Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

Comments

• fudbeerfudbeer Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    great episode last night, and good to see harry smiling at the end!! :D
    i do hope agnes and henri get it together...:D
    not surprising to see victor and lady mae get it on either!! they are a match for each other!
    ellen love as a serious actress??? hmmm i dont think so!!

Me to loved this weeks episode its the best thing I have watched in ages great storyline and many differenf characters I think Jeremy plays the lead roll superbly.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    The truth is that Selfridges did support the Suffragette movement, they did break one of the windows (which were the largest of the time) and didn't prosecute.

Although watching that you'd have never really have known it.

http://melbourneblogger.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/selfridges-suffragettes-and-fashion.html
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i hear a second series has been commissioned..hurrah!!:D:D
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    I've been watching this and enjoying all the characters apart from... Mr Selfridge!!!! Last nights episode was the best for me because it barely featured him! :D I find him to be an awful actor and my eyes are constantly drawn towards his weird hair. I have no real care about what happens to him, but enjoy all the other characters so much hence why I still watch it.

Only Mr Selfridge could "ham up" being unconscious! I was laughing hysterically while the room was spinning. (My other half gave me a strong stare.)
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's been hinted at for a few weeks

Thanks might order the DVD to watch it whole.:)
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    i hear a second series has been commissioned..hurrah!!:D:D

It has been reported that there will be a second series, but it has also been reported that there won't be. :confused::confused::confused:
  • andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    It has been reported that there will be a second series, but it has also been reported that there won't be

Mr Selfridge was officially recommissioned for a second series by ITV last Friday. The confusion may be that on the same day there was a daily mail article that stated the drop in ratings from the first episode (around 9 million viewers for the first episode) and that ITV wanted to see how it would do in the USA (when in airs in March) because the drama was expensive and they needed PBS (USA broadcaster) funding for a second series.

My personal opinion is there may be some truth in that article but the reality is that Mr Selfridge has to start filming in April and therefore a decision had to be made now. In regards to the ratings (around 7.5 million now I believe)- its no way near downton/midwife ratings but not like ITV Titanic's ratings- i.e. the ratings are decent enough for Sunday drama)
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the OH and myself rather enjoy it, we are not really big telly watchers,but it had a good review for the first episode and we liked it a lot; we sit in front of it with a late meal and take it for what it is.

Loved the perpetually worried accountant taking charge; utter tosh but made us smile.

Pevin is a total ham, but we watch more for the minor characters like Agnes Brother, who we were willing to get saved from the dodgy workers and the sales assistant who is jealous of Agnes.

The death of Groves' wife was a bit of a flanker, me and the OH have been debating that Groves would eventually stiff over the department head to save himself, but couldn't work out how or why.

Never watched Downton Abbey or that other shop store drama, so can't compare, but it gives as an hour of entertainment we want to keep watching.

Random factoid, the frontage scenes of the Selfridge House is right next to the Royal Albert Hall.

I was working there last summer and came out to a mess of OB going on, watched a bit of acting going on, thought nothing more.

When the scene came on telly, I was pointing telling the OH "I saw that being filmed!"

"Shusss, I'm not interested":p
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only Mr Selfridge could "ham up" being unconscious! I was laughing hysterically while the room was spinning. (My other half gave me a strong stare.)

Me too!! His face when he was coming round, going all cross-eyed, was unintentionally hilarious. Tempered only by the realisation that he had come round. Was hoping he night stay in the coma for another week or two. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I think a second series is a big mistake. If one decent 'meaty' rival show is aired at the same time, people who have only been half heartedly watching won't return and a chunk of audience has already gone missing. Knowing this show is recommissioned is a golden opportunity for rival broadcasters to feel fairly reassured they can win the slot.
    Forum Member
    I think a second series is a big mistake. If one decent 'meaty' rival show is aired at the same time, people who have only been half heartedly watching won't return and a chunk of audience has already gone missing. Knowing this show is recommissioned is a golden opportunity for rival broadcasters to feel fairly reassured they can win the slot.

I agree and disagree with this. Firstly, approx 7.6 million consolidated viewers is very good for a sunday primetime drama (albeit nowhere near downton/midwife ratings which ITV clearly were hoping for and down from 9 million initially) but still decent enough for ITV to recommission.
    However, ripper street did perform better than expected (6.3 million) simply because it really is not a sunday night drama. It skews 48 female/52 male which normally would perform poorly against traditional sunday drama which skew really high towards women (e.g. selfridge is 68 female/32 male, midwife is 63f/37m). The fact that ripper street, with its gore, violence, nudity, high male skew performs well on a sunday night primetime slot against another primetime drama, I think surprised the BBC.
    You are right, though, that the BBC is almost certain to put a more female friendly period drama up against mr selfridge (many of which they already have or are filming) next time which could weaken selfridge even more next year.
    Forum Member
    i'm hearing that an entourage movie is going to start filming soon- maybe in april/may- is this going to interfere with jeremy piven's schedule for selfridge which is also starting filming in april.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the feeling their setting up George to be split between Doris and Kitty. Doris would be a better fit for him considering her approach to Mrs. Bunting.
  • fudbeerfudbeer Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    weak episode today.
  • bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I think Mr. Groves has his eye on Doris now. Maybe he wants a young wife and kids.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I don't know why but my favourite character is Mr Crabbe. It's the way he acts - he reminds of someone or perhaps a cartoon character...I can't quite put my finger on it.

I also laughed at Pivens overacting on waking up from a coma and going all cross eyed - such a ham!
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Pevin is brilliant,like Willy Wonka on acid ;-)
  • bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I love Crabbe too, especially when he is seen reacting to something Selfridge says.

I knew the mystery man sending chocolates would be the brother. Not much suspense there.

I am feeling sorry for the older lady who stole from the store, lol. Glad someone is being nice to her.
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ferret123 wrote: »
    I don't know why but my favourite character is Mr Crabbe. It's the way he acts - he reminds of someone or perhaps a cartoon character...I can't quite put my finger on it.

I also laughed at Pivens overacting on waking up from a coma and going all cross eyed - such a ham!

Maybe Parker from thunderbirds?

My partner says he played him in the live action film a few years ago.
  • jenailsajenailsa Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Crabbe looks like Kennenth Connor
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    bebecat wrote: »
    I love Crabbe too, especially when he is seen reacting to something Selfridge says.

I knew the mystery man sending chocolates would be the brother. Not much suspense there.

I am feeling sorry for the older lady who stole from the store, lol. Glad someone is being nice to her.

That woman was Gordon Britass' wife wasn't she?
    Tonight's episode didn't hold my interest too much but I wouldn't miss it as I'm enjoying the series.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    mickmars wrote: »
    Pevin is brilliant,like Willy Wonka on acid ;-)
    ...or too much Chocolate.
    Tonight's episode didn't hold my interest too much but I wouldn't miss it as I'm enjoying the series.
    Yes she was.....Pippa Haywood the name.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenailsa wrote: »
    I think Crabbe looks like Kennenth Connor

My OH thinks that too.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,529
    Forum Member
    ppaupy wrote: »
    Maybe Parker from thunderbirds?

My partner says he played him in the live action film a few years ago.

That's who he reminds me of :D
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,529
    Forum Member

Another mystery solved :) I thought I recognised her.