Options

Sky Arts

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
Forum Member
Anyone else here think Sky Arts 1 is a pretty good channel? I never really paid much attention to it before, but is has some really decent programmes.

Past couple of days I've been watching Artland USA, which is a bit like that Stephen Fry show on BBC 1... What the Dickens, which is a surprisingly funny panel comedy show with Sandi Toksvig and Sue Perkins... and Tim Marlow's art show, which I think used to be on Channel 5.

There's lots of quality music documentaries on too, and no adverts and no DOGs!

It surprises me that this channel is buried all the way up in the 200s on the EPG. It would make more sense, and probably get many more viewers, if it was next to BBC 4. Are Sky ashamed of having high-brow programming or something?

Comments

• Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    It's up in the 200's because it comes under "Style and Culture" rather than general entertainment, but yeah it's a good channel, some of the archive concerts look amazing in HD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I have only recently been able to access this channel since it came to Virgin Media and I have to agree with you that it is a really good channel. What The Dickens and The Book Show are a regular watch for me now. I also love the fact that there are no DOGs or adverts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another What the Dickens fan.

I love Sandy Togsvik (sp?). If she ever turned straight, I would be in there like a shot. I would even learn how to spell her name!

Excess Baggage on Radio 4 is my Saturday morning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to record the Bob Hope, Frances Langford film re Troop entertainment in WW2 last weekend on Arts 1 but did Arts 2 by mistake , I got an excellent film about Jazz instead! Two great channels though.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    senna123 wrote: »
    I have only recently been able to access this channel since it came to Virgin Media and I have to agree with you that it is a really good channel. What The Dickens and The Book Show are a regular watch for me now. I also love the fact that there are no DOGs or adverts.

They might also be shown eventually on the free-to-air Sky 3 channel in due course so that could be something to look forward to. Some of Sky's arts programming has appeared on that channel in the past.
  • Options
    woodysdadwoodysdad Posts: 2,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant channels...both pop and classical...some gems in there!:D
  • Options
    Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Bump :)

Sky Arts is amazing. They're the only Sky channels with a unique identity. I love The Book Show and I discovered the brilliant Tales of the Unexpected through Sky Arts.

Sky Arts is one of the main reasons I upgraded to the XL package on Virgin Media.
  • Options
    klytamnestraklytamnestra Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the reruns of Tales of the Unexpected are a real nostalgic treat!
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, typical Sky. Point a camera at existing concerts & exhibitions, do some cheap panel shows with actors presenting, and add Saturday Night Live. Art?

The BBC invests money in UK arts. Not Sky!

How about them supporting UK films? A symphony Orchestra?
  • Options
    ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Yeah, typical Sky. Point a camera at existing concerts & exhibitions, do some cheap panel shows with actors presenting, and add Saturday Night Live. Art?

Okay then:
    Film: Tube Tales and Neverland

Symphony Orchestra: Would the ENO be ok for you? As well as the English National Ballet?

Pppft :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »

Since Sky will have to pay to broadcast these, they are making a contribution.

Coupled with the fact that seeing these on TV may encourage viewers to attend in person therefore putting more money in the pockets of the organisations concerned.
  • Options
    lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky has also invested in original theatre/drama productions for Sky Arts, such as the season of shorts they did at Christmas and the Chekov comedies.

Stagestruck is also an interesting take on the talent show genre.

And I have enjoyed things like Songbook.

Sky Arts 1 and 2 are both great channels IMO.

And who cares if some of their output is "Pointing a camera at existing concerts & exhibitions"? They are still great concerts, not being shown elsewhere.

And what exactly is the BBC's coverage of Glastonbury other than "pointing a camera at an existing concerts"
  • Options
    RadioQuietRadioQuiet Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Sky Arts shows some pretty good archive (and newer) live shows. There's very few channels, if any, showing good quality live rock concerts on a regular basis. They could do with adding a few more concerts and some archive music TV shows (eg- Beat Club) to stop the same shows cropping up too often.
  • Options
    BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the music docs and concerts on Sky Arts, the Jean-Michel Jarre one recently was very good. And the programmes don't have any DOGs or breaks, so what's to complain about! It's in the Variey Mix now too, so more people have access to it than before
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes the reruns of Tales of the Unexpected are a real nostalgic treat!

They used to be on ITV 3 a couple of years back, so Sky must have brought the rights to them.