A-Z of Horse Racing (Part 2)

Comments

• jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conditional jockey, NH weight allowance until a certain number of winners have been ridden by the jockey.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Dipper wrote: »
    Blue Refrain - won 3 races at Royal Ascot in 3 years 1978-1980 (Windsor Castle Stakes, Jersey Stakes & Queen Anne Stakes) a considerable achievement for the small Epsom yard of John Benstead.

One of my favourite trainers and listed as C.J. Benstead. I can also remember, I think it was Clive Benstead who may have been John's dad and hence referring to your "John" to distinguish him from C. Benstead. There was also an I. (Ian,) Benstead who may have been John's brother, who though I didn't know, I knew his reputation as a pigeon fancier racing what was known as the "South Road" from the some of the same points to which I had raced pigeons not many years before, well down into France and even Barcelona.

And before I forget, L. (Syd) Dale another shrewd Epsom trainer from the sixties and the first trainer to handle the mighty Mill House.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebor Handicap
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    G. (Buster) Fenningworth....northern trainer tragically killed in a motoring accident on his way to the races. If I remember rightly, also killed in the accident was his apprentice W. Blenkinsopp.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galopprennbahn Bremen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Historical Home Of Horseracing Handicap, the last race on the final day of Newmarket's July Festival with currently 53 runners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iroquois Handicap
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jacinth, champion 2yo filly in 1972 who won the Falmouth Stakes in 1973.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kin Park, Vernon, British Columbia
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky Number Slevin - pretty good revenge thriller with Josh Hartnett, Morgan Freeman, Ben Kingsley & Bruce Willis.

Lucky Number Slevin is the name of a horse that fails to win for the protagonist's father who is killed by crime lords because he cannot pay his debts (or something like that).
  • scorerscorer Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    Minnehoma (Grand National winner 1994) RIP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sammy Millbanks....lightweight jockey from way back when?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    November Handicap
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Oliver trained West Tip to win a Grand National.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plumpton - one of four racecourses in England without any of the letters RACE in its name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quiz question, a classic :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Cadeaux who runs in today's Princess of Wales Stakes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver Bowl, Haydock
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TNT who sponsor today's July Stakes. Established in 1786 it is the oldest surviving 2yo race in the UK and originally stipulated that horses sired by Eclipse and Highflyer carried an extra 3 pounds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugly Betty (ARG)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    Michael Oliver trained West Tip to win a Grand National.
    Von Trappe - also trained by Michael Oliver to win the Pertemps Final (then the Coral Golden Hurdle Final) in 1985.

(If this horse was named for Captain Georg von Trapp from The Sound of Music it's a spelling mistake. If it wasn't then please ignore the previous sentence.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woodbine Racetrack, Toronto
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xavier Cugat who married Abbe Lane after whom a Uruguyan horse was named. Some woman that Abbe and a good singer to boot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Tube footage of old Grand Nationals
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    TNT who sponsor today's July Stakes. Established in 1786 it is the oldest surviving 2yo race in the UK and originally stipulated that horses sired by Eclipse and Highflyer carried an extra 3 pounds.

Shhhhhhhhh, they'll get ideas about the offspring of Frankel. 3 pounds and pulling a cart.

M.al Zarooni.....no relation to Mickey. :D
This discussion has been closed.