Options

Best broadband to go for?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can get Talk Talk, Sky, BT or Virgin. Seeminly Talk Talk is poor, Sky has some good deals 1TB box but after the first year it will go away up to £35 quid.

Virgin broadband only is £25.50 50mb speed or BT? I can get about 17MB with BT for £25. I believe they also throw in BT Sport "lite" which would be good. However I'd rather have a Humax box for it is it best to buy online or do they give you a free box? I'm not fussed about a phone line just looking for a fixed price deal.

Many offer vouchers for new customers too.

Comments

• Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Notice Sky also have a deal with a free laptop £36 for phone, broadband and sky tv for one year £46 after first year though.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are not limited to those 4, there are many many others.
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your title is asking for the best broadband but then you add in TV. So you need to decide exactly what it is you want then do the homework to find who supplies what it is you want. All the big players continually change their package offers so it's pretty pointless looking until you are ready to sign up as what you see today my not be available next week.
  • Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get Vodafone. Theyre router is amazing.
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin Media is the fastest in the UK, but check speeds for your area as they vary wildly. I'm on 100mb but can't get anywhere near that, I usually get 40-60 but it was a free upgrade from 50mb anyway so I'm not that bothered.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    Get Vodafone. Theyre router is amazing.

What is amazing about it?
    I am still in contact at the moment, but after i may look at vodafone if I do not go back to my old provider.
    Saying that I do like to use my own router.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dellzincht wrote: »
    Virgin Media is the fastest in the UK, but check speeds for your area as they vary wildly. I'm on 100mb but can't get anywhere near that, I usually get 40-60 but it was a free upgrade from 50mb anyway so I'm not that bothered.

Fast is not always better, you need customer service, reliability, no blocking, and no traffic mutilating
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From personal experience I'd say go for talktalk, me, family and friends use it, solid speeds, no throttling, truly unlimited downloads et al.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    From personal experience I'd say go for talktalk, me, family and friends use it, solid speeds, no throttling, truly unlimited downloads et al.

Awful customer service, though.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But getting better, when you break the complaints figures down its about two thousand from four million (thats 4,000,000 punters) customers so a drop in the ocean in the real world.

Sadly people only seem concerned with the small minority numbers and not the real world experience.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on BT Infinity 2 and would recommend the broadband sadly I couldn't say the same about customer service they are dreadful in my experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As much as I hate to say it, their customer service is getting better, a friend is with them at the moment and the couple of problems she had have been handled ok.
    she is moving soon, so what they will be like in handling a move is another thing.

Saying all of that, it is still one of the ones that would not be my first choice. Then Plusnet was really on my list either.

TBH, all large providers are more or less the same these days, all cutting costs and trying to sell broadband as cheap as possible,
  • Options
    Michael_LambertMichael_Lambert Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    If you really want the best broadband go with Virgin, I find the wifi in their superhub to be problematic so you might want to run it in modem mode and look for a decent router to use in it's place for wifi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he wants the best broadband, then try one of the smaller providers, but you will pay more.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes best broadband is definitely the smaller providers. TalkTalk And Sky are both rubbish in my experience and the customer service at all leaves a lot of questions.

I think you have to go where you think you get the best deal. BT do TV so I suspect you can get your box through BT, use that as your haggle room. Sky have loads of gimicks at the moment as they are clearly under attack from BT, yet they still have more top football (if that's what you want) but you will pay for it in the subs price.

As for virgin I can't comment as never used them.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check your speeds for your area, Virgin wins hands down for broadband I have been with 3 of those you mentioned.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Sky have amazing deals, UK-based customer support, and an award-winning router with the latest technologies you need for a better connection. We have to use BT at work, but my Sky connection at home is definitely faster and more reliable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's pure speed you're after, you can't get any faster than Virgin Media.

Virgin also has everything the person above posting about Sky has got too, but Sky, BT etc only use copper wire so download speeds are nowhere near as fast and never will be.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Virgin also has everything the person above posting about Sky has got too, but Sky, BT etc only use copper wire so download speeds are nowhere near as fast and never will be.

Except where the Virgin network in your local area is congested, resulting in peak time speeds that are probably lower than you'd get elsewhere.

Or if you care about upload speeds - as BT's upload is still higher than Virgin's.

Or if you get annoyed by perennial issues with the VM network, like YouTube being slow, or sites being blocked

It is not true that "BT only use copper wire", because BT also have a small fibre to the premises rollout - offering speeds currently well in excess of what Virgin offers. And it's worth pointing out that "Virgin only use copper wire" too - just differently constructed. It is no more "fibre" than the BT fibre to the cabinet network is.

Your post sounds like you've basically copied a Virgin ad out of a newspaper.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you're talking about all of BT's broadband packages, FTTC uses so much fibre and then depending on how far the person lives from the cabinet, a short distance of copper. FTTP uses all fibre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is no one really knows how good a network is until they have tried it.
    I heard that Plusnet was very good, not as good as I would like it to be, like it is not crap, but it could be better. some people I know that have BT, some finds it ok, some find it crap.
    The same with Talk Talk, i know a lot of people with Talk and most of them had problems, with slow network and reliability. Only when a friend of mine had Talk Talk I realised how good they can be. i do not think I would go with them myself
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I'm with Plusnet (Fibre Unlimited)at the moment & not had any problems, but i'm looking for better value.
    BT has caught my eye with their discounted SIM deals,but as normal i don't want to jump ship onto a crap provider & the internet has your normal 'moaning' threads which doesn't always paint the correct picture.

Any advice?
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    If Virgin covered where I live I'd be tempted by the Uswitch deal @ £5 pm, 12 month contract, up to 50 Mb which should be doubling (the speed) later this year. + £16.99 line rental.