Options

Windows 7 mainstream support to end in Jan 2015

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/07/10/microsoft-windows-7-mainstream-support/?utm_campaign=techtwittersf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Wow, I would have expected at least a few more years considering how long XP was supported.

Security updates will continue until April 2017 when extended support will end.

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    They will get a lot of flak over this and I expect these dates to be extended,
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

They will, especially by business. The company I work for just spent a fortune upgrading from XP to 7 and I am sure they want more than 3 or 4 years of security updates before they have to go through it all again.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I'm not bothered. I've only used Microsoft W7 support a few times for myself, to download extra fonts and enhancements, or bug fixes when I've correctly diagnosed error conditions in the system and tracked the fix down via Technet. Some are legacy fixes so I guess they'll stay.

Having totally disabled Update that's not going to impact on me either (apart from Manual updates to MSE). As long as Microsoft keep the technical database and downloads available I'm happy. I wonder if they'll still update MSE or whether that'll go too? I suppose MSE is regarded as a stand alone program rather than tied to W7.
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the Microsoft OS lifecycle policy, versions of Windows leave Mainstream support 5 years after
    public release, and go into Extended support. XP had support extended due to it's popularity, and there'll
    be plenty of demands for Microsoft to do the same for W7 when it gets close to the end of it's support.
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article states Extended Support will end on 14th January 2020; so there's still life in it yet!
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    The article states Extended Support will end on 14th January 2020; so there's still life in it yet!
    Exactly. XP went out of mainstream support ages ago and look how long that took to finally be declared EoL. Even then you still have 3rd parties doing their best to keep it limping along on life support.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Support to me means fixing the holes in bad OS software.

Of course by abandoning the leaky boat they think they can better profit from Windows 9.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope they do. I really thought they would have kept Windows 7 going until about 2018.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Yep! I predict that Windows 7 will become the XP of the 2010s. People will refuse to upgrade :p I'm not bothered as I only use it for games, but my parents use it as their main OS.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Support to me means fixing the holes in bad OS software.

Of course by abandoning the leaky boat they think they can better profit from Windows 9.

They are supporting it until 2020 hardly abandoning it
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Yep, so there's no need to worry at all as we can see from the official lifecycle factsheet here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle.

There'll be plenty of time to see what Windows 9 and 10 will be like and then change to one of those two operating systems.
  • Options
    Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Amazing. You post a link that have obviously haven't read at all, or have severe difficulty understanding.
    Security updates will continue until April 2017 when extended support will end.

Where does it say that in the link? Nowhere. That's because April 2017 is for Vista. The date for Windows 7 is January 2020.

And again, as it says in the link, XP mainstream support was withdrawn way back in April 2009 (a year after SP3).

Nothing more than a scaremongering OP.>:(
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it was about 2020 as well, i seen somewhere it was.
    Plenty of time then.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, so extended support, probably the most important type, is going to last until 2020.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Ah, so extended support, probably the most important type, is going to last until 2020.

Yes, I don't think people would be happy if MS ended it earlier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's bad news, As I was about to go backwards and order Win 7.
    I purchased a new PC in Feb. and after using Win7 for 5 years I find Win8 nothing short of a headache. My PC is loaded with unwanted Apps. and updates are so large they are filling up the hard-drive, the supplier advise that although Win8 has so many security faults they still suggested updates are turned off (Bad advice).
    The moral of this story is..`Keep away from Windows 8` its little less than an Advertising promotional tool for Microsoft
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    I purchased a new PC in Feb. and after using Win7 for 5 years I find Win8 nothing short of a headache. My PC is loaded with unwanted Apps. and updates are so large they are filling up the hard-drive, the supplier advise that although Win8 has so many security faults they still suggested updates are turned off (Bad advice).
    The moral of this story is..`Keep away from Windows 8` its little less than an Advertising promotional tool for Microsoft

Before you go shelling out £££ for a copy of Win 7 Professional (if you can find it), I'd suggest trying out and installing the free Classic Shell first: http://www.classicshell.net/ http://cdn3.taliferguson.com/img/episodes/321/master.jpg

Good luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Before you go shelling out £££ for a copy of Win 7 Professional (if you can find it), I'd suggest trying out and installing the free Classic Shell first: http://www.classicshell.net/ http://cdn3.taliferguson.com/img/episodes/321/master.jpg

Good luck!

Just to add, for Ecckles' benefit, MS persistently try to suck you into setting up an online account and Bing everything, both when installing W8 and when upgrading to 8.1. But you don't need to do either, I finally installed 8.1 the other day and although it's a pain (taking half an hour to download and fully install) they still haven't managed to trick me into creating an online account or binging anything. And Classic Shell still works fine, just like it always did. Still a Metro-free and app-free zone. :cool:

Glad to see the O/P was somewhat up the pole, I knew the dates would be extended but didn't expect it within 24 hours, cheers to Ulysses777! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to add, for Ecckles' benefit, MS persistently try to suck you into setting up an online account and Bing everything, both when installing W8 and when upgrading to 8.1. But you don't need to do either, I finally installed 8.1 the other day and although it's a pain (taking half an hour to download and fully install) they still haven't managed to trick me into creating an online account or binging anything. And Classic Shell still works fine, just like it always did. Still a Metro-free and app-free zone. :cool:

Glad to see the O/P was somewhat up the pole, I knew the dates would be extended but didn't expect it within 24 hours, cheers to Ulysses777! :D

The unfortunate thing is that, underneath the schizo exteriors, the underlying Win 8 OS is a actually improvement on its predecessors. Although l don't have Win 8, l'm not impressed either by the enforced Google-style sign up system that Microsoft's now adopting or the pushing of the ongoing cash cow that is Office 365.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »

Windows 8 is more secure than 7 and if updates are filling up your drive ten it must be a small drive. I knock windows 8 for it GUI, because it is awful, but once you get past that and get a start menu in place, Windows 8 becomes usable and while I do like windows 7 and prefer it to windows 8 mainly in looks, 8 is far superior. There I said it, That will shock some people :).

What unwanted apps is your computer loaded with? The apps on the metro UI can be got rid off and the ones you can#t I doubt takes much space. i got windows 8 on a 120GB ssd, I have also got Vegas video editor and a a load of Adobe stuff, photoshop, and about another 5 of their product and yet I am pretty sure I am just under half full.
    I can not say how much until I boot back into windows.

Sure there are faults with Windows 8, but then thast is the same with all Ms software and other software for that matter.

If you are going back to 7 then that is fine, a mate of mine gone back to 7 as a couple of his games don't seem to work so well on 8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is going to be the norm and if MS modern Ui had taken off then i expect that would have been the only way to get software eventually. My machine did not even bother with a MS account when I installed windows 8, Maybe because my computer is on Wi-fi and windows 8 don't have the drivers for my wi-fi adaptor.
    I installed 8.1 as a clean install, once again it did not like my wi-fi.

i have had no problem with my machine not being linked to MS servers, I am not asked or bugged about it.

I thought it been 2020 for a while.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not surprised, as Dx12 hits around Christmas, with Windows 9 hitting next year as well, so they've got to get more people of 7 somehow, and not doing Dx12 for 7 is a good way to do it.

I knew Dx12 wouldn't come for 7. :p
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Not surprised, as Dx12 hits around Christmas, with Windows 9 hitting next year as well, so they've got to get more people of 7 somehow, and not doing Dx12 for 7 is a good way to do it.

I knew Dx12 wouldn't come for 7. :p

I think back in the XP era people thought about DirectX and which version they were using, but I haven't thought about it for years, and wouldn't have a clue about it on my current machines.

Perhaps it's still a factor for gamers though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I thought it been 2020 for a while.

Me too, I was being ironical! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I think back in the XP era people thought about DirectX and which version they were using, but I haven't thought about it for years, and wouldn't have a clue about it on my current machines.

Perhaps it's still a factor for gamers though?

It is, but i think a lot of gamers are looking at AMD Mantle and see what that can do.