Options

Crossroads

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Crossroads Mk I and Mk II were badly written and badly produced, and the re-introduction of a particularly bad (not "superb" at all, except in the heights of mediocrity she scaled) actress in Jane "I've only ever played one role" Rossington, did not make or break the new Crossroads. I concede that she provided a link with the past, but also proved the point that the past should be left buried. Whoever dug up this fourth rate actress barely fit for amateur dramatics to return the this abysmal third rate soap should not have bothered.

As for the soap being "doomed" after her departure, Crossroads Mk I was doomed without her departure. Would you ask the Captain of the Titanic to sail another ship on a transatlantic voyage? I think not.

At least we should be grateful that they didn't exhume Noele Gordon (whose career is surely as dead as Rossington's) to appear as well.

I can only surmise that someone who felt her axing was a loss needs to get a job and get some structure back in their lives.
    Well you are entitled to your opinion I suppose but there really is no need to be so vitriolic with it. We can all quote statistics and as many are aware statistics can be quoted to suit whichever argument, they actually don't mean that much, but facts are harder to juggle.
    Crossroads was a huge ratings grabber for ITV without any doubt and also Crossroads had the same technical problems with its production, as did many programmes at that time which I believe includes Corrie.
    Your comments about Jane and Noele were deplorable to be honest and not that worthy of a response, but if you are right then why did they last so long?
    If they are as bad as you say they were then surely they would have been sacked?
    Lets be honest Crossroads provided many comedians with all the material they could ever want,and many did go on to launch huge careers on the back of Crossroads so called failures.
    That said material though, could never have been useful if the programme was a failure and was, as such used by the comedians because of the programmes huge success and ratings. I'm sorry but the facts speak for themselves and also I might add your attempts to dis the programme are nothing new because every Crossroads fan the world over has heard them all before and we are actually quite used to the programme being slagged off, usually by people who never even bothered to watch it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    What aload of complete and utter tosh.
    Crossroads, darling, was one of the top shows for twenty years-can you imagine any show these days, managing more than a couple of years at the top, never mind twenty.
    Jane Rossington has acted, non-stop, for the last 50 years, so I'd hardly call her a 'one-part' actress.

You name me some of the other things she has acted in: I can name two.
    Crossroads was her first acting job, not fifty years ago but about 42/43? Did Crossroad's start in 1963 or 1964?
    She, and crossroads itself were axed in 1988. In about 1999 or thereabouts she appeared in a tongue in cheek cameo in a Lily Savage programme, she was re-employed in Crossroads for 3 months with the return of the show in 2002, or was it 2001? then axed one again. Since then I have read that she has been in one production over a period of a week or so, named the Paper Piano in Edinburgh two or three years back.
    Tell me pray, "darling", how does that constitute working "non-stop?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James (or is it Toby?), you seem very bitter towards Crossroads?
    And it may shock you to learn, but acting isn't just about television, Jane's an accomplished stage actress, and has rarely been out of work.
  • Options
    CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You name me some of the other things she has acted in: I can name two.
    Crossroads was her first acting job, not fifty years ago but about 42/43? Did Crossroad's start in 1963 or 1964?
    She, and crossroads itself were axed in 1988. In about 1999 or thereabouts she appeared in a tongue in cheek cameo in a Lily Savage programme, she was re-employed in Crossroads for 3 months with the return of the show in 2002, or was it 2001? then axed one again. Since then I have read that she has been in one production over a period of a week or so, named the Paper Piano in Edinburgh two or three years back.
    Tell me pray, "darling", how does that constitute working "non-stop?"

Jane was on the stage in rep before Crossroads... She had a cameo in Brookie a few years ago... and has been on the stage since Crossroads... Not all acting occurs on the television. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Jane was on the stage in rep before Crossroads... She had a cameo in Brookie a few years ago... and has been on the stage since Crossroads... Not all acting occurs on the television. :cool:

Actually, i'm 19 and even i know that Jane Rossington started her acting career with the soap Emergency - Ward 10 which began in 1957, 7 years before Crossroads started.

Also, when Crossroads came back in 2001, she went on record as only wanting to be on screen for 3 months and stated that that was it - she would never do Crossroads again after that - and there are some people on here that need to get thier facts right as i'm sure campcrusder will agree with me - along with many other fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James (or is it Toby?), you seem very bitter towards Crossroads?
    And it may shock you to learn, but acting isn't just about television, Jane's an accomplished stage actress, and has rarely been out of work.

Ok, smartarse, give me a rundown of all her acomplished stage work. Even I named the Paper Piano, you name me five more, and we'll call it a draw.
    Also, explain "Toby"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, smartarse, give me a rundown of all her acomplished stage work.
    Why, are you compiling her biography?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why, are you compiling her biography?

Evasive tactics.....
    No, I'm not writing her biography (don't think anybody is), just asking you to justify your claim that she is a busy and accomplished stage actress. Like I said, do so and I'll be happy to call it a draw.

As a special prize I might even explain my "bitterness" towards Jane, Noele and Crossroads generally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evasive tactics.....
    No, I'm not writing her biography (don't think anybody is), just asking you to justify your claim that she is a busy and accomplished stage actress. Like I said, do so and I'll be happy to call it a draw.

As a special prize I might even explain my "bitterness" towards Jane, Noele and Crossroads generally.
    I'm sure you'll find it impossible not to reveal your burning hatred of the show, they usually can't.

I've absolutely no intention whatsoever, of 'justyfing my claim' but it clearly means an awful lot to you, so I suggest you indulge in a little treasure hunt yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure you'll find it impossible not to reveal your burning hatred of the show, they usually can't.

I've absolutely no intention whatsoever, of 'justyfing my claim' but it clearly means an awful lot to you, so I suggest you indulge in a little treasure hunt yourself.

I thought not, no evidence, no work.
    Goodbye x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought not, no evidence, no work.
    Goodbye x
    How refreshingly simplistic.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, she had a cameo on Brookside a few years back (and then THAT was axed? Concidence?) but the cameo was AS JILL!!!! Not exactly demonstrating her versatility!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, she had a cameo on Brookside a few years back (and then THAT was axed? Concidence?)
    That is the funniest thing I've read all day! You really don't like poor Jane do you? Have you thought of therapy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is the funniest thing I've read all day! You really don't like poor Jane do you? Have you thought of therapy?

Oh, its YOU again. I'm glad you describe her as poor, i.e. Deficient, inadequate, incomplete, insufficient, meagre, miserable, niggardly, pitiable, reduced, scanty, slight, sparse, pathetic, unfortunate, unlucky, wretched, (though in actual fact I gather she's pretty rich, Queen Ann Manor House in Lichfield, thank you very much).

Winding you up is cheaper than therapy.... :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Winding you up is cheaper than therapy.... :p
    News just in-if that's your therapy, it ain't working, I'm totally loving your considerable Jane Rossington knowledge, I'm thinking you love her really, it's alright James, you're amongst friends...
  • Options
    CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, she had a cameo on Brookside a few years back (and then THAT was axed? Concidence?) but the cameo was AS JILL!!!! Not exactly demonstrating her versatility!

Fair comment.... but if you read my post - there's been lots of stage work, too - both before and since (which puts and end to your theory that she started in Crossroads) - inclduing long-running roles in Emergency Ward Ten and The Archers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    News just in-if that's your therapy, it ain't working, I'm totally loving your considerable Jane Rossington knowledge, I'm thinking you love her really, it's alright James, you're amongst friends...

Ok, I'll come clean, I only posted on this thread to wind up a friend (david_harvey who my original reply was to) who is so crossroads obsessed that I went from knowing little about the show when we first met, the last episode in 1988 being the only full episode I had ever watched, to being forced to endure hours and hours of his trivia on the subject, being "persuaded" to watch old episodes from his "private collection", being given a run down of Gordon, Rossington, Pam Vesey, Jeanette Mc Morragh Etc etc etc. But for him, I'd have been at worst indifferent to Crossroads, but his totally unobjective opinion of the "marvellous" Jane Rossington has driven me to the opposite extreme. In the environment of Crossroads, she may amongst the other cast have rated as an adequate performer, but after 17 years of david_harvey's (n.b "harvey" in honour of the character of Jill) friendship trying to convince me that she is comparable to Maggie Smith or Judy Dench, a female Sir John Gielgud has had completely the opposite effect. (you may be interested to know, that in the interests of friendship, I have even been on a pilgrimage to Ross on Wye's churchyard to visit the grave of Ms "frostyknickers" Gordon to place flowers)

I have no real problem with Miss Gordon, Miss Rossington or Crossroads, other than it being held up as an example of excellence. It was not. People enjoyed it, fair enough, but the standards were amateurish. Viewer enjoyment does not make it a well made or well acted show. It may have been no worse than many others but it was certainly no better. Call a spade a spade.

However, when I saw the outraged reaction it inspired in you, I've kept on with this thread just for amusement.

There you go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I'll come clean, I only posted on this thread to wind up a friend (david_harvey who my original reply was to) who is so crossroads obsessed that I went from knowing little about the show when we first met, the last episode in 1988 being the only full episode I had ever watched, to being forced to endure hours and hours of his trivia on the subject, being "persuaded" to watch old episodes from his "private collection", being given a run down of Gordon, Rossington, Pam Vesey, Jeanette Mc Morragh Etc etc etc. But for him, I'd have been at worst indifferent to Crossroads, but his totally unobjective opinion of the "marvellous" Jane Rossington has driven me to the opposite extreme. In the environment of Crossroads, she may amongst the other cast have rated as an adequate performer, but after 17 years of david_harvey's (n.b "harvey" in honour of the character of Jill) friendship trying to convince me that she is comparable to Maggie Smith or Judy Dench, a female Sir John Gielgud has had completely the opposite effect. (you may be interested to know, that in the interests of friendship, I have even been on a pilgrimage to Ross on Wye's churchyard to visit the grave of Ms "frostyknickers" Gordon to place flowers)

I have no real problem with Miss Gordon, Miss Rossington or Crossroads, other than it being held up as an example of excellence. It was not. People enjoyed it, fair enough, but the standards were amateurish. Viewer enjoyment does not make it a well made or well acted show. It may have been no worse than many others but it was certainly no better. Call a spade a spade.

However, when I saw the outraged reaction it inspired in you, I've kept on with this thread just for amusement.

There you go.
    Told you you'd tell us anyway...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Told you you'd tell us anyway...
    That was unworthy of you. Shame. Thought you were at least a decent sparring partner. I told you all that because it was clearly upsetting you so much. After that dismal response, I'm calling it a night. Ta ta.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was unworthy of you. Shame. Thought you were at least a decent sparring partner. I told you all that because it was clearly upsetting you so much. After that dismal response, I'm calling it a night. Ta ta.
    Oh I'm disappointed in you James, the 'I was forced, kicking and screaming' sketch has a very hollow ring to it.
    Me thinks you love Crossroads, you love discussing it, but, like a shy admirer of a popular work collegue, you play 'I don't like it' game.
    I care less either way, your knowledge of the show (despite the deliberate incorrect names) is admirable.

Long may you (not) like Crossroads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am dram, well I've not seen any episodes like that, and its funny how many of the actors go onto other roles, so if they were that am dram the Crossroads Motel would be where they stayed.

As for Jane Rossington's TV work, well IMDB has missed off quite a bit, including an ITV drama, and Dramarama for CITV.

I think, as I said before for it to have still one of the biggest soap fan clubs - and others like Brookside don't, it says a lot.

People just liked good stories, good characters and a family show that wasn't particularly offensive, but it was good fun and it didn't, unlike Corrie take itself seriously.

Maybe people wanted it to be serious, but that just wouldn't be soap - in the true sense of the word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, The last episode in 1988 being the only full episode I had ever watched

Says it all really, more than I could ever add.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MikeGne wrote:
    Says it all really, more than I could ever add.

Selective quoting: if you bothered to read the whole of my reply, you'd see that I have since 1988 watched dozens of bloody episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really. Sounds more like Corrie to me.

And seen as ratings were classed as so important I checked that most second episodes of Corrie had less viewers than at least two episodes of Crossroads, so stick that in the am dram.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake booth wrote:
    Well you are entitled to your opinion I suppose but there really is no need to be so vitriolic with it. We can all quote statistics and as many are aware statistics can be quoted to suit whichever argument, they actually don't mean that much, but facts are harder to juggle.
    Crossroads was a huge ratings grabber for ITV without any doubt and also Crossroads had the same technical problems with its production, as did many programmes at that time which I believe includes Corrie.
    Your comments about Jane and Noele were deplorable to be honest and not that worthy of a response, but if you are right then why did they last so long?
    If they are as bad as you say they were then surely they would have been sacked?
    Lets be honest Crossroads provided many comedians with all the material they could ever want,and many did go on to launch huge careers on the back of Crossroads so called failures.
    That said material though, could never have been useful if the programme was a failure and was, as such used by the comedians because of the programmes huge success and ratings. I'm sorry but the facts speak for themselves and also I might add your attempts to dis the programme are nothing new because every Crossroads fan the world over has heard them all before and we are actually quite used to the programme being slagged off, usually by people who never even bothered to watch it!

Well its like that old thing, you have to know the contents of the joke to get the joke. And so its an admittance that yes, it had issues - seen more I guess because it was seen more than any other programme in a week (apart from news) so I guess people may remember it more than others, I dunno. But its still known, I guess the same can't be said for those many acclaimed shows that have been long forgotten.