Options

In Time

ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My two pennethworth.

As an admirer of Andrew Niccol's previous films, either as writer / director (Truman Show, Gattaca, S1mone), thought i'd see this.

Based on a futuristic concept where your DNA is programmed to terminate your life on a one-year countdown past your 25th birthday, time is the only currency; utilities, services, goods...all bought with time. The more successful you are / harder you work, the longer you'll live. Therefore, all adults in the movie are stuck around the 25 looking age-range. If you want to live longer, you'll do anything to earn extra 'life'...shown as a countdown timer on the forearm.

It's an interesting enough sci-fi concept, married to an action movie sensibility, and just about works due mainly to a decent performance (for an action flick anyway) by Mr Timberlake. If you don't think too hard about it, the movie is enjoyable enough before it too, starts to outstay its welcome. I found it a bit sketchy, in terms of characters and motives; we could have dispensed with low-level hoods 'The Minutemen' who only served to distract from the 'Timekeepers' (Cillian Murphy and co), and then we have Amanda Seyfried's mysterious tycoon father, who hints at being evil, but that doesn't quite go anywhere.

In terms of visual style, the film has slight echoes of The Island, as well as Gattaca, occasionally cold and sterile with futuristic tweaks to modern day objects, vehicles etc. The central concept and JT's mission to shake up the order of things, got lost along the way as Timberlake and Seyfried's characters became an effective modern day Bonnie & Clyde, with a bit of Robin Hood thrown in. This aspect worked less well than others in the film.

I'd rather have seen the lush Olivia Wilde with a bit more screen time, and much less to and fro-ing between Timekeeper / Minutemen shenanigans, which did get a bit wearisome. I was surprised that there wasn't more effort to explore the impacts of nearest & dearest clocking off early, but guess this would have made it a tad bit morbid.

It's a decent enough sci-fi movie, with occasional bursts of action (how Timberlake became quite such a fighting machine is left unanswered...), and doesn't do JT's quest to become leading man status any harm. Though it doesn't hit Truman Show heights, 'In Time' warrants a watch in a lean weak for film releases.

Rating - 7/10.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the review. I am certainly looking forward to seeing this film. I must admit, Justin Timberlake is a fantastic artist and performer and is an equally awesome actor in my opinion. Loved him in Alpha Dog!!
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I was really looking forward to watching In Time but left the cinema today disappointed after watching it.Its an ok film but I just thought it failed to live up to potential especially with the good cast it had in it.I agree it's a 7 out 10 film but it could have been so much better!
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it but there were too many plot holes
  • Options
    TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched it expecting something good as i love these sort of films , it was a massive letdown in everyway , the acting was woeful basically the whole film is huge steaming pile of turd and totally forgetful.

7 out of 10 ? some of you are easily pleased i'ld give it a very generous 4.

This film could and should of been so much better , shame.
  • Options
    AcornatiAcornati Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it while watching it, but afterwards I just kept thinking about all the plot holes, and bits that didn't make much sense. It wasn't as terrible as I'd feared it might be from reading reviews!
  • Options
    TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't read any reviews on it , if it was getting good reviews il'd think i was going a bit mad as it is the poorest film ive seen for quite some time , it reminded me of a tacky straight to tv film in some ways.

None of it made any sense tbh.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this film and couldn't see any plot holes
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    More comment here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this yesterday and enjoyed it but am a little confused about something
    at the start of the film, there is a young child who asks JT for a minute but he gives her 5. There was also another young girl at the end wanting time. Now I don't know if I understood it wrong but how I understood it was that your timer starts when you turn 25. Unless the children were saving up their 'time' why would they need it now when they werent yet 25?

Also
    Before his mum got on the bus, I'm sure she got credited 2 days but the next thing you hear is that she only has 1hr 30 left. Found it a little weird that she looked barely older than him!

I had to laugh whilst in the toilets after the film when two young girls were discussing how amanda seyfried's hair and make up managed to stay so perfect after all the running about and not being able to shower :rolleyes: they also wondered whether she was wearing a wig...
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this yesterday and enjoyed it but am a little confused about something
    at the start of the film, there is a young child who asks JT for a minute but he gives her 5. There was also another young girl at the end wanting time. Now I don't know if I understood it wrong but how I understood it was that your timer starts when you turn 25. Unless the children were saving up their 'time' why would they need it now when they werent yet 25?

Also
    Before his mum got on the bus, I'm sure she got credited 2 days but the next thing you hear is that she only has 1hr 30 left. Found it a little weird that she looked barely older than him!

I had to laugh whilst in the toilets after the film when two young girls were discussing how amanda seyfried's hair and make up managed to stay so perfect after all the running about and not being able to shower :rolleyes: they also wondered whether she was wearing a wig...
    His mum give him half hour for his lunch and then paid off a loan - what annoyed me was why didnt see take the bus some of the way instead of trying to run for two hours