Itv At 60

emailsemails Posts: 11,282
Forum Member
✭✭
not sure of anyone has done this yet ,or if they have i can't find it? i think itv are going to pull all the stops out for this,as they prepare to celebrate 60 years on 22 september air time 7pm with the only itv company at the start being ASS REDIFUSSION where did that name come from? & ITN bring the news. & a programme on monday night to start it all off BRITIAN AS SEEN BY ITV,might be worth watching.i wounder if they will re-broadcast the launch film that'll be worth keeping on dvd:)

Comments

• JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Ass Redefusion'? :D

I dont think its a good idea to look back, at least in ITV's case. They should only look to the future. It's an entirely different station these days.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    'Ass Redefusion'? :D

I dont think its a good idea to look back, at least in ITV's case. They should only look to the future. It's an entirely different station these days.

Of course it is, the world is totally different to how it was in 1955 too.

Great idea to look back at stuff like this. Very much looking forward to it.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great idea to look back at stuff like this. Very much looking forward to it.

Congratulations.;-)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sixty-one years ago today the Independent Television Authority (as it then was)advertised for programme companies for the London, Midlands and North franchises.There were 25 applications, each franchise having a weekday and weekend contractor. In October the Authority offered contracts as follows:

London weekdays Associated Rediffusion
    London weekends ATV

Midlands weekdays ATV
    Midlands weekends ABC

North weekdays Granada
    North weekends ABC

(The North in those days comprised both the Winter Hill and Emley Moor transmitters)
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    not sure of anyone has done this yet ,or if they have i can't find it? i think itv are going to pull all the stops out for this,as they prepare to celebrate 60 years on 22 september air time 7pm with the only itv company at the start being ASS REDIFUSSION where did that name come from? & ITN bring the news. & a programme on monday night to start it all off BRITIAN AS SEEN BY ITV,might be worth watching.i wounder if they will re-broadcast the launch film that'll be worth keeping on dvd:)

Where did that name come from? Ever heard of Google?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated-Rediffusion
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did that name come from? Ever heard of Google?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated-Rediffusion

i have just read this ,it makes interesting reading
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Sixty-one years ago today the Independent Television Authority (as it then was)advertised for programme companies for the London, Midlands and North franchises.There were 25 applications, each franchise having a weekday and weekend contractor. In October the Authority offered contracts as follows:

London weekdays Associated Rediffusion
    London weekends ATV

Midlands weekdays ATV
    Midlands weekends ABC

North weekdays Granada
    North weekends ABC

(The North in those days comprised both the Winter Hill and Emley Moor transmitters)

So ATV did London weekends originally ? Or at least had the opportunity ? This as well as the Midlands weekdays. Never knew that. And Granada the only one still existing today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So ATV did London weekends originally ? Or at least had the opportunity ? This as well as the Midlands weekdays. Never knew that. And Granada the only one still existing today.

yes i think granada is the only key survivor from day 1 ,followed by yorkshire television
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes i think granada is the only key survivor from day 1 ,followed by yorkshire television

Granada is certainly the only one left standing when the music stopped.

STV are still in business, and UTV may well be by the 22nd Sept.

Of all the companies bought out by Granada/Carlton (ITV) or STV; Anglia, Grampian, Border, Tyne-Tees and Channel were in from the start of ITV in their regions.

Central's a special case as it was essentially ATV with a shareholder pruning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just been looking at wiki for the next tv milestone ,which is the bbc television service . that started broadcasting 2 november 1936 as we all know from AP ,however wiki states that tv was being made even earlyer as far back as 1929 in long acre,london ,which is the same street channel 5 launched there tv channel .which means then we wait til 2029 to mark 100 years of uk tv as a whole?
    i'll correct that 2019 which 90 years

i'll correct that again 2017 marks channel 5s 20 years in broadcasting:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first experimental television test transmission took place on October 30, 1928, using the BBC transmitter at Daventry. From August 1932 the BBC conducted regular test transmissions using a studio at Broadcasting House.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yorkshire Television only started in 1968.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STV went on the air in August 1957
    TWW January 1958 (later became HTV)
    Tyne Tees January 1959
    Anglia October 1959
    UTV October 1959
    Westward April 1961
    Border September 1961
    Grampian September 1961
    Channel September 1962
    Teledu Cymru September 1962 (went bankrupt and was taken over by TWW in 1964)
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first experimental television test transmission took place on October 30, 1928, using the BBC transmitter at Daventry. From August 1932 the BBC conducted regular test transmissions using a studio at Broadcasting House.

Because they only had one transmitter it was sound or vision until they managed to get two. I think it was the National and Regional transmitters they then used, it will be on Google somewhere. Super high definition, 30 lines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they only had one transmitter it was sound or vision until they managed to get two. I think it was the National and Regional transmitters they then used, it will be on Google somewhere. Super high definition, 30 lines.

Daventry had two channels from 1927 according to the BBC Handbook
  • Phil_BaggersPhil_Baggers Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we've seen The..........Story series such as Gameshow, Talent Show and Saturday Night. I wonder will we see The ITV Story soon?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    Yorkshire Television only started in 1968.

ok so we will leave it at granada then:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People tend to forget that in the early years ITV struggled financially, had to make lots of cutbacks, and some companies were in danger of going under.The government also placed a limit of the number of hours of transmission each day; it didn't worry the BBC but affected advertising revenue. The limit was eventually lifted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is this wonderful show on YouTube which celebrates 10 years of LWT in the late 70s. Dennis Norden tells of the hardship suffered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxb_TJNnZbc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teledu Cymru was a sad case and the only ITV company to go bankrupt. The ITA
    was persuaded to create a franchise for west and north Wales which turned out to be totally unviable in commercial terms.Despite having programmes supplied free by the other ITV companies the contractor had to provide ten hours a week of Welsh language programmes and was not able to use the Welsh programmes already being made by Granada and TWW (in fact Granada stopped making Welsh programmes when Teledu Cymru went on the air). Also most viewers in north Wales could receive programmes from Winter Hill. The company was taken over by TWW in 1964.
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STV went on the air in August 1957
    TWW January 1958 (later became HTV)
    Tyne Tees January 1959
    Anglia October 1959
    UTV October 1959
    Westward April 1961
    Border September 1961
    Grampian September 1961
    Channel September 1962
    Teledu Cymru September 1962 (went bankrupt and was taken over by TWW in 1964)
    You have forgotten Southern. Incidentally what about Fred Dineage. When did he make his debut on Southern. I am sure he was presenting Day by Day and How as far back as 1966. I can remember watching Southern that year as we were on holiday in Broadstairs,Kent. That being the case he must be thinking of celebrating his fiftieth anniversary of broadcasting to the South of England as he is still presenting Meridian News today.
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering whether any forum members have any recollections of actually watching Associated Rediffusion on its launch night here in London. Other fascinating questions where comments would be very much appreciated are, What was reception like on Channel 9 from Croydon bearing in mind that the transmitting mast on Beaullah Hill was not all that tall (later replaced in 1962) and the ERP was only 60 Kw. What make and model of TV set were you using? Did your tv have the ability to switch channels or were you using a tv that could not switch channels but was instead pretuned and fixed to BBC on channel 1 thus requiring a converter box to be used? Did you go to the trouble of installing a Band 3 VHF aerial on the roof specially for ITV? What about test transmissions on the run up to launch day. When did they commence?. Did they use test card C? I know that Associated Rediffusion did have their own test card. Were there any trade test films or promotion material shown before launch day? Lots to be going on with there. Look forward to your comments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leslie123 wrote: »
    I was wondering whether any forum members have any recollections of actually watching Associated Rediffusion on its launch night here in London. Other fascinating questions where comments would be very much appreciated are, What was reception like on Channel 9 from Croydon bearing in mind that the transmitting mast on Beaullah Hill was not all that tall (later replaced in 1962) and the ERP was only 60 Kw. What make and model of TV set were you using? Did your tv have the ability to switch channels or were you using a tv that could not switch channels but was instead pretuned and fixed to BBC on channel 1 thus requiring a converter box to be used? Did you go to the trouble of installing a Band 3 VHF aerial on the roof specially for ITV? What about test transmissions on the run up to launch day. When did they commence?. Did they use test card C? I know that Associated Rediffusion did have their own test card. Were there any trade test films or promotion material shown before launch day? Lots to be going on with there. Look forward to your comments.
    thats interesting,i would not know where to start here,there might be info on youtube on all this? i think mentioned early test tv transmissions started in 1929? i'll have to see if that is on YT as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have forgotten Southern. Incidentally what about Fred Dineage. When did he make his debut on Southern. I am sure he was presenting Day by Day and How as far back as 1966. I can remember watching Southern that year as we were on holiday in Broadstairs,Kent. That being the case he must be thinking of celebrating his fiftieth anniversary of broadcasting to the South of England as he is still presenting Meridian News today.

Thank you for reminding me - Southern went on the air on August 30, 1958 from Chillerton Down and the Dover transmitter followed in January 1960.

Associated Rediffusion went on the air on September 22, 1955 with ATV at weekends;
    ATV Midlands on February 17, 1956 with ABC at weekends; Granada on Winter Hill on May 3, 1956 with Emley Moor on November 3, 1956, ABC at weekends.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He started presenting Yorksport for Yorkshire Television in 1968,and also may networked ITV Sports productions.