Options

Safe House

ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Surprisingly very little on here about the new Denzel Washington film Safe House. Is this being given a wide berth by cinema-goers? If so, it certainly doesn't to be.

Safe House features solid performances from both Washington and Ryan Reynolds, who salvages some credibility after the dismal Green Lantern. If you're after a cracking, break-neck thriller with gritty (Bourne-a-like) realism, Safe House should be on your radar. Although it does tread similar ground to recent films like Salt and Haywire, it's no less deserving of a watch and Denzel is always good value for money. This could have been more of a traditional shoot, but the filmic choice ramps up the realism and definitely adds to the urgency and impact. Multiple car chases and shoot-outs are blisteringly loud and both leads acquit themselves admirably in the numerous physical confrontations.

Yes, there are problems - a slightly obvious plot, Reynolds rapid elevation from a wet behind the ears CIA nanny to some almost super-human field operative, plus a twist you can see a mile off.....but these all work within the conventions of this type of spy thriller.

The supporting cast includes Sam Sheppard, Vera Farmiga and Brendan Gleeson - all seemingly pulling strings from their respective stations, so the film has a pretty heavyweight and decent cast. But it's the action in the film, engaging turns from Reynolds and Washington (varying from mutual respect to hatred...), and location shooting (South Africa) that makes this better than it really ought to be.

The Sunday afternoon showing I attended yesterday had about 20 people in the screen; there's usually far more for a new release and patrons wanting to see a decent film, so it was surprising to see so few really.

Anyway, if you like Bourne-style filming, are a fan of either Denzel or Reynolds, then I would heartily recommend this. Rating - 8/10.

Comments

• Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot watch this due to my hatred of Ryan Reynolds.
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised. He's much better in this, than in the dire Green Lantern.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably watch this when it comes out on DVD but it does sound like Denzil has again been wasted in an average film, which seems to be the trend lately. It might be pretty good in places but I'm looking for another top notch film from the man, its been a while IMO.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Trailer looked stupid, completely ridiculous which has put me off, though I do like Denzel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I saw it yesterday, it's not amazing or anything and certainly not one of Denzel's best (he doesn't really have that much to do), but it was still very watchable and entertaining. Ryan Reynolds was great and a million miles away from his Van Wilder character if that's what is putting some people off seeing the film. The action scenes were really good too, particularly a car chase halfway through the film. I'd give it 8/10.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I really liked it. Denzel is excellent as always, and I don't know why but I found myself rooting for him throughout. Some of the action sequences were similar in their ridiculousness to Salt.

As for Ryan Reynolds, I like him. I just thought his character was a bit of a sap.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Safe House is nothing like Salt and Haywire. The only similarity it has is that all 3 are action movies but apart from that each one is different in its own right. Think Tony Scott style of action and you're 90% there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Safe House is nothing like Salt and Haywire. The only similarity it has is that all 3 are action movies but apart from that each one is different in its own right. Think Tony Scott style of action and you're 90% there.

I liked Salt more than Safe House. I had very high expectations for Safe House but it just wasn't as good as I'd hoped.The lead actors worked well together although the action scenes weren't that great IMO, with the exception of the car chase. I'm not sure I'd watch it again.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Salt more than Safe House. I had very high expectations for Safe House but it just wasn't as good as I'd hoped.The lead actors worked well together although the action scenes weren't that great IMO, with the exception of the car chase. I'm not sure I'd watch it again.

For what it was it's a good action film, the two leads work very well together and it has a brilliant supporting cast but after you've seen it it's instantly forgettable. That's my main negative. I just wish it was better than what we were given. It's still a decent flick though and a step-up for Reynolds after the terrible Green Lantern.

For fans of The Killing there is a superb fight scene between Reynolds and Joel Kinnaman.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this and found the whole film hard to follow. It had the odd action bit bit that was the highlight of the movie.

Expected this to be a great movie but was disappointed. I'd only give it one star of 5.