Options

"Alan Wake: Night Springs is effectively Alan Wake 2"

2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
Forum Member
XBLAFans wrote:
When we brought you news of a new Alan Wake game tentatively titled Alan Wake: Night Springs was making its way onto Xbox Live Arcade, fans of the series had mixed reactions. While news of more Alan Wake was certainly welcomed, some wondered why Remedy was taking the route of digital distribution and wondered if a “smaller” game could do the universe justice. Geoff Keighley, organizer of the Spike VGA’s recently spoke out about the game on Major Nelson’s podcast to quell fears. Stating that he’d seen the reveal trailer to be shown at the Spike VGA’s this Saturday, Keighley states;

“I mean, it effectively is, I think, Alan Wake 2 when you really look at it and look what they’re doing with that game. It’s really ambitious, beautiful technology and I think people are going to be really excited about it.” Elaborating, Keighley states that he believes that the new Alan Wake for XBLA will not be a “small” experience, and that downloadable games in general will rapidly be increasing in size in the future. If there’s one thing you can count on, it’s this; XBLAFans will bring you more news on Alan Wake: Night Springs (or whatever the final title may be) as soon as it breaks. Stay tuned. <source>

This is great to hear, not only is one of my favourite games of this generation getting a spin off on XBLA but it's also hinted as effectively being the sequel? From what little we have seen it certainly is looking great, I expect Remedy to push the 360 as far as it can go with this game. Anyone else looking forward to this?

Comments

• Options
    HypnosHypnos Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is great to hear, not only is one of my favourite games of this generation getting a spin off on XBLA but it's also hinted as effectively being the sequel? From what little we have seen it certainly is looking great, I expect Remedy to push the 360 as far as it can go with this game. Anyone else looking forward to this?

Im still torn, Not on the game of course im sure it will be great. The original is probably my favorite of all the games I have played in the last 12 months, Just not sure im quite ready for the (inevitable) digital age.

I've purchased plenty of XBLA titles and DLC but I do prefer an actual disc & box for bigger releases. Being someone who would rather buy an album on a CD, spending my teens in record shops searching for vinyl and having a collection of 3 generations of games on my shelves its difficult for me to accept digital only games.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Hypnos wrote: »
    Im still torn, Not on the game of course im sure it will be great. The original is probably my favorite of all the games I have played in the last 12 months, Just not sure im quite ready for the (inevitable) digital age.

I've purchased plenty of XBLA titles and DLC but I do prefer an actual disc & box for bigger releases. Being someone who would rather buy an album on a CD, spending my teens in record shops searching for vinyl and having a collection of 3 generations of games on my shelves its difficult for me to accept digital only games.

I'm in the same boat as you with regards to this, I am a lover of the physical copy, weather it be CD,Vinyl or a videogame. One plus side to owning the physical copy is that if it turns out to be a big hunk of s### then you can sell it on. Also not happy with the lack of manual in some newer titles these days as well, just seems lazy.

I downloaded Bully on the 360 the other night after a fair few beers and im just glad it was as good as I remember it otherwise it would have been 15 sheets down the drain. Then again I should count myself lucky that in my old age a drunken blunder means downloading a videogame and not getting arrested on a Friday night like it did when I was younger.

Might pass on this Alan Wake title unless it gets a physical release in the end, shame really as I loved the first one.
  • Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    Wonder how much it will be? Surely, if it's Alan Wake 2, Remedy won't release it for 1200msps.

Still need to finish the first game:o
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this, hope it will be better than the DLC for the first game, the atmosphere and feeling created on the first game was brilliant.
  • Options
    SmiirkySmiirky Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely loved Alan Wake but would have preferred a proper release sequel!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    SmiirkySmiirky Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »

Yay, there's hope yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think some people were maybe taking the original quote a little too literal, including some of the online publications, which qualifies it for a *facepalm*. I'm quite sure what was said was meant in the way that he didn't feel it was Alan Wake 2 but that it might as well be given the scope and technology powering the game. I think it was said to try and help give the game some much needed publicity as there is still a lot of ignorance surrounding XBLA games and their quality. Some people (a surprisingly large amount) think all XBLA entails is Castle Crashers, when that couldn't be further from the truth.

Obviously a full sequel to Alan Wake will be coming in time, Remedy have always stated that.

One thing that does puzzle me is this attitude that if a game doesn't get a physical release you will boycott it? Even if you are a fan of the franchise? I hear this quite often within the retro gamer community as there are many collector-types there who appear to put more value in pieces of plastic and pretty paper than the actual game itself! I'd probably rather a physical release given the choice but if a game was downloadable only then I'd still buy it. It's the game that maters surely??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Wonder how much it will be? Surely, if it's Alan Wake 2, Remedy won't release it for 1200msps.

Still need to finish the first game:o

Its not even close to being alan wake 2 , the xbla release is just one stand alone mission. The actual alan wake 2 is being pencilled in for the next xbox in two years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The game is now called Alan Wake: American Nightmare

The Trailer is <here>

It looks great! :) The best lighting engine in the business.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Alan wake was disappointing for me because of direction change. I mean back 2005 we where promised this amazingly beautiful open world horror game that would revolutionize the genre. Its not terrible game but in comparison what was shown promised it did not live up to that. I still enjoyed it I just wished they had stuck to the same direction they had promised for 4 years.

The other thing that let me down was them hyping for amazing visuals best visuals consoles blah blah, and that can add a lot to game like Alan wake, but really thing they kept to was the amazing lighting everything else was really poor. Obviously could not live up that PC tech demo they showed back 2005 but was massive step down to what was promised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I disagree, there was lot more to Alan Wakes visuals than the lighting. Perhaps you should go back and remind yourself..

There was dense forests with rich foliage, even though the game wasn't open world there was a lot of open areas, it wasn't linear in the same way Uncharted is for instance. The resolution was brought down under 720p but the 4x MSAA mean't that it wasn't a problem, not even in high contrast areas like the daytime, in fact in some ways it lent slightly to the gritty feel. It was a design choice to allow room for the lighting engine and other effects such as the shadows. Just the general visual make up of the game is unlike any other I've personally seen, so I fail to see how you can criticise it's visuals on a technical level, but if they are not to your style and you prefer say, the more cartoon-like look of Uncharted or something then fair enough.

I think the move from open world to a more linear plot driven game was the right move, after all what made Max Payne so good was the gameplay, and Alan Wake is the same, the combat is fantastic and never seems to get old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I disagree, there was lot more to Alan Wakes visuals than the lighting. Perhaps you should go back and remind yourself..

There was dense forests with rich foliage, even though the game wasn't open world there was a lot of open areas, it wasn't linear in the same way Uncharted is for instance. The resolution was brought down under 720p but the 4x MSAA mean't that it wasn't a problem, not even in high contrast areas like the daytime, in fact in some ways it lent slightly to the gritty feel. It was a design choice to allow room for the lighting engine and other effects such as the shadows. Just the general visual make up of the game is unlike any other I've personally seen, so I fail to see how you can criticise it's visuals on a technical level, but if they are not to your style and you prefer say, the more cartoon-like look of Uncharted or something then fair enough.

I think the move from open world to a more linear plot driven game was the right move, after all what made Max Payne so good was the gameplay, and Alan Wake is the same, the combat is fantastic and never seems to get old.

I played Alan wake many times. If this was game we promised 5 years ago I might bit more impressed but we promised a ground breaking game that would be king graphics on consoles, the best horror game night and day. When Its bright game was very average looking and no where anything that was promised.

Changing directions was not a good decision at all. Open world game could of given the genre something needed for a long time, could stood out and would of sold a lot more.

Alan wake was impressive game, It failed in many horror fans eyes and sold terrible because it did not add anything to horror franchise. There has been very little in that department simply because its all be done before and badly needs something new.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong, I understand if you were disappointed at the design change as it did certainly change. If you wanted an open world game then I understand that.

To be king of console graphics is impossible as it's completely subjective, for the record Alan Wakes visuals impresed me in ways Uncharted 2&3 never did. How can anyone be disappointed with graphics like <here>. On a technical level they certainly are among the best graphics seen on a console this generation, but it could never be the undisputed king.

When it's daytime the game looks average? Seriously does <this> look average to you?

The game is like 95% set at night as that is when Alan Wake is at it's best, like a lot of similar thriller/horror games. I don't see how any of that should effect your overall opinion on the game, unless you're just trying to derail a thread on purpose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong, I understand if you were disappointed at the design change as it did certainly change. If you wanted an open world game then I understand that.

To be king of console graphics is impossible as it's completely subjective, for the record Alan Wakes visuals impresed me in ways Uncharted 2&3 never did. How can anyone be disappointed with graphics like <here>. On a technical level they certainly are among the best graphics seen on a console this generation, but it could never be the undisputed king.

When it's daytime the game looks average? Seriously does <this> look average to you?

The game is like 95% set at night as that is when Alan Wake is at it's best, like a lot of similar thriller/horror games. I don't see how any of that should effect your overall opinion on the game, unless you're just trying to derail a thread on purpose.

Its not unimpressive no where near. But i would not say its any comparison to uncharted 2 and no way near a comparison to uncharted 3. It felt unimpressive in the way it was not what was promised. If what we had was promised I would not of felt disappointing.

I remember It was literally only a few months and they throw all this information out and it was like reading about different game, the PC version was canceled and then the game came out and I was really hyped up for different game. So I think that is why ultimately I felt let down when I got the game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But on a technical level is is more impressive than Uncharted 2&3. They do not carry the same amount of volumetric fog, smoke, particle effects or lighting and shadow effects, nor the rich and high level of foliage and open areas. There' somethings technically that Uncharted does better too, this is why they cannot be compared as their graphic styles are so different, Uncharted is more colourful and cartoony, Wake is more gritty and realistic. However technically the Alan Wake engine is one of the best around, it comes from one of the most technically advanced countries in the world and I think it reflects that.

Alan Wake may of disappointed Horror fans, primarily because Alan Wake is a self-appointed action thriller. But I personally found the game pretty haunting in it's atmosphere, if Resi Evil 4 is classed as a horror game then Alan Wake most certainly is but as I'm not that experienced in the genre I can't say for sure. People tend to make their own rules up to suit them I think.

No matter, I loved Alan Wake, it's one of my most replayed games on 360. This new game looks even more impressive, I can;t wait to see what remedy have done to the tech and what tweaks there will be to the gameplay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But on a technical level is is more impressive than Uncharted 2&3. They do not carry the same amount of volumetric fog, smoke, particle effects or lighting and shadow effects, nor the rich and high level of foliage and open areas. There' somethings technically that Uncharted does better too, this is why they cannot be compared as their graphic styles are so different, Uncharted is more colourful and cartoony, Wake is more gritty and realistic. However technically the Alan Wake engine is one of the best around, it comes from one of the most technically advanced countries in the world and I think it reflects that.

Alan Wake may of disappointed Horror fans, primarily because Alan Wake is a self-appointed action thriller. But I personally found the game pretty haunting in it's atmosphere, if Resi Evil 4 is classed as a horror game then Alan Wake most certainly is but as I'm not that experienced in the genre I can't say for sure. People tend to make their own rules up to suit them I think.

No matter, I loved Alan Wake, it's one of my most replayed games on 360. This new game looks even more impressive, I can;t wait to see what remedy have done to the tech and what tweaks there will be to the gameplay.

I agree with a lot of your points accept from UC not being realistic and suggesting its cartoony.

Now yeah I can't wait to see what they've done with the new one. I really wish they would do disc copy though, I always feel more value in disc copies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK fair enough, I mean it looks cartoony compared to Alan Wake, not that it looks like a cartoon as such, Uncharted just doesn't strike me as realistic looking, in the same way Gears of War doesn't either.

I don't think American Nightmare will offer enough content to justify a disk based release, but certainly more than what DLC could offer. Pretty sure Alan Wake 2 will be a Nextbox game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope they invest time into the graphics engine this time before going all out on a proper Alan Wake 2. I get where 2D is coming from, the way Alan Wake renders IS impressive, but it's let down by the sub HD resolution, barely being 640p, when the fog gets heavy and dark clouds start surrounding, it blurs up and just looks a right mess and not being able to see a damn thing, if the engine was able to handle a full 720p frame, it would have sorted out a lot of those graphical drop points and make the day time stuff look even better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    I hope they invest time into the graphics engine this time before going all out on a proper Alan Wake 2. I get where 2D is coming from, the way Alan Wake renders IS impressive, but it's let down by the sub HD resolution, barely being 640p, when the fog gets heavy and dark clouds start surrounding, it blurs up and just looks a right mess and not being able to see a damn thing, if the engine was able to handle a full 720p frame, it would have sorted out a lot of those graphical drop points and make the day time stuff look even better.

I also notice very small FPS drops in action scenes. I just booted up for first time on my optoma 3d 1080p projector and it looks OK. But I've had to to fiddle around with my settings as I finding it hard to see certain things.

I think they have done impressive job. It will very nice to see if they can make 1080p 60fps open world game with this engine though next gen maybe even with Dx11 now would be sweet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    It will very nice to see if they can make 1080p 60fps open world game with this engine though next gen maybe even with Dx11 now would be sweet.

You mean like they did in 2005 before selling out to Microsoft? :p:D

Seriously, I STILL want to see that original PC build of Alan Wake, what an utter pathetic excuse given "We just don't have enough time to work on the PC now!".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You mean like they did in 2005 before selling out to Microsoft? :p:D

Seriously, I STILL want to see that original PC build of Alan Wake, what an utter pathetic excuse given "We just don't have enough time to work on the PC now!".

Well that was back when MS where throwing pissy fit about steam taking over market was it not ? So they stopped publishing PC games.

It would very nice if they got someone else to publish the PC version. Now MS back with PC market its possible they might publish it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well after writing that I find this. It seems like we might get a PC copy soon !

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/alan-wake-for-pc-incoming/
  • Options
    Forum Member

Given Alan Wakes art direction 720p would barely make any difference to the overall look of the game. in fact I've seen many native 720p games that do not offer clarity any better than Wake does now. Take Skyrim on Xbox 360 for example, that game is so crisp looking as it's obviously native 720p but that style of graphics would not suit Alan Wake imo. It looks fine as it is and never looks a "mess" nor "blurry" so at least try to be honest.

This is the game that actually confirmed to me that resolution doesn't matter as much as the art direction (and I'm a complete pixel counter). Like I say 4xMSAA takes care of any deficiencies like jaggies and the other visual effects employed more than make up for it. If it were in 720p then it wouldn't look worse sure, but the very small improvement to clarity would put more load the GPU which could be better spent on the effects.

That's graphics though, gameplay is more important and thankfully Wake has that too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BTW I like how that above article is slamming MS (sorry M$) for gaining rights to Alan Wake exclusivity. What is wrong with that? It's what companies do, seriously the hate leveled at MS for doing what other console manufactures have been doing for years is astounding.

I agree anyway, Alan Wake is a highly atmospheric game, way more so than the vast majority of games, and it is so much better suited to the living room experience. I'm sorry but PC gaming sucks.