Growing out grey hair

DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im 40 and I dye my hair. I know I have grey hair as my hairline is practically white when it grows out, and ive been going grey for about 15 years.

Ive been pondering letting my hair grown out naturally now. Without cutting it off, as Im not ready fro short hair, what is the best way?

Im still vain enough to not want a horrid grey line for a few years, so was thinking about using semi permanent hair dye and dying it less frequently, would this be a more natural transition? (I use permanent dye at the moment!)

Comments

• Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Im not sure there is an option if you have conpletely grey hair that has been dyed with permanent colour.

My hair is naturally grey too, with the roots at my parting being the worst. I had my hair coloured at the hairdressers so its all a darkish shade. Now i use semi permanent for the roots, but the block colour is always going to be dark. So when the semi permanent washes off i still have a colour on the rest of my head.

I suppose if you know how fast your hair grows then you could use semi permanent until you know it would all be grey but then i think even semi permanent leaves a bit of a colour behind so the roots would be a slightly different shade to the rest.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Im not sure there is an option if you have conpletely grey hair that has been dyed with permanent colour.

My hair is naturally grey too, with the roots at my parting being the worst. I had my hair coloured at the hairdressers so its all a darkish shade. Now i use semi permanent for the roots, but the block colour is always going to be dark. So when the semi permanent washes off i still have a colour on the rest of my head.

I suppose if you know how fast your hair grows then you could use semi permanent until you know it would all be grey but then i think even semi permanent leaves a bit of a colour behind so the roots would be a slightly different shade to the rest.

yeah im thinking to use semi permanent on a much less regular basis, so as they grey grows out the fresh hair is subjected to less and less colour, if that makes sense? then when the line has gone right past my ears, slack off even more. Like try and make it a gradual change over a year or two?
  • tigerowltigerowl Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently decided to take the plunge and go grey. I can't keep up with colouring it. It grows so fast and there is now so much grey (around my parting especially) that my colour only lasts about 2 weeks before starting to look crap.

I had quite long hair but my hairdresser has cut it into a bob and put loads of low-lights all over my head using foils in a colour that's very close to my own natural. It was a big step, but I'm so glad I did it. I feel liberated already. The grey is getting more and more visable (it was 4 weeks ago) but is looking quite natural. I reckon about a year or so, and I'll be mostly grey.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    My hairdresser uses a demi-permanent colour on my hair. She says it lasts longer than semi.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tigerowl wrote: »
    I had quite long hair but my hairdresser has cut it into a bob and put loads of low-lights all over my head using foils in a colour that's very close to my own natural. It was a big step, but I'm so glad I did it. I feel liberated already. The grey is getting more and more visable (it was 4 weeks ago) but is looking quite natural. I reckon about a year or so, and I'll be mostly grey.

This seems like the best solution. I was going to suggest that you see a hairdresser about getting high and low lights for the transition period.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the same dilemma. I did have my hair cut quite short to get rid of all the dyed hair and then grew it into a jaw-length bob. My hair is grey at the front but still quite dark at the back. The feeling of never having to mess around with hair dye again is akin to giving up smoking.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grey hair can look good and chic - but it can look ageing too. However, there IS that sense of liberation if that's the way you have decided to go. I'm still having far too much fun with my purples and reds to want to let nature take over, and grey roots are easily covered with a bit of eye pencil, or a root touch-up until the next time. I'd be grey too if I allowed it!
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,007
    Forum Member
    There are products that remove dye - such as this? I've no idea how good it is and am certianly not making any recommendations, just saying it could be worth investigation.

http://www.boots.com/en/Colour-B4-Hair-Colour-Remover-Includes-Conditioner-for-Frequent-Use_1422863/?cm_mmc=pla-_-google-_-PLAs-_-Boots+Shopping+-+Category+-+Beauty
  • VicarioVicario Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I started growing mine out, got to about ear length then decided to colour again, just for something different. I do wish I'd persevered with it, it was so nice not to have to colour it (and I hennaed, leaving it on for 9 hours a pop every 4/5 weeks). I'm only about 30% grey, so it's not such a shock growing it out. I will definitely grow it out again as I think it looks much nicer and natural, rather than block colour hair with ageing skin. We all grow older, there is nothing shameful in looking your age and I think healthy hair is much nicer than dyed hair.

The hair colour removers only remove dye from your hair. Most hair dyes have a bleach in them, so you will be left with strange coloured hair, not your original colour.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vicario wrote: »
    I started growing mine out, got to about ear length then decided to colour again, just for something different. I do wish I'd persevered with it, it was so nice not to have to colour it (and I hennaed, leaving it on for 9 hours a pop every 4/5 weeks). I'm only about 30% grey, so it's not such a shock growing it out. I will definitely grow it out again as I think it looks much nicer and natural, rather than block colour hair with ageing skin. We all grow older, there is nothing shameful in looking your age and I think healthy hair is much nicer than dyed hair.

The hair colour removers only remove dye from your hair. Most hair dyes have a bleach in them, so you will be left with strange coloured hair, not your original colour.

I've been doing henna for years too, and I've just had enough now. I do love how the henna looks, but it's such a lot of faff and I just don't think I can be bothered. My hair is waist length and I just haven't rehennaed since I last did it in June. I've got a LOT of grey round my temples especially, and it's a good four or five inches long now. I was going to look at temporary dyes and so on, but I haven't bothered yet, and nobody's said anything or pointed and laughed yet. I have wondered about cutting out the dyed hairs, but that would be a massive change, as my hair's been waist length ish for about the last 15 years. I haven't had natural coloured hair in 25 years either, so I'm starting to not recognise myself!
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't you have your hair dyed the color you think it actually is. Then, as it grows out, it wouldn't show.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't you have your hair dyed the color you think it actually is. Then, as it grows out, it wouldn't show.

Unfortunately they don't sell a hair dye that is grey at the front and dark at the back.:)
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highlights are the best answer to mask the grow-through. More on the top to high the obvious roots and a few through the back to even things up. Everyone's hair is naturally darker underneath as it gets less natural sun lightening. Highlights won't need to be done as often as a block dye, so you'll get 6-8 weeks between colours instead of the 3-4 you get with a block colour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vicario wrote: »

Thanks. It has been bleached and dyed all manner of shades in the past few years, so yeah it will probably look odd.

My old hair colour is a reddish brown, but if i permananet dye it like I do now, you end up with a horrible line where the grey meets the dyed. Thats why Im thinking semi permanent as the fade wont be so dramatic!

Highlights are the best answer to mask the grow-through. More on the top to high the obvious roots and a few through the back to even things up. Everyone's hair is naturally darker underneath as it gets less natural sun lightening. Highlights won't need to be done as often as a block dye, so you'll get 6-8 weeks between colours instead of the 3-4 you get with a block colour.

Sounds like the way forward. I imagine they would put less and less highlights / lowlights in each time as well? I will have to go to the proper hairdresser (I box colur my own at the moment and go to those walk in no appontment needed for a trim at the moment!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the way forward. I imagine they would put less and less highlights / lowlights in each time as well? I will have to go to the proper hairdresser (I box colur my own at the moment and go to those walk in no appontment needed for a trim at the moment!)

Yes, if you're having highlights done, you absolutely need to have those done by a professional. It's a much more complicated process that just putting colour all over. Also, make sure you book an appointment with a colourist, because if you're growing out an existing colour, you can't necessarily just bleach over it. They'll be able to tell what colours you'll get with the bleach or colour stripping, and they can help you grow it out gradually and elegantly.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have white /blonde highlights in my hair. I started to go grey around 5 years ago. So, I started having highlights put in. Its blends the grey / white / blonde together so you can't tell whats natural and what isn't.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having seen Strictly Dancing: It Takes Two tonight, I guess Anita Dobson is an example of a successful transition to grey hair. Personally, I hated the grey hair but it was done well.

Highlights and lowlights are great if you have deep pockets....I used to have my hair coloured in a hairdressers but I simply couldn't justify spending that kind of money on myself
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would blonde highlights look ok brown hair though? well, the remaining brown bits?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do a Google image search for brown hair blonde highlights and you'll see hundreds of examples of how it can look. It's a perfectly normal combination.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would blonde highlights look ok brown hair though? well, the remaining brown bits?

That's what I have, brown hair with blonde / white highlights.
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have stopped dying my hair and now have grey hair. I think the trick is to keep it short, cut well and with plenty of conditioner and shine products. Nothing worse than long, dull, grey hair, really ageing. If it is well looked after it looks great.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It used to be that you'd end up with brown hair with big yellow blonde streaks, like the spice girls :eek: But the techniques they use now are more sophisticated, and some fine highlights through the hair mainly has the effect of lightening the overall colour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have stopped dying my hair and now have grey hair. I think the trick is to keep it short, cut well and with plenty of conditioner and shine products. Nothing worse than long, dull, grey hair, really ageing. If it is well looked after it looks great.

Oh.

Im not ready to go short :(

Anyway, still not dyed it yet and still not been to the hairdressers. There's a visible line now probably a centimetre wide. When I pull my hair to one side, it looks proper white in places, i think i am greyer than I expect!
  • tigerowltigerowl Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's now been nearly 3 months since I last had my hair done (I posted above saying I'd chopped to a bob and had loads of lowlights). At first it was awful. I felt like people were looking at me thinking 'can't she afford to get her hair coloured, that grey is really obvious!' but now, it has come through so much it looks kind of streaked and much more natural.

As I used to have it coloured every 3 weeks, I can't say I haven't been tempted to run to my hairdresser crying, but I'm glad I've persevered.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    My 70 year old Mum has blonde highlights put in her grey hair. She had naturally brown hair previously. She has a jaw length bob and it looks really nice. The highlights blend with the grey. She has it done around once a month to blend the roots. To the person who says she doesn't think she can spend that sort of money on herself why not? I've been getting grey roots but have coloured my hair dark brown and have grown it past my shoulders. I previously tried a hair dye remover and it left my hair a funny reddish colour that looked horrible especially as the first two inches of my hair were a different colour. Never again. I think if I decide to go grey I'll save up for a colourist to blend in the grey with highlights like my Mum. I can't afford once a month though at the moment so I'll continue using a £5 block colour in my former natural colour brown and use lots of conditioning and shine products. I colour it as soon as the roots come through with temporary colour then when it's grown out a bit use permanent colour to keep it as healthy as possible.