'Amateurs' vs 'Professionals' in an X Factor context

tiggosaurustiggosaurus Posts: 3,653
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having read a few musings on this subject in the past few weeks, I'd be interested in knowing what people's general views are on the 'backgrounds' of X Factor contestants.

Many semi-successful auditionees are not entirely new to the business and, personally, I see nothing wrong with that - if someone has a serious ambition, then surely they will take whatever opportunities are around to showcase themselves? The same goes with 'training' as well - I see nothing wrong with it. IMHO it's merely someone trying to better themselves and I don't think it should be seen as giving them an 'unfair' advantage.

One thing I would prefer to see, however, is complete openess about these factors. If contestants do well and a previously unknown TV appearance / music recording / link with one of the producers or judges comes to light later on it makes it looks like deliberate subterfuge and that doesn't really go down very well with the audience.

N.B. PLEASE don't let this degenerate into a Leon vs Rhydian argument! I think the forum is swamped with enough of those at present. :rolleyes:

(P.S. I'm aware people will post whatever the hell they like, not trying to dictate, just hoping for some 'non-polarised' views. :))

Comments

• tiggosaurustiggosaurus Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    25 mins later: no views and no replies? :confused:

I thought some FM's might welcome a respite from the 'so-and-so is blah' threads. Oh well! :p

(I know it's v sad replying to my own post, but talking to yourself is actually a sign of genius, so someone told me when I was a child. Though it might well have been me who said it :o).

;)
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer to watch polished performances that are in tune. So the more training they have had the better in my book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't got a clear view one way or the other. On the one hand, if people have been in the business for a long time, then surely they would have already been discovered (if they had the Xfactor)?

I also don't like the idea of a non professional/amateur not getting a place because the final is full of stage school kids.

Suppose I have no problem with it, as long as there is a mixture.

personally, i would go for the non polished act every time.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So long as the best are put there, then I don't have a problem.

My concern just now is that the best aren't being put there for a whole variety of reasons.
  • tiggosaurustiggosaurus Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think I tend to see both sides and the pros and cons of each.

I agree that someone who has been around for quite a while would most likely have been 'discovered' if they were good enough (a reason why I think v few over-25's ever do really well in these programmes, Paul Potts being the obvious exception who springs to mind).

On the other hand, I do think there seems to be a little bit of inverse snobbery around so-called 'middle-class stage school brats'.

On balance I think I'd lean towards the more polished act every time.
  • beast1982beast1982 Posts: 5,350
    Forum Member
    I thought the XF was about discovering talent not using talent that has already been signed and worked in the industry. Doesnt seem totally fair to me as a) they will immediately know how the industry works and b)will have had more opportunites to hone their performance skills
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Having training doesnt mean someone is better than an amature only for that reason, if someones a great singer they are a great singer training just perfects the technique, IMO no matter how much vocal and performance training leon will get now will never make him better than rhydian or leona, having an amazing voice is something you cant teach.

Also if someone has prior experience and has tried several means to succeed as leona did it just shows how passionate they are to make it in the business and do what ever it takes. A lot of people on these shows think they can sing so they should be a star and x factor is the easy way achieve that rather than grafting and working hard for it. Leona grafted since she was 13, making two albums going through performance schools and xfactor was her last resort. I respect that much more than someone who just woke up one day and thought i can sing ill go on xfactor.
  • beast1982beast1982 Posts: 5,350
    Forum Member
    I totally agree working hard at it is completely different. I think when u have had record contracts before, its different
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    utoia2007 wrote: »
    Having training doesnt mean someone is better than an amature only for that reason, if someones a great singer they are a great singer training just perfects the technique, IMO no matter how much vocal and performance training leon will get now will never make him better than rhydian or leona, having an amazing voice is something you cant teach.

Also if someone has prior experience and has tried several means to succeed as leona did it just shows how passionate they are to make it in the business and do what ever it takes. A lot of people on these shows think they can sing so they should be a star and x factor is the easy way achieve that rather than grafting and working hard for it. Leona grafted since she was 13, making two albums going through performance schools and xfactor was her last resort. I respect that much more than someone who just woke up one day and thought i can sing ill go on xfactor.

I completely agree with you, but think it is better to be upfront from the beginning about previous experience rather than the media find out, as in the case of Nikki who we were told every week was 'just a school dinner lady.'
    It possibly lost her a lot of votes and a place in the final.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    R4win wrote: »
    I completely agree with you, but think it is better to be upfront from the beginning about previous experience rather than the media find out, as in the case of Nikki who we were told every week was 'just a school dinner lady.'
    It possibly lost her a lot of votes and a place in the final.

I agree its better to be up front, the contestants would seem more credible as well. But i think x factor is to blame for keeping it secret not the contestants, what they say goes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    utoia2007 wrote: »

Great post.
  • WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    I think it is about time that people realised that you can't just be a singing star because you want to. You HAVE to work hard at it - even if you have an amazing natural talent. Too many young people think they don't need to work hard at anything because wanting it enough will be enough.

Shows like X Factor which give the impression that you can be plucked from obscurity and suddenly become a star do not help the situation.