Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Just reading reports that two of the men travelling on stolen passports are said to be iranian nationals who wanted to migrate to europe.

seems slightly less sinister than 'terrorists' doesn't it ?

That rules out one of the two people travelling on stolen passengers.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    That rules out one of the two people travelling on stolen passengers.

two of the people travelling on stolen passports ..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    If the plane that went down over Lockerbie had exploded over the Atlantic as intended I expect it could be a similar mystery.

Really, is this true? Why? Wasn't some of the Lockerbie wreckage quite big, would it not have floated?

Fascinated by this apparently tragic mystery. If the plane had crashed whole from the sky, the pilot could have sent a mayday. If it had been hijacked, the pilot could have alerted people on the ground. If it exploded mid air I would have thought debris would have been found by now. And in any case, the black box would be emitting a signal.

As others have said, I expect it to eventually be something quite mundane (but nonetheless tragic) - maybe the pilot lost communication due to a fault and flew on for a bit, or turned back, and perhaps the searches are taking place in the wrong area. Or perhaps it has been blown to smithereens and that's why nobody can find it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stunty wrote: »
    Watching the news conference, they really haven't a clue as to what has happened to this plane.

Is it possible for a plane to go into 'stealth' mode which cannot be detected on the radar?

I heard one reporter yesterday saying there were many islands in that area and the plane could have landed on one of them!! As much as that would be an ideal outcome with the plane found and the passengers safe, an aircraft that big needs a long landing runway and how does anyone try to hide a plane that big?

That has to be ruled out, It's not just about hiding an aeroplane they would have to take every body's mobile phones off them and have a place big enough to hide all the passengers and a bit pointless without a ransom demand or at least claiming responsibility.
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice there have been lots of reports saying that if the plane is below 20,000 feet it won't appear on the radar.

What are the chances that a significant technical failure could have led to the plane descending rapidly (at least initially) and knocking out communications?

I genuinely don't know as I don't really know how planes work, but could such an event lead to the plane 'gliding' for a much longer period, but essentially being uncontactable and giving out no signal?

Also, if there was a structural failure at the point the plane vanished, is it not the case that the wreckage would be spread over a wide area, which would seemingly have made it more likely that they could have spotted -something-.

As a nervous flyer I really shouldn't get into these discussions... I
  • Options
    Forum Member
    two of the people travelling on stolen passports ..

They know the other person but are yet to say what his intentions were.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elena wrote: »
    I notice there have been lots of reports saying that if the plane is below 20,000 feet it won't appear on the radar.

What are the chances that a significant technical failure could have led to the plane descending rapidly (at least initially) and knocking out communications?

I genuinely don't know as I don't really know how planes work, but could such an event lead to the plane 'gliding' for a much longer period, but essentially being uncontactable and giving out no signal?

Also, if there was a structural failure at the point the plane vanished, is it not the case that the wreckage would be spread over a wide area, which would seemingly have made it more likely that they could have spotted -something-.

As a nervous flyer I really shouldn't get into these discussions.
    .. I

You've more chance of being killed in an accident on a motorway than on a plane.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reading reports that two of the men travelling on stolen passports are said to be iranian nationals who wanted to migrate to europe.

I've never seen an Iranian man who looks like Mario Balotelli. Maybe they both had Balotelli masks on at the time of checking in
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    I've never seen an Iranian man who looks like Mario Balotelli. Maybe they both had Balotelli masks on at the time of checking in

Airlines don't check passport photographs. The passport wouldn't be seriously looked at until passport control at the arriving country, by which time the migrant would have achieved his aim in arriving as a refugee.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    The plane is back at the airport, but in the past like in The Langoliers.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Parker45 wrote: »
    Airlines don't check passport photographs. The passport wouldn't be seriously looked at until passport control at the arriving country, by which time the migrant would have achieved his aim in arriving as a refugee.

>>>>>

Its understood that it is mandatory in the UK and some other countries for the airline concerned to check the validity of passengers passports and /or travel documents before they board a flight otherwise the airline will risk substantial fines, although it would be unreasonable to afford blame where stolen or illegal documents may be involved.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Not really. Maybe these two are innocent and the terrorists travelled on their own passports?
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The daily mail reports that mobile phones are stil ringing out of the people on board??? And they claim that one was rang on live TV. No other news sites are reporting this so im guessing this is just something they have just made up themselves to get a story.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    Not really. Maybe these two are innocent and the terrorists travelled on their own passports?

This, this and this.

Terrorists are going to blend in - they'll travel on legitimate passports, they'll buy their tickets well in advance, they'll blend in.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc822 wrote: »
    The daily mail reports that mobile phones are stil ringing out of the people on board??? And they claim that one was rang on live TV. No other news sites are reporting this so im guessing this is just something they have just made up themselves to get a story.

this did happen live on chinese television - someone rang the phone of a relative on the plane. I think there's a link to a clip on this thread somewhere
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, this site certainly gets it's fair share of whack jobs when the sun goes down. The only thing that's not been suggested as a cause of this mystery is gay marriage!!

IMO, someone within Malaysian Airlines, Boeing or Rolls Royce knows something and, for whatever reason, can't/won't let the world know what it is.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marc822 wrote: »

It's probably not made up but just shows a lack of understanding of how phones work, especially when they'd be going through all sorts of networks.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, this site certainly gets it's fair share of whack jobs when the sun goes down. The only thing that's not been suggested as a cause of this mystery is gay marriage!!

IMO, someone within Malaysian Airlines, Boeing or Rolls Royce knows something and, for whatever reason, can't/won't let the world know what it is.

Isn't that a whack job theory?
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and that is just as much a 'whack theory' as others!
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perplexing image for a layman from the BBC website: http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73483000/gif/_73483790_china_malaysia_plane3_624.gif

Why is the search area around the last location so tiny compared to the huge search area the other side of land?

Either they know more about its last movements or they're just not looking in the right place :confused:
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    A news conference about fake passports ...... who is on the plane ...... did they have the right picture on their passport ....... passport numbers ....... where they were going ......

Yes, but where is the aircraft? :confused:

Just watching the press conference now. Its all about the passports.

Very strange.
  • Options
    randy toksvigrandy toksvig Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »
    Perplexing image for a layman from the BBC website: http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73483000/gif/_73483790_china_malaysia_plane3_624.gif

Why is the search area around the last location so tiny compared to the huge search area the other side of land?

Either they know more about its last movements or they're just not looking in the right place :confused:

Quite agree - if the only information is the last location then the search area is completely baffling.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

:D - Bless.

One of the men, allegedy.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spkx wrote: »

They will know where the 'right place' is when they find it!

There are dozens of search agencies involved all of which working on last known location and/or a potential location but if, for whatever reason, the plane is not visible or no signal is picked up, then it is a pretty difficult job.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the press conference now. Its all about the passports.

Very strange.

The Interpol conference? Why would it be about anything else? Interpol won't be searching for the plane or be investigating what happened (besides any criminal investigation perhaps).

As soon as I heard one of the names including 'Mohammed' I did suddenly think a lot of people will now be thinking 'case closed' and jumping to their own conclusions.
This discussion has been closed.