Options

Are DS posters above or below average IQ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Same here. I would imagine I'd be fairly average.

I think I'd rather not know. That way I wont be disappointed :)
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cross section.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I think I'd rather not know. That way I wont be disappointed :)

:D I don't think having a high IQ makes someone a better person. I'd rather have an average IQ and lots of common sense, than a high IQ and hardly any common sense. Some of the more intelligent people I know are incredibly dim when it comes to the more basic things in life.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D I don't think having a high IQ makes someone a better person. I'd rather have an average IQ and lots of common sense, than a high IQ and hardly any common sense. Some of the more intelligent people I know are incredibly dim when it comes to the more basic things in life.

That is true.

We have many people at work who probably have an above average IQ, but then when it comes to simple things, they seem to fall apart...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Im thick

but noticed a lot of smart a~ses
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who knows, I'd say I'm sort of average, I'm well up to date with certain things but thick as pig swill when it comes to others.

I'm not going o get on that bandwagon and judge other people's knowledge though.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im well smart. :D:p

I'm so thick I single handedly drag the DS average down by 35 points. :o
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS posters generally seem more articulate than most people, but a lot of them also seem to be into reality shows. So it's hard to say.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    AlcudiaBen wrote: »
    Im thick

but noticed a lot of smart a~ses

Me too, but I've also noticed a lot of intelligent people who put up an argument on a thread that makes me go and look for more information on the subject. I've found that being a member of these forums can be a learning curve because the members cover a vast variety of the population with an even more vast knowledge on things that I'll ever be able to possess.

I've learnt loads from GD and I hope I carry on learning loads more, there are experts on the most diverse of subjects who are members here and, sometimes, I feel quite proud of them. They've taught me that you're never too old to learn. That's a good thing, imho.
  • Options
    Abraham-44Abraham-44 Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Aw, don't put yourself down. :( I'm sure you have other qualities.

LOL! Classic example. Nowhere in my previous post did I put myself down, unless, that is, you think I'm a woman, which would clearly denote a low IQ because I have a male name, unless of course, you're a man. You do sound a bit mannish. Don't be offended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Abraham-44 wrote: »
    LOL! Classic example. Nowhere in my previous post did I put myself down, unless, that is, you think I'm a woman, which would clearly denote a low IQ because I have a male name, unless of course, you're a man. You do sound a bit mannish. Don't be offended.
    I was following your example of making a silly, unsubstantiated statement. Did it upset you? Have some chocolate, it will make you ................................ feel better.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member

I agree; I read your post as an attempt to put others down, not yourself.

I would prefer to ascribe what useful 'intelligence' I have to things like reflection and study rather than gender but there you go we are all different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    High IQ doesn't always make a person smarter, It's like warehousing space for the brain, But if it is full of shit that's all that will be dispatched.

For the record I was assessed as child as I have other problems and my IQ was 157, Now it's probably 7. :P

IQ tests are too narrowly focussed to academic studies for practical purposes, and don't follow through as a guide to coping with everyday life for which a broad general commonsense is required.An academic career would suit the higher IQ candidates. There was a tv series in the early 70s called kung Fu where it's character, the teacher lecturing the pupil Grasshopper, says 'Knowledge is NOT wisdom' Chess players seem to need a high IQ to be succesful in playing it but chess is of no practical use outside of itself, it's an artificial intelligence. I think that sums it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was following your example of making a silly, unsubstantiated statement. Did it upset you? Have some chocolate, it will make you ................................ feel better.

Not at all. The Daily Mail makes unsubstantiated statements all the time such as women are less intelligent than men and chocolate fights off cancer etc. I'm surprised you took it personally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I is below coz I is fik.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not at all. The Daily Mail makes unsubstantiated statements all the time such as women are less intelligent than men and chocolate fights off cancer etc. I'm surprised you took it personally.

Whoosh!

I rarely, if ever, take things personally. Never mind, you'll figure me out if you are here long enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whoosh!

I rarely, if ever, take things personally. Never mind, you'll figure me out if you are here long enough.

I know Jane fairly well already, thanks;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Really? Now, that's interesting. ;)

If you do, why did you take me seriously?
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who knows, I'd say I'm sort of average, I'm well up to date with certain things but thick as pig swill when it comes to others.

I'm not going o get on that bandwagon and judge other people's knowledge though.

Yep, that sums me up too!! Haven't had my IQ tested but would like to think I'd make into double figures!
  • Options
    CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BOOOOOOM!

:D
  • Options
    MGBCTVMGBCTV Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    High IQ doesn't always make a person smarter, It's like warehousing space for the brain, But if it is full of shit that's all that will be dispatched.

For the record I was assessed as child as I have other problems and my IQ was 157, Now it's probably 7. :P

What a quote still it is about how you convey yourself people may not always sound articulate when speaking for example but may be better at writing things and vice versa
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHAT'S IQ GOT TO DO WITH ANYTHING. what we need is good old COMmON sense.OOPS. just realised that isn't so common either