Options

Maleficent

Comments

• Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,774
    Forum Member
    Went to see it this afternoon. Thought it was absolutely fantastic. But was I the only one who was expecting the 'true love's kiss' to come from Maleficant's sidekick?
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    Went to see it this afternoon. Thought it was absolutely fantastic. But was I the only one who was expecting the 'true love's kiss' to come from Maleficant's sidekick?

I'm sure that's what they wanted you to think. And were't you surprised who it did come from? [NO SPOILERS!!!]
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,774
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that's what they wanted you to think. And were't you surprised who it did come from? [NO SPOILERS!!!]

I was! It was very well done, I thought.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »

nope, I expected it too - didnt think for one second it would be the Prince I expected it to be Diaval
    or Maleficent although I didnt think Disney would go down the Maleficent being true loves kiss route - pleasantly surprised that they did - I guessed it would be Maleficent about 5 mins before it happened :)
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Zzzzzz

Another "hey the villain wasn't really so bad" revisionist piece of bollocks.

All it does it undermine the original film
  • Options
    Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got to watch this yesterday and I absolutely loved it :) at first I thought I wasn't going to get into it but once it got going it was amazing :D

Angelina Jolie really was fantastic and the few comic scenes with her and Aurora as a baby I did laugh at :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Like Snow White & the huntsman, Charlie & the Choclate factory, Alice in Wonderland, they all had the potential to be dark and brilliant, though I enjoyed them, there's something missing! I guess the Harry Potter movies has raised the bar.
    Angelina was superb but I wish she went off in a darker evil direction!
    As people pointed out, the rest of the cast were miscast! The fairies and sleeping beauty were annoying.
    The Prince was cute! He looked like a very young Liam Payne from his xfactor days! :)
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful.

Disney have just destroyed their very best villain.

From 'Mistress of all Evil' to soppy pathetic baby sitter...
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My all wrote: »
    Like Snow White & the huntsman, Charlie & the Choclate factory, Alice in Wonderland, they all had the potential to be dark and brilliant, though I enjoyed them, there's something missing! I guess the Harry Potter movies has raised the bar.
    As people pointed out, the rest of the cast were miscast! The fairies and sleeping beauty were annoying.
    The Prince was cute! He looked like a very young Liam Payne from his xfactor days! :)

It's quite ironic that the actor who plays him is about 3/4 years older than Liam :D
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I loved it. Camp as tits

However I did find the Lana Del Ray song at the end quite jarring. It just didn't fit with the tone of the movie.
  • Options
    Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it. Camp as tits

However I did find the Lana Del Ray song at the end quite jarring. It just didn't fit with the tone of the movie.

I do have to agree with this. The ending of the movie seemed pretty cheerful, then for it end with Lana's spooky voice on that track :D but I do love the song!
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this at the press screening a few weeks ago and was very disappointed. The CGI is generally great, and Jolie gives a great performance in the first half of the movie, but that's about all there is to say that's positive. I think even Jolie's performance lost much of its power and intensity as the movie dragged on, the occasional flash of brilliance still remaining, but not as good as she was at the start.

The rest was just pretty much poor - Elle Fanning is a pretty girl but her acting isn't going to set the world alight. The three fairies were irritating in the extreme, the price lacked any charisma, the father was over-the-top deranged and Maleficent's sidekick was just a bit of a wet blanket.

The predominant reaction to the true love's kiss in the screening I was in was people sniggering, and personally I just thought it was a completely unnecessary rewrite of an iconic story. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and certainly don't try to make a movie using the established characters of one story and then ignore that story entirely.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My all wrote: »

whist I see what you are saying Maleficent was never going to be "dark" its Disney - Disney dont do dark!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't fathom why people keep describing Maleficent is the best ever villain. Ursula totally is!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    whist I see what you are saying Maleficent was never going to be "dark" its Disney - Disney dont do dark!

Bambi says hi
  • Options
    sjamessjames Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »

What about The Black Cauldron? Something Wicked This Way Comes? The Watcher In The Woods? They're all quite dark!
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    sjames wrote: »
    What about The Black Cauldron? Something Wicked This Way Comes? The Watcher In The Woods? They're all quite dark!
    They're also thirty years ago.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Finally got round to seeing this yesterday and I loved it. The only criticism I have was that the story could have been padded out more and it could have been longer (something I have never said, some movies are far to long these days).
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    $441m worldwide so far. It should hit $200m US and still has the eastern markets to play.

Way to go, Dame Ange :cool:
  • Options
    EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,287
    Forum Member
    I saw this last week. Not what I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I thoroughly enjoyed this, a lot more than I was expecting after the mixed reviews I had read. I thought the acting and cinematography which especially strong, but something about the first part (young Maleficent and Stefan) didn't click, and I didn't enjoy it at all. But it picked up a lot after this, and it turned into a really pleasant film. I think I would have also enjoyed it slightly more if they kicked it up to a 12A, rather than a PG.

I thought, although it might not have fitted exactly, Lana's Once Upon A Dream was wonderful, and i absolutely loved her rendition. The majority of the cinema stayed to listen to it, which I think it homage to what a magnificent rendition it is.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this twice and loved it..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    this is perfect for Angelina role, nice movie thumbs up
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Loved it :D

Did have a small sob at the wings scene :cry:
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    Despite what I am about to say, I thought Angelina Jolie was absolutely fantastic in the title role. Her poise and elegance were spot on and I never doubted her in the role.

That aside, I thought it was hideous, just an awful, awful film. Maleficent having her wings stolen/ him screwing her over was a good motive for her to hate King Stefan, and I thought the film was going to pick up pace from here on in.

Poor Imelda Staunton, normally I think she is fantastic but even she couldn't save the awful trio of fairies. My problem with the film was that it didn't have the b*llocks or the bite that it should have. The three fairies really diluted the film and made it just another Disney flick.

I thought we were going to see how the "mistress of all evil" turned to the dark side. In the original film, Maleficent sentences Auora to death, with the fairies later watering down the curse.

If the writers couldn't find strong enough motivation for Maleficent to want Aurora dead, then they should have canned the film, because that is how wicked a character she is. And Maleficent waking up Aurora was a major problem for me. True love's kiss was supposed to override her curse. I could see it coming a mile off, and the whole "girl power/ anti-princess" worked well in Brave and Frozen, but here it became totally ridiculous. It was no longer a telling of the story from another side, but a re-imaging of the story. I never felt the film was billed as this.

Maleficent sentenced the baby to death. Maleficent spends 16 years trying to track the baby down. Maleficent lures Aurora to the spinning wheel. Maleficent kidnaps the prince to make sure he doesn't break the spell. Maleficent changes into a dragon to make sure the prince doesn't wake the princess.

Maleficent as Aurora's godmother and saviour, who moves with her to the forest to live among the other fairies was an absolute rewrite of the plot.

As I said, my main problem with the film lies with the fact that they couldn't think of a strong enough motivation for Maleficent to really want Aurora dead, thus stopping the rest of the plot in its tracks.