Options

Keeping BT number when moving house

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is possible, you could port your number to voip company and either have it ring via your home broadband or divert it to another UK number.
    PM me if you want more in depth details.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    PM sent....anyone else got anything to add to this?

thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also....forgot to ask..............

The house i am moving into is a new build - i am told the phone line will need "activating" which bt may charge for? anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

Nathan
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also....forgot to ask..............

The house i am moving into is a new build - i am told the phone line will need "activating" which bt may charge for? anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

Nathan

Yes. The activation charge is for an Openreach engineer to test the line and connect it.

Remember: BT are a retail company and they will pass the Openreach charge on to you, their customer plus a bit extra. You can get this activation charge a little cheaper if you have your phone line through say, the Post Office or IDNET. It's still over £100 though.

Don't just phone BT because there are many other options available these days. Openreach look after the network and do the charging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    a lot of money then!

Thanks!
  • Options
    Mk VIIMk VII Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    It's possible to have it done on a private circuit as an Out Of Area Line. But it would be expensive - probably too expensive for the convenience of not changing your number.