she is very creative. Her voice is nothing amazing but it's perfectly acceptable for the type of songs she sings. One of my favourite albums of the year is Hands. I enjoy every single track.

Florence and the Machine is amazing to. Love her album!! Very good songs.

Amy Winehouse is indeed a legend and one of the greatest soul singer ever. LOVE her!

Lily Allen's earlier stuff I liked (adore Littlest Things) but im really not keen of her new songs.

Leona Lewis has an amazing voice but theres nothing special about the songs.

Pixie Lott I fail to see what the fuss is about at the moment. That Mama Do song was (I thought) quite bad. Nice voice though I suppose.

Some other amazing current british chicks I really like..
    Beverly Knight
    Corinne Bailey Rae
    V V Brown
    Jem
    Dido

and...

PALOMA FAITH!!!!! who I think is flipping marverlous. Cannot wait for her album. 'Stone Cold Sober' was wild and fun but oh my god 'New York' is just such a stunning, emotional, powerful song! Her voice gives me shivers.

So ya I think it's a good time for Brit chicks!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    I like Lily Allen, I think her lyrics are witty and fun. :)
    Amy Winehouse is talented but she would be far better if she got help for her drug/alcohol addiction
    Leona Lewis has a good voice but sometimes I feel she "overdoes" it :(
    I like Pixie Lott too, I hope she does well. :) Boys and Girls & Mama Do are wicked tracks. :D
  • smartie3smartie3 Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Having lived under a rock for a while in regards to music, I have been You tubing some of these artists.

My favourite is La Roux, think both Bulletproof and In the Kill are fab. Love that her voice is well high.

Also quite like Little Boots but that's more for her new one, Remedy. Watched her video for New in Town but am not that keen on it.

Boys and Girls by Pixie Lott is quite good, but the video for it reminds me a lot of Lady Gaga's for Just Dance. I don't really like Mama Do that much. I suppose others did as it got to number 1!

Florence and the Machine and Bat for Lashes are really different and I'm not really sure what I think of them yet.

I haven't heard many Amy Winehouse songs but I like the cover of Valerie she did with Mark Ronson and Back to Black *goes off to find more*

I like Leona's voice and her song Better in Time, and I think that her cover of Run was good too.

Not that bothered about Lily Allen tbh, The Fear was ok.

I quite like Beverly Knight too, and Corinne Bailey Rae, well i did like her but she hasnt released anything recently or has she? and this is just me living under my rock again?
  • smartie3smartie3 Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    oops didnt think it had posted the first time as i had to log in :o sorry
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a singer , Leona's my favourite from the list , I feel she's yet to establish an overall identity as a musician though , but from what is anticipated for her next album I think she will this time round.

As an artist though Bat for Lashes is my favourite. I feel like I'm in a bizarre dream when listening to any one of her songs, so mystical and odd, and Daniel is a bloody brilliant song, I can't stop listening to it. Plus her voice is just..agh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    Forgot to add Adele. Truely talented girl :)
  • BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bat For Lashes 9/10
    One of the few females that's doing something interesting. Utilizing her influences to turn herself into the best British Female artist around

La Roux 6/10
    Overrated is an understatement, just rehashed versions of 80's electro pop songs. There's far better and more original female/male electro duo's groups etc, CRYSTAL CASTLES spring to mind

PJ Harvey 8/10
    Always been a fan, great songwriter/musician, the very definition of talent

Adele 6/10
    Loved "Hometown Glory" other than that just average songs

Little Boots 5/10
    Never understood the hype and still don't. Just boring pop music

Amy Winehouse 7/10
    Talented but actually preferred her first album

Duffy 7/10
    Like her songs. Will be interesting to see how she can reinvent herself if she wants to survive

VV Brown 2/10
    One of her songs is basically a cover of "Monster Mash" trying to disguise itself as a cool creative soul record. No thanks

Florence And The Machine 6/10
    She's alright but let's be honest, its just forgettable second rate indie

Pixie Lott 3/10
    Seen it all before, boring songs, boring lyrics

Leona Lewis 2/10
    Boring, unoriginal, uncreative, no personal identity.. just a pop puppet really

Lily Allen 5/10
    Her personality far outweighs her musical ability. And people are falling for it
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Allen, Amy Wino and Leona Lewis are the only good ones on that list imo (and kind of Pixie Lott).
    Lily Allen's F**k You is a song where i totally agree with it's meaning. 7.5/10
    Amy's You Know I'm No Good/BTB are great. 7/10
    Leona's voice is phenomenal 10/10
    Pixie is a credible artist too. 6/10