Smooth National Radio Thread

occyoccy Posts: 64,627
Forum Member
✭✭
From 4th October Smooth Radio will be national. Discuss here about the new look station.

Comments

• Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    National to England (and NE Wales) that is. Smooth Glasgow won't get Lynn Parsons or Carlos.
  • philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,176
    Forum Member
    National to England (and NE Wales) that is. Smooth Glasgow won't get Lynn Parsons or Carlos.
    Glasgow can tune in to National Smooth on DAB!

Not checked recently, but what will take the place of Smooth London on MXR Severn Estury?
  • danrichardsdanrichards Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    From 4th October Smooth Radio will be national. Discuss here about the new look station.

...and can we try to steer clear of positive comments being brought down by mention of redundancies every five seconds too?!

A lot of talented and creative people have left GMG over the last few weeks, which is unfortunate, but lets try and keep this to opinions of the new station as if it were created, from scratch, on Monday morning!!
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the new sound of Smooth being marketed?

I haven't seen or heard a sniff of any sort of promotion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glasgow can tune in to National Smooth on DAB!

But still in essence an 'English' national radio station. At least in Central Scotland, listeners can opt-out of the English breakfast and drive shows on FM in the West of Scotland or on the regional Central Scotland DAB mux.

Although I wonder how long before GMG are allowed to axe those two Scottish shows which would leave Real to provide an all Scots station?
    Forum Member

It's not being marketed on air as such, no. The idents and imaging as a whole has changed subtly over the last few months and is moving towards the sound of the new station.

Essentially the musical output of the station won't change a MASSIVE amount, however there's the obvious access to artists that's gained by having 1 central location to broadcast from.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice they replaced the agency that did the album covers!
    Found this
    http://www.gmgradio.com/news/story/smooth-radio-unwinds-in-new-marketing-campaign/131
    The Smooth Radio Network is set to launch its new marketing campaign across the country on Monday 12th October which will encompass 48 sheets and lower bus rears.
    The new creative ‘Unwind’, devised by Smooth Radio’s creative agency Dye Holloway Murray conveys the simple message that listeners ‘Unwind’ when they tune into the Smooth Radio brand.
    The creative shows the effortless way a ribbon unwinds, revealing the names of some of the brands key artists and illustrates the variety of music that Smooth Radio plays from the last five decades and today.
    The outdoor campaign will include lower rears and 48 sheets in the West Midlands, Lower Rears in Glasgow, the East Midlands and North East and 48 sheets in the North West.
    Smooth Radio in London will have 200 taxi super sides across the capital and will continue to focus on its below the line activity with its recent launch of ‘Love Live Music’ - a series of ‘up close and personal’ events with top artists for listeners and Independent readers to attend.
    GMG Radio Chief Executive Stuart Taylor said: “Smooth Radio’s new ‘Unwind’ campaign simply portrays the brand as it is. Our listeners tune into Smooth Radio for many reasons, but central to its appeal is its relaxing and soulful music and a distinctive sound and mood that always brings a welcome change of pace into their lives”.
    Mediacom handled the media buying for the campaign.
    Whats a sheet?
    Notice no TV ads this time!

Would have thought GMG would have used the split Digital One frequencies to have separate programmes in Scotland! Should be feasable!
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    I notice they replaced the agency that did the album covers!
    Found this
    http://www.gmgradio.com/news/story/smooth-radio-unwinds-in-new-marketing-campaign/131

Whats a sheet?
    Notice no TV ads this time!

Would have thought GMG would have used the split Digital One frequencies to have separate programmes in Scotland! Should be feasable!

Sheets are alternative versions of the advertisement - however that's last years ad campaign! This years includes TV ad's, billboards, vehicle sides etc etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation and now notice the date on the release!
    Also notice Honda are sponsoring Carlos on Drive
    http://www.gmgradio.com/news/story/smooth-drive-home-for-honda/152
  • andy.saundersandy.saunders Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deek Webster will be on overnights from Sunday he mentioned earlier.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and can we try to steer clear of positive comments being brought down by mention of redundancies every five seconds too?!

A lot of talented and creative people have left GMG over the last few weeks, which is unfortunate, but lets try and keep this to opinions of the new station as if it were created, from scratch, on Monday morning!!

Very true, this is why I started a new thread. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deek Webster will be on overnights from Sunday he mentioned earlier.

So that's another Smooth NW presenter who's been saved. Clearly the Newcastle networked overnights have been axed too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found the info from March on the new agency but no info on the new ads!
    http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/987995/Euro-RSCG-KLP-appointed-GMG-Radios-Smooth-Radio-account/
    LONDON - GMG Radio has appointed full service marketing and communications agency Euro RSCG KLP to the ad account for the Smooth Radio brand following a pitch against Krow, CST and Hurrell Moseley Dawson & Grimmer.
    The incumbent on the account, Dye Holloway Murray, did not re-pitch. The review was handled by the AAR.

GMG Radio spent £2.2m in the 12 months to the end of December 2009, according to The Nielsen Company, and Smooth Radio accounts for around half of GMG Radio's overall spend.
    KLP will handle above-the-line creative work for the Smooth Radio brand as well as below-the-line and digital, for an initial contract period of two years. The agency will be charged with growing the Smooth Radio listener base across the brand.
    Stuart Taylor, the chief executive of GMG Radio said: "KLP showed an understanding of the target audience and clearly have an affinity with the task in hand. They presented us with a series of engaging solutions demonstrated expertise in all areas of communication
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously Smooth are using London studios. Is the rest of the networked out coming from - Laser House , Salford Quays Manchester?

Just like to see what the weekends are going to sound like.
  • BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats a sheet?

A "48 sheet" is a poster made up of... 48 sheets - a big roadside poster.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would love if Smooth Radio brought back there country show on a Sunday afternoon.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously Smooth are using London studios. Is the rest of the networked out coming from - Laser House , Salford Quays Manchester?

Manchester is the base for the new national station with some output from the soon to be former Smooth London base in Castlereagh Street.

Smooth East Midlands is closing completely with sales coming from Birmingham. Sales for the NE will continue from GMG's Newcastle base and Smooth Glasgow will continue to air breakfast and drive locally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed some of the on air straplines have been updated. I wonder who the females voice is? Is it Carman Squire.
    Forum Member
    Found the info from March on the new agency but no info on the new ads!
    http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/news/987995/Euro-RSCG-KLP-appointed-GMG-Radios-Smooth-Radio-account/

The new ad's are based around the concept of the 'Love Life, Love Music' slogan - finding real people from around the UK who both love Smooth and use it as a soundtrack to something else they're passionate about. They'll use real people rather than models - in a similar way to the Dove ad's using real women not size 0's.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i have had smooth locked in since it came to DAB here in suffolk and have to say im loving it so far and im only in my early 30s.Must admit as another poster said it would be good for a country music show as there is not much country music on the airwaves.Also i am glad they are keeping the overnight shows as i listen a lot overnight guess its wait and see what the weekend schedule is but i like what i hear so far.
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed some of the on air straplines have been updated. I wonder who the females voice is? Is it Carman Squire.

Gina Mellotte is the Smooth station voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i have had smooth locked in since it came to DAB here in suffolk and have to say im loving it so far and im only in my early 30s.Must admit as another poster said it would be good for a country music show as there is not much country music on the airwaves.Also i am glad they are keeping the overnight shows as i listen a lot overnight guess its wait and see what the weekend schedule is but i like what i hear so far.

Can't speak for the other Smooth's, but London had a country show which was axed.
  • ddukdduk Posts: 4,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is this why Tammy Gooding is leaving Smooth Radio drivetime in the West Midlands? I've just been looking over her CV on her website, she has done an awful lot of amazing things over the years. Never knew she was a qualified Hypnotherapist though. http://www.tammygooding.com She's also on facebook too, she was plugging her facebook page tonight.
  • NewsbuffNewsbuff Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May be a silly question that has kind of been answered already but will Carlos be doing his show from Manchester or can he stay in Birmingham?
  • wandsworthwillwandsworthwill Posts: 339
    Forum Member

Pure speculation but are they going to have a bit of a 'soft' launch marketing wise next week and then really start a major advertising campaign when Simon Bates starts on breakfast in the new year ?