Options

Black & White TV Licence

copiermancopierman Posts: 342
Forum Member
The TV licence authority state there are still people claiming to be watching on Black & White TV sets and not colour. Is this possible after DSO and are they people just fiddling the system to get a cheaper licence?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An old B/W CRT TV can be used with a digi box with either the TV having a scart input (though unlikely) or the digi-box having a RF output. So is quite possible for those still having a B/W licence to be genuine.

But the concept of having a separate B/W licence still in 2014 does seem bizarre.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are 11,550 Black and White licences today. Yes they really should get rid of it.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10929349.Monochrome_magic_as_34_Brighton_and_Hove_residents_still_own_black_and_white_TV/
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its my understanding that in the old days, if you bought a video recorder to go with your black+white tv, u had to pay a colour license fee. the reason being all domestic video recorders were colour capable. u would b recording in colour or buying pre recorded colour tapes even though you would only b viewing them in black+white.

same with digital boxes of all types now. they all receive + decode colour pictures even if you only have a black+white screen. surely then every one should now have a colour license.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    An old B/W CRT TV can be used with a digi box with either the TV having a scart input (though unlikely)

I don't believe there were ever any B&W sets with SCART sockets?, manufacture of B&W sets probably ended well before SCART was introduced.
  • Options
    dragon-itdragon-it Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    I don't believe there were ever any B&W sets with SCART sockets?, manufacture of B&W sets probably ended well before SCART was introduced.

I seem to remember there was a rule at some point about device being power by it's own batteries not needing a license, presumably for those tiny black and white CRT TV's and similary tiny LCD ones - though my 14" Ferguson B&W had 12v power too and got used in the caravan when I was young.

With today's battery technology could probably power a PVR and reasonable screen on battery for quite a while...
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragon-it wrote: »
    I seem to remember there was a rule at some point about device being power by it's own batteries not needing a license, presumably for those tiny black and white CRT TV's and similary tiny LCD ones - though my 14" Ferguson B&W had 12v power too and got used in the caravan when I was young.

With today's battery technology could probably power a PVR and reasonable screen on battery for quite a while...
    If you have a TV Licence for your main home then you do not need a separate licence to use a battery powered TV away from home. However regardless of how it is powered if you use any TV equipment to receive TV programmes as they are broadcast you need a licence.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/second-home-aud8/
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    its my understanding that in the old days, if you bought a video recorder to go with your black+white tv, u had to pay a colour license fee. the reason being all domestic video recorders were colour capable. u would b recording in colour or buying pre recorded colour tapes even though you would only b viewing them in black+white.

same with digital boxes of all types now. they all receive + decode colour pictures even if you only have a black+white screen. surely then every one should now have a colour license.
    This applies no matter what the recording medium, tape, magnetic disk, flash, bubble, optical disc or any other medium. There is no distinction.
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ111/
    I wouold say 'no', because not everyone I know has a recorder for video and there are probably a lot more people I don’t know who do not have one.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dragon-it wrote: »

You need a licence for a PVR or Set-top box anyway - and the licence free conditions for battery powered small TV's was VERY strict and restricted.

Your 14" Ferguson didn't come anywhere close to meeting the requirements, and neither do laptops with a tuner card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    This applies no matter what the recording medium, tape, magnetic disk, flash, bubble, optical disc or any other medium. There is no distinction.
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ111/

I wouold say 'no', because not everyone I know has a recorder for video and there are probably a lot more people I don’t know who do not have one.:D

my point was, that like old video recorders, all todays set top boxes (recorders or non-recorders), + all modern tvs can decode colour broadcasts. even the most basic freeview adaptor decodes colour broadcasts just as old video recorders used to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An old B/W CRT TV can be used with a digi box with either the TV having a scart input (though unlikely) or the digi-box having a RF output. So is quite possible for those still having a B/W licence to be genuine.

But the concept of having a separate B/W licence still in 2014 does seem bizarre.

many modern digi boxes still provide rf output
    regardless even if u still have a black&white screen u still need a colour license due to the set top boxes being able to decode a colour broadcast, even if you cant see the colour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    many modern digi boxes still provide rf output.

regardless even if u still have a black&white screen u still need a colour license due to the set top boxes being able to decode a colour broadcast, even if you cant see the colour.
    That is not correct. As long as you don't have a record facility then a digital box with B&W TV doesn't require a colour licence. If that wasn't the case then no one would be able to have a B&W licence.
    TV licensing FAQ: If you use TV equipment to record television programmes, you need a colour licence even if you only have a black and white television as TV equipment records TV in colour. A black and white licence is valid only if the digital box is not designed to record television programmes.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TV licensing site is very clear. You need a colour licence if you use a PVR, irrespective of whether you only have a black & white TV. If it just a DTT box without a recording facility, you don't.

Edit: duplicate of previous post :)
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe you can still claim to be watching Black and White TV...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    If you have a digital box which can only record in monochrome (due to the software and/or hardware lacking the ability to decode and save the colour component), could you use that with a B&W license?

I know that this hypothetical monochrome PVR is not readily available, but I would hope that if a specially designed model were knocked up, that it would be eligible for the cheaper TV licence. Especially given that the total cost of it would probably far exceed any likely savings on the licence fee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    If you have a digital box which can only record in monochrome (due to the software and/or hardware lacking the ability to decode and save the colour component), could you use that with a B&W license?

No, because you can't record in monochrome because you record the direct digital signal - but it's all a pretty silly discussion anyway.

I don't think there's any doubt?, almost ALL those paying B&W licences should actually be paying for colour ones.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I don't think there's any doubt?, almost ALL those paying B&W licences should actually be paying for colour ones.
    Maybe a sizeable percentage of those who are currently paying a B&W licence fee would pay nothing at all if they were suddenly expected to pay for a colour licence fee, so the BBC have decided that it's better to get some payment from them voluntarily than nothing at all?
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because you can't record in monochrome because you record the direct digital signal - but it's all a pretty silly discussion anyway.

But not all - my Granddad is colour blind so has never seen the benefits of colour television so his old B&W sets are still going strong (with the addition of a couple of digiboxes). Although I think he's old enough for a free licence anyway.

If you think telling the Red Bull and Toro Rosso F1 car's apart is hard, try doing that in Black and White...
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    kev wrote: »
    But not all - my Granddad is colour blind so has never seen the benefits of colour television so his old B&W sets are still going strong (with the addition of a couple of digiboxes).
    I think he is kidding you on.

Colour blind people don't see in black and white. I am extremely colour blind.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is not correct. As long as you don't have a record facility then a digital box with B&W TV doesn't require a colour licence. If that wasn't the case then no one would be able to have a B&W licence.

I say why did they bother saying that about decoders with no PVR only being used with a B&W TV?
    I think it would be much better to say give people on a low income or on benefits a lower priced TV licence and scrap the outdated B&W one!
    I know some might find that an unpopular view, but it seems better idea, as the whole idea for B&W TVs keeping the lower priced licence, was for people that couldnt afford the colour one surely?

Of course the low income thing would need means testing ect, but could probably be done on tax records or something?
    People on benefits would only need to prove they were on benefits ect.
    Also the discount doesnt even need to be as much, it could say be £50 off bringing the licence down to just under £100 P.A. for those people.
  • Options
    JacquicrosslandJacquicrossland Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so daft. I had a black and White TV until about five years ago. It was a 21st present (I'm now 53). Some things just look better in B&W.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    it always struck me as odd that the discount for B&W was bigger than the discount for the blind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so daft. I had a black and White TV until about five years ago. It was a 21st present (I'm now 53). Some things just look better in B&W.
    I guess if you had never changed to a colour TV you wouldn't necessarily feel that you were missing anything. When I watch an old B&W film I forget after a short while that it's not in colour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    ...I know some might find that an unpopular view, but it seems better idea, as the whole idea for B&W TVs keeping the lower priced licence, was for people that couldnt afford the colour one surely?...
    I think originally it was more about charging a premium for colour TV watching. There was some discussion though I recall in the past that intimated that doing away with the B&W licence would effect the pockets of mainly the elderly, so it seems the licencing authorities are happy to let it die a natural death, despite DSO.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need a licence for a PVR or Set-top box anyway

I'm pretty sure that, assuming you don't have a tv, you can feed the audio from a set top box to an amp in order to listen to the radio stations and you don't need a licence to do that.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that, assuming you don't have a tv, you can feed the audio from a set top box to an amp in order to listen to the radio stations and you don't need a licence to do that.

pretty sure you do.