Will future Lumia smartphones be branded Microsoft or Nokia?

Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been googling this and can't seem to quite find a definitive answer: after the Microsoft deal to buy Nokia completes, will the Lumia smartphones be branded Microsoft or Nokia?
Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eventually the Nokia brand on phones will be faded out, although no one is too sure if they will be branded just Microsoft or something else. It'll be a few months or more before any branding change.

I also believe they are going to faze out the lumia branding too.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The deal does not allow Microsoft to use the Nokia brand. They have bought the Lumia and Asha brands however so they are able to use those or change it up if they want to. (They will probably continue to be branded Lumia).

Nokia (NSN) is allowed to make their own phones again from 2015 onwards and there is a good chance they may start making Android phones. There is no guarantee those Nokia phones, if they do come about, will be any good because the whole current phones business of Nokia has been bought by Microsoft.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Nokia (NSN) is allowed to make their own phones again from 2015 onwards and there is a good chance they may start making Android phones. There is no guarantee those Nokia phones, if they do come about, will be any good because the whole current phones business of Nokia has been bought by Microsoft.

You can always recruit/poach talent. I think the Nokia name, along with clever marketing ('We're back' sort of thing) and adopting Android, would probably work pretty well. Nokia still has a strong brand.

Of course, come 2015, the Android platform will have gone through a series of changes - some for good and some not, namely Google wanting to take more control of the platform, but I still think if anyone can get back in the game, it will be Nokia.

Those who might have left Nokia and got an iPhone or Android device, not favouring Windows Phone, will probably have fond memories of Nokia phones - so I think people would give them a fair crack of the whip. That means it's not going to be hard to attract customers - the issue will be giving people something decent to buy.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    You can always recruit/poach talent. I think the Nokia name, along with clever marketing ('We're back' sort of thing) and adopting Android, would probably work pretty well. Nokia still has a strong brand.

Of course, come 2015, the Android platform will have gone through a series of changes - some for good and some not, namely Google wanting to take more control of the platform, but I still think if anyone can get back in the game, it will be Nokia.

Those who might have left Nokia and got an iPhone or Android device, not favouring Windows Phone, will probably have fond memories of Nokia phones - so I think people would give them a fair crack of the whip. That means it's not going to be hard to attract customers - the issue will be giving people something decent to buy.

Microsoft is getting around 25-30,000 employees from Nokia across the range of product R&D, marketing, logistics, sales, manufacturing operations etc etc. Unless there is a mass exodus the moment Lumia is formally under the Microsoft umbrella, Nokia will be producing something with a comparatively skeleton operation. It will end up more like the Jolla operation. More likely to see them invest their money into mobile services like Here. Hardware always ultimately gets commoditised and we're reaching that point with smartphones.
  • RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that Micorosft had only licensed the Nokia name from Nokia for use with the Asha-line (ie the extra low cost, budget phones), they Nokia brand will not be used for the Windows Phone devices.

what wouldn't surprise me is if Lumia becomes the "brand"/Manufacturer (ie replacing "Nokia" for Windows Phone devices from Nokia. Lumia is anyway the recognisable WP brand. And, using the Lumia name might be better than using the MS name.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I think so. I think I read that the other WP manufacturers have about 5% or less of the market in total?

I wonder if the rumours are true that Sony might make a Windows Phone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I think they will keep the Lumia tag, it's well known.
  • Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Nokia is a popular, established brand name with a reputation for quality. Microsoft Mobile sounds like a low budget MVNO.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    Nokia is a popular, established brand name with a reputation for quality. Microsoft Mobile sounds like a low budget MVNO.

Microsoft Mobile is just what the actual division of Microsoft is known as - what MS decide to call the phones we don't know yet.

Will be interesting to see if Nokia themselves bring out any phones next year although I think they are more likely not to now and become more like Ericsson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably just Microsoft Lumia for the smartphones, they have licensed the Nokia brand for the feature phones.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,062
    Forum Member
    RileyM wrote: »
    Given that Micorosft had only licensed the Nokia name from Nokia for use with the Asha-line (ie the extra low cost, budget phones), they Nokia brand will not be used for the Windows Phone devices.

what wouldn't surprise me is if Lumia becomes the "brand"/Manufacturer (ie replacing "Nokia" for Windows Phone devices from Nokia. Lumia is anyway the recognisable WP brand. And, using the Lumia name might be better than using the MS name.

Yeah this is correct as far as I understand it. They do have a license to use the Nokia name but only on Asha phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the upcoming lumia 630 and 930 will likely be the last 2 Nokia branded devices...
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have already established the Surface brand, we can debate how well that has gone, so that may be a possibility.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The entire thing is doomed .

It should be Nokia branded .
    It should be the latest Android version .
    It should have class leading specs .

But it won't .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »

But it won't .
    Are you saying that Microsoft should make Nokia branded Android phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But it won't .

that's a very dumb thing to say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    WebGeek wrote: »
    I think they will keep the Lumia tag, it's well known.

They should stick with the Lumia name since people have already heard about it from previous and existing adverts. It's better to build on that than start from the beginning with a new name unknown to most people besides those who follow tech news.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Are you saying that Microsoft should make Nokia branded Android phones.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that's exactly what I'm saying .

I could see this working with a forked version of Android as in the Nokia X. Of course Microsoft are never going to sell a device running Google services and that is what we want.

Windows Phone is actually not that bad and 8.1 has fixed lots of issues and has delayed my return to Android until the summer. It is a good os for those who are not technically capable, like my sister. It isn't for me but I am pleased I have tried it. I have seen there is space in the market for two good mobile operating systems, Android and Windows Phone. I can't see anyone else catching up for quite some time.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I consider myself technically capable enough, I make a good living on creating rather nontrivial programmes for phones, tablets and PCs. But I don't need an recognition from my phone that I am smart enough to master some overcomplicated UI.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/microsofts-elop-on-nokia-lumia-branding/
    Microsoft's new head of devices, Stephen Elop, says he doesn't see the Nokia brand sticking around when it comes to his smartphones.

"Nokia as a brand will not be used for long going forward for smartphones," Elop said in a Q&A on its Conversations blog (recently rebranded to Microsoft from Nokia). "Work is underway to select the go-forward smartphone brand."

When pressed again, he said he wasn't yet ready to share details of the plan to create a new brand.

"It will not be Nokia Lumia 1020 with Windows Phone on the AT&T LTE network," he said. "Too many words! That somehow doesn't roll off the tongue."
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it won't .
    The 3rd one does not matter, they will always be a range of top and bottom spec.
    And I think the 2nd is 'too open' so there would likely be too much a need to continually innovate/compete to gain repeat business.

I agree they should keep the Nokia brand.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they're complaining a well known, simple, two-syllable name "doesn't roll off the tongue" I wonder what on earth they have in mind... "Microsoft" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue any easier than "Nokia".

On a related note, most of the biggest brands in the world have two syllable names.