Updating a driving license photo

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, I'm asking on behalf of my boyfriend and because the Directgov website is less than clear! He's had his driving license since he was 17 and in the 4/5 years since then he's grown his hair and started wearing glasses permanently - the photo couldn't look any more different really, he just looks like your average skinny teenager in it :p He's been refused sale of alcohol in the supermarket because the cashier didn't believe he was the same person when he showed it as ID.

As I said, I've looked at the page on the Directgov site and it just seems to say that the photos are valid for 10 years, and then you're sent a form to provide a new one. The only other option is 'If for any reason you haven't received your form...' which makes me think that there's no way to simply update the photo before he's had it for a decade. Is this true? It seems a bit strange :confused: If not then how on earth do you go about it? :p

Comments

• kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Ive just moved and so had to update my licence my photo had expired and so they asked me if I wanted them to use my passport one . I thought that pretty cool , also my passport photo is great but my licence one was minging :D

I know it didn't answer your question, but cant you ring them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why I didn't think of that :o I think I've found the DVLA number, I'll get him to call them. I'm wondering if maybe that one cashier was just being petty, we've been back since then to buy drinks and not been challenged :confused:
  • kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    I don't know why I didn't think of that :o I think I've found the DVLA number, I'll get him to call them. I'm wondering if maybe that one cashier was just being petty, we've been back since then to buy drinks and not been challenged :confused:

You do get some jobsworth silly buggers ,