Options

Has the 100% increase in Lottery Stake Stopped you Playing?

Comments

• Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only play one line a week on Saturday, which I've done since it started, I carried on playing after the increase, but don't like less money being paid for the smaller prizes, last Saturday 4 balls only paid £28! I realise that was partly due to the number of winners, but it would have paid more before.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Sales are down but revenue is up.
    Camelot don't own the National Lottery. the National Lottery belongs to the country and Camelot have ruined it.
    They have drove millions of people away from buying lottery tickets.
    They should be judged on that, not because they managed to increase revenue slightly by doubling prices. that actually shows how incompetent they are.
    They should never have been given the franchise for another 10 yrs. it was obvious they were ruining the lottery even 5 yrs ago.
    The Government should not allow anyone who runs the lottery to sell any other tickets except the main lottery games.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the odds are now that you will lose twice as much>:(
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I only ever bought a lucky dip once a month or so (when it was still £1). I don't buy any at all now - I occasionally buy a Health Lottery (although I've had shit luck on that as well!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet heaven.... it's 2 quid to play the lottery?

I thought it was the super dooper euro one that was 2 quid.

As you may have realised I've only ever been a now and then player of the lottery.

I used to get a ticket once a month (was all I could afford/justify) when it first started then it started with the during the week draws ( I always missed out on those)then I went to a wee lucky dip whenever...

If I have the urge for a lottery ticket I think from now on I'll try the OTHER lottery at a quid
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to buy £12 worth every week, covering Saturday and Wednesday. When the price doubled there was no way I was spending £24 a week, so now I just buy five lucky dips on Saturday which costs me £10, so I am saving £2 a week on what I used to spend.

The first week I did the lucky dip I won £25, and I thought that this was going to be a regular thing, needless to say, I have not won since.;-)

Do one line a week which would cost you £4, put £8 in a jar, odds on winning hardly affected and nice to find some loose cash around once in while.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to buy a ticket every week when the lottery first started. After a couple of years I stopped. I then started again getting two lucky dips a few years ago and kept it up for about 6 months, then I stopped. I have never won, not even a tenner. I refuse to spend £2 on a lucky dip.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Idiot.

Well that was bizarre.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of. Shortly before the increase my bank messed up all my direct debits, and I didn't bother reinstating the lottery one, but would have if it had still been £1.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one line of numbers and 1 lucky dip. Still play the same after the price hike, and have actually had 2 x £25 wins, prior to the price hike can't remember the last time I won a tenner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only do the euromillions when its over £80m now.

You do realise the higher the prize pot the less chance you have of winning?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you make that out. It's not a raffle. your chances of getting 3 or 6 numbers right are a mathematical fact no matter how many people buy a ticket or how big the prize pool is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    How do you make that out. It's not a raffle. your chances of getting 3 or 6 numbers right are a mathematical fact no matter how many people buy a ticket or how big the prize pool is.

More people play = more chance of more than one person scooping the top prize.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More people play = more chance of more than one person scooping the top prize.
    You are confusing prizes with chances of wining. your chances of getting 3-6 numbers are a mathematical fact. they remain the same no matter how many people buy a ticket.
    Just because the jackpot is 80 mill doesn't mean that they sell 7xmore tickets resulting in 7 times more winners, we saw it a few weeks back 109 mill Jackpot. 1 winner.
    If your looking to get value out of lottery then the best way is to wait for big rollovers. same chance of wining but bigger payout.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    You are confusing prizes with chances of wining. your chances of getting 3-6 numbers are a mathematical fact. they remain the same no matter how many people buy a ticket.
    Just because the jackpot is 80 mill doesn't mean that they sell 7xmore tickets resulting in 7 times more winners, we saw it a few weeks back 109 mill Jackpot. 1 winner.
    If your looking to get value out of lottery then the best way is to wait for big rollovers. same chance of wining but bigger payout.

But surely the more people that play; the greater the odds on someone having the same set of numbers as you?
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I only bought a lucky dip once in a while, but never since it went up to £2

Same here! I think it trapped people who had regular numbers though. I know my brother has used the same numbers for years so he has to keep playing (even though deep down he knows he'll never win) as he just knows he'd cry himself senseless if he stopped and his numbers did come up.

I've switched my occasional lucky dip to the Health Lottery - but my luck is just as bad there - I'm lucky if one number comes up in every ten occasions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely the more people that play; the greater the odds on someone having the same set of numbers as you?

Yes of course but that doesn't mean you have less chance of wining, it means that it could possibly result in more winners sharing the prize pool.
    What would you prefer, 1 winner of a 10 mill jackpot or 2 or 3 winners of a 100 mill jackpot. without doubt the best way to play the lottery is to wait till the jackpot is big, same chance of winning bigger payout.
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should have gone to 1.50 if they needed to increase it. The prize values now turn people away. Whoever did the figures and were promising the weekly jackopt draws would now be back to around 8-9m couldnt be more wrong. Maybe they would be that if everybody still played how they were, but most walked away or cut the number of lines they play down.
    Its ruined.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc822 wrote: »
    It should have gone to 1.50 if they needed to increase it. The prize values now turn people away. Whoever did the figures and were promising the weekly jackopt draws would now be back to around 8-9m couldnt be more wrong. Maybe they would be that if everybody still played how they were, but most walked away or cut the number of lines they play down.
    Its ruined.
    I agree the lottery has been ruined and am sure Camelot know why but their priority is too make as much profit as possible and not the National lottery.
    To be honest i think it's irrelevant how much the prize pool is. when the lottery started millions loved to play. jackpots were high and it only cost £1. now it's down to a few Mill at most and it cost £2 with a lower payout.. Camelot have competed against the lottery itself by selling scratch cards and other lottery draws. that's fine but not at the expense of the National lottery. i would take away the franchise from Camelot and award it to someone else on the understanding they can only sell, National lottery, Euro draw and maybe the Thunderball.
    Camelot would loose the right to sell scratch cards or any lottery draw.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's still rubbish value but it's better than before. I now just have one line twice a week and it's £25 for a 3 number win, a 25% increase.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know of one guy who is convinced the lottery is a massive hoax ...just a way for the government to "placate the masses" and no one ever wins

I love a good conspiracy theory!
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still cheeky. No need to raise it whatsoever. Just greed. Good thing is people have spilled out onto the competition- healthy lottery, or bookie lotteries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    It's still rubbish value but it's better than before. I now just have one line twice a week and it's £25 for a 3 number win, a 25% increase.
    :eek:
  • Options
    richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I used to have a direct debit set up to play 2 lines each week but cancelled it when the price went up.

I buy the odd lucky dip now and again, but not very often.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised Camelot has not reduced the price as they are obviously selling less tickets , the last rollover for a Wed and Sat saw a jackpot of less than it used to be for just a Saturday draw.

Yes it was a £1 for a long time but they should have put the price up gradually over the years not wacked it up as they did as it appears to be backfiring.