Options

Mice in the kitchen

DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the corner of our kitchen it is like a raised counter, there used to be an old boiler in it which was removed about 5 years ago when we had a new boiler put on the wall in the kitchen. This area has become a bit of a dumping ground tbh for stuff.

Theres a bit of a false wall that has a small hole in it where the pipes go and just below that / next to the raised bit there was a bag of oats. Anyway, my husband was up at 3am letting our dog out and heard a scrabbling sound. He went to have a look and there was a bag of oats next to the raised bit and a few inches from the hol that had been nibbled and some of the oats eaten!

So on saturday, i bought a load of stuff from B&Q and we cleaned the kitchen. When i cleared the dumping ground corner, along the edge was loads of mouse poo :cry: no food was up there fortunately but there was on the lower counters, all the spices and stuff. So ive chucked them and disinfected the work tops. I cleaned out the cupboards above, but there was no mouse poo in there.

However, in one of the other cupboards over the other side of the kitchen where the dog food is kept (tinned i might add) there was three of four poos on one of the shelves. I am thinking they found the false wall and a ready supply of food so stayed there and went as far as the oats.

Anyway, disinfected the area and filled the hole with mouse poison and used foam filler to seal u the gaps which looks *great*.

Im now wondering if i did the right thing. My husband let the dog out again and could hear them / it scrabbling behind the wall. Im thinking if they eat the poison, theyre going to die behind there and its going to smell. If they dont eat the poison they might starve to death and smell. If they find a way out theyre going to p*ss and sh*t all over the other parts of the kitchen.

thinking - i should have got a sonic mouse repellent, but theres mixed reviews on the internet - also they need to be unhindered by furniture, so if i plug it in, it will stop them coming into the kitchen but might they migrate elsewhere?

can anyone else offer any advice on the best way to get rid of mice?

By the way, we already have 3 terriers, one of which is a jack the other is a yorkie and they're oblivious. Cersei the cat is next to useless too, ive told her she needs to earn her keep but she just stared at me then walked off.

Too long, didnt read - does anyone know if sonic mouse repellents work?

Comments

• Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Before we got our cat we had occasional mouse visits and one or two small infestations.

I always used snap traps baited with crunchy peanut butter. Even if they know they will die, they must have the peanut butter.

Not a single mouse in the house since we got the cat.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear about your mouse problem. It is horrible. We get mice most years in our flat in London (we live just off a busy high street, so probably not surprising). From my own experience sonic repellants don't work. We used them before and found they had little to no effect on the mice.

The only thing we have found to work effectively has been a combination of poison and traps.

The main issue with poison is as you say, the mice do tend to go off to die, and then you end up getting a bit of a smell unfortunately (it does go after a day or two I've found), and with traps you have the unpleasant job of removing the squished mouse from the trap and disposing of it. Do persevere though - eventually you will get it under control. Obviously if the problem worsens contact the council as they might have a pest control service you can use (for a charge).
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the replies.

yeah dont fancy removing squished mice from a trap :(

I work for a lettings / management company and we have a pest control guy who charges £60 - £80 to put professional poison down. We usually send our maintenance guys round to fill the holes with filler too, so hopefully ive got all the holes, but the pest guy said they can squeeze through gaps as small as 1cm.

Council only deal with rats too, not mice

Our cat is useless! I dont think she is the hunting type though, shes not one to bring us presents so i guess because she never learned to hunt she doesnt know what to do.

I heard mice love peanut butter before though! I have some poison packs left over, and some peanut butter, so perhaps if i mix the two, they may be tempted to eat the poisoned bait! Think I will try that. I will need to put it somewhere where the cat can't get to it though and she does jump up on kitchen units.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only started to regularly get mice after I got a cat! She loves to bring them in for an extended play and then they often make their escape>:(

Anyway to OP's problem - I'd be reluctant to start spreading poison about, especially mixed in with nice smelling food as both your cat and dogs can probably get to places you wouldn't believe.:(
    Traps are best - you could try the humane ones if you don't fancy dealing with the corpses. If you do use old school traps again you need to be sure the cat/dogs can't get their paws in them as they can be quite powerful.
    I found peanut butter does work well, as does chocolate spread and crackers.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Peppermint tea bags get rid of mice. They can't stand the smell.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We get a few each winter as I assume it's because it's cold outside. We use these traps -

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/rentokil-advanced-mouse-traps---2-pack-723773

Due to the design of them it's easy to dispose of the mouse without touching them. It's not a nice thing to do, but I would rather dispose of them myself than smell behind a wall.

I put chocolate or cheese in them, normally works well.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Good disinfected but shouldn't have put poison down.

Should have lured in to a box then released in to wild humanely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A
    Peppermint tea bags get rid of mice. They can't stand the smell.

A good alternative.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they don't work, my Mum has three of them she's so scared of the things. The meeces couldn't give a damn about them.

I bought a clear plastic humane mousey trap and it took a day to catch the cute little thing, they won't go inside the ones that aren't transparent or the steel box one we bought, that was crap too.

Humane

No mouse has not been back since I deposited him down the road. Also found peppermint oil dripped onto cotton wool balls is good. Put them near your food cupboard, lovely smell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah humane is cool.

I've a spidey catcher too, good they do mice 🐭 too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    Yeah humane is cool.

I've a spidey catcher too, good they do mice 🐭 too.

If you kill one another just takes it's place, that's how nature works.

We had one chew it's way into our green food recycle bin, I let the poor thing out but the next day when I looked inside it was back and it had overdosed on some cocoa powder I binned. :(

Once you get over the initial annoyance at having them chew open your biscuits and crap in your food cupboard they are quite adorable things. Gave me an excuse to clean the place really. :p
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    We used to have rats and mice in our garden, but they vanished after grass snakes took up residence in our Compost rotters.

Mice get in from outside so check outside access - ours was an old dryer vent from kitchen to garage - quick B&Q plastic cover sorted that.

Snap traps are the best IMHO - tried the humane traps but they did not work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    If you kill one another just takes it's place, that's how nature works.

We had one chew it's way into our green food recycle bin, I let the poor thing out but the next day when I looked inside it was back and it had overdosed on some cocoa powder I binned. :(

Once you get over the initial annoyance at having them chew open your biscuits and crap in your food cupboard they are quite adorable things. Gave me an excuse to clean the place really. :p

That's sad bout the mouse od'ing.

They are quite cute though thankfully not had in flat.

Used to get in my rabbits hutch. They like bunny 🐰 food.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    We used to have rats and mice in our garden, but they vanished after grass snakes took up residence in our Compost rotters.

Mice get in from outside so check outside access - ours was an old dryer vent from kitchen to garage - quick B&Q plastic cover sorted that.

Snap traps are the best IMHO - tried the humane traps but they did not work.

Snakes in garden that's scary.

Poor mice and rats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's sad bout the mouse od'ing.

They are quite cute though thankfully not had in flat.

Used to get in my rabbits hutch. They like bunny 🐰 food.

There's a chemical in chocolate that kills them, dogs can't take too much of it either. Wondered if he would survive but he came back for seconds, silly thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's sad. Obviously liked taste.

Like humans like things bad for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OP needs to be very careful.

Poison is very dangerous it could harm those not intended to.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey OP
    Some say you need to take a mouse trapped in a humane trap up to 2 miles from your property to release. Otherwise it will return.
    Renovating an old cottage which at the moment is far from mouse proof.
    Just caught 7!
    1) Never leave a crumb of food out including pet food.
    2) Wipe down kitchen surfaces with peppermint oil.
    4) block as many ingress points as you can. Use steel wool for a temporary fix.

Have ordered electronic zappers. The old fashioned traps don't always kill outright and it is horrible. Poison means they will die in unexpected places and it is not a nice way to go. Meanwhile if you use humane traps, mousey often evacuates a ton of urine while caught. :confused:
    But for traditional traps i have used peanut butter and meat/meat fat with great success.

Re sonic repellers i think they do often work but not on an existiing rodent problem.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah dont fancy removing squished mice from a trap :(
    it's worse when you've got a live mouse with its left caught in one of those snappy traps. :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plastic humane trap with chocolate and peanut butter as bait. It took a couple of days but when it was caught and we tried to release it in the field it wouldn't go as it was still munching.. We had to leave the trap in the field and collect it an hour or so later.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found something better than straight peanut butter to catch the furry little critters.

Snickers Flapjacks - peanuts, chocolate, toffee and oats. They absolutely love them.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »
    it's worse when you've got a live mouse with its left caught in one of those snappy traps. :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

That's horrible. :(

OP, please try humane traps. They are not that hard to get rid of humanely and once they've gone you can block all the possible entry points. NEVER use poison if you've got pets.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Still

Snakes in garden that's scary.

Poor mice and rats.

Grass snakes are harmless, a protected species, and they get rid of furry invaders - what's not to like !!
  • Options
    Plucky_OctopusPlucky_Octopus Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I only started to regularly get mice after I got a cat! She loves to bring them in for an extended play and then they often make their escape>:(

I think our cats are sisters :) but we only find out once we get that lovely smell, as they like to die behind the washing machine or sideboard. The two places she can't get to. Sometimes we're lucky and get to play real life mouse trap so the buggers can escape.

However I'm really sorry I can't offer any help but you have my sympathy.

Thank you for the peppermint tip :D
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You did the right thing. I did that and seaking it off meant the place is permanently mouse proofed. They are vermin.