Sneezing in bright sunlight?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've noticed that when I walk into bright sunlight, I suddenly tend to let out a few sneezes for no apparent reason. I'm sure it isn't hayfever, as it happened back in the colder days of winter if the sun was shining as well, and I don't get any other symptoms. My BF said he'd read it was because of the sun itself :confused: Does anyone else get this, or am I going mad? Photons going up the nose maybe? :p

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Here is a link for a slight explanation
  • Sherry TrifleSherry Trifle Posts: 2,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite common - I often wonder how many people are taking antihistamines they don't need for hay fever they haven't got.

It's called Photic sneeze reflex, and often people sneeze repeatedly as soon as they go outside into the sun.

It's an hereditary thing, and is a real pain. I recommend sunglasses and a waterproof mascara. :)
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I do that :(
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else get this, or am I going mad? Photons going up the nose maybe? :p

I used to suffer with this when I was younger, but it seems to have reduced with age. Either that or I wear my sunglasses more. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem, when the sun gets in my eyes I can't see a thing and it makes me sneeze.

Not totally sure if it's related, but I mentioned it to my optician and he said it could be to do with my astigmatism. Might be worth checking out if you haven't had a test recently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aha! I had no idea it was a genetic thing, that's really interesting. Thanks for the links! I'll be testing that theory tomorrow :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    Not totally sure if it's related, but I mentioned it to my optician and he said it could be to do with my astigmatism. Might be worth checking out if you haven't had a test recently.

Hmm, I haven't been for a long while now actually, there could be something in that..my eyes are terrible in any case!