POLL: How was Catherine Tate?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    much better than i thought.
    they have (for now) dropped the most annyoing aspects of her character.
    i really loved the 1st 15 mins when she was acting on her own trying to get the info she needed i hope we see more of that it was the key failing of martha they started out with own thoughts etc and endedup just being a muppet to the doc.
  • jackulatorjackulator Posts: 7,209
    Forum Member
    Everybodys saying exactly that - she looked older then her mother. In fact she looked older then Cribbins..

that was her younger brother that was :D
  • Andy BAndy B Posts: 15,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good :)
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    Always thought she'd be fine and didn't see anything that changed my mind tonight. Some great scenes especially the miming thing through the windows. Looking forward to what comes next.

In all honesty though, there have been some incredibly shocking assistants throughout Dr Who, rose (no pun intended) tinted spectacles seem to sway some people.

But I was stunned to see Rose, never saw that one coming!
  • MixstarMixstar Posts: 9,290
    Forum Member
    Loved her, lots of character development, not that I had a problem with her in The Runaway Bride! This series will be fun!
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, compare the results in the poll to all the hate and bile that was being spewed out after her casting was announced.

Dervish must be spinning in his grave.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I thought she was fantastic. Yes there was a couple of lines where she overplayed it a bit, but then the script has descended into farce at that point. The first half was where I felt she really showed that she does have decent acting ability. I'm looking forward to seeing her in a darker episode, something more serious and see how she handles that. Once the writers get a grip on the character, and we see Tate get settled into the role, then I think she's gonna get much better.
  • TanequilTanequil Posts: 367,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is very poor the lowest you can vote, she was worse than awful. Only to be matched by the dreadful script, how many times can one use a sonic device and be credible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    very impressed.

loved her:)
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanequil wrote: »
    Is very poor the lowest you can vote, she was worse than awful.

Never give in, never surrender! There are millions of us who feel the same. Er, hundreds of thousands. Um, thousands. Ah, hundreds. Hello, is there anyone out there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackulator wrote: »
    worst. drs assistant. ever.

Fixed that for you.

I take it you were channeling Comic Book Guy? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Polls on episodes within any TV series are not very useful since those who hate the series (and know they hate it) will not be watching. Therefore for most TV series you tend to get a very high AI (audience Appreciation Index) for practically EVERY episode!

Polls for one-off programmes and films are much more valid since you have a cross-section of people. Some will like a film/some will hate it and so on but they don't know that until they've actually watched it.

I would say that the people who really can't stand Catherine Tate simply did'nt watch. I like her as a person but don't find her acting at all convincing in drama. I rated her Poor because at least she tried.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think theyve certainly watered her character down abit, because in the christmas episode she was loud, not too clever.. I thought that shes definetly had abit of a character change. Although that scene with her and the doctor mouthing to each other through the glass was hilarious. I think her character will definetly bring more humour into this series.
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    tommyd1258 wrote: »
    Excellent. Very funny at times, loved the mine scene. I hope she stays on the funny side, without too much of her cringe-worthy sketch characters coming in. Two thumbs up from me!

what was the mine scene?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would say that the people who really can't stand Catherine Tate simply did'nt watch. I like her as a person but don't find her acting at all convincing in drama. I rated her Poor because at least she tried.

That doesn't really wash on this forum, people will watch the show regardless of how much they dislike CT and judge it accordingly.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    anyone other than martha would be good but I always knew CT would be very good.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good, but then so was Martha at first till she turned into Rose-lite. At least Donna should be more likely to tell him to pull his finger out when he gets doomy, which after all the adoration can only be good.
    And please ditch the mother! The most annoying thing about new Who is the famlies being dragged into it far too much. Grandad's okay but please no more shrieking mothers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I thought that she was very poor in it, but I thought Billie Piper was terrible at first so I'll keep watching to see if she improves. I didn't see The Runaway Bride so I don't know how good she was in that.
  • jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    Everybodys saying exactly that - she looked older then her mother. In fact she looked older then Cribbins..

Everybody huh?

:rolleyes:
  • deisegirldeisegirl Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol! I thought she was less annoying than in the Christmas episode but then again in that I knew (or at least thought I knew) that she'd only be around for one episode. Now she's there for a whole series and I'll just have to take one episode at a time.... (voted poor btw)

I'm also not convinced she won't fancy the Doctor :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    That silent conversation scene was just briliant. Loved it. I don't like her comedy show, but in this she is masterful (or should that be mistressful?). The darker hair colouring also suits her.
  • Andyn91Andyn91 Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Excellent!! I loved the new relationship between them and can't remember ever laughing out loud with scenes between DW and Rose or Martha.

I am looking forward to watching a new type of relationship between companion and doctor
  • deisegirldeisegirl Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chet_Dyson wrote: »
    That silent conversation scene was just briliant. Loved it. I don't like her comedy show, but in this she is masterful (or should that be mistressful?). The darker hair colouring also suits her.

Yeah that was funny. I loved the way at the end the others in the room were watching them. :D
  • Andyn91Andyn91 Posts: 39
    Forum Member

Bit of a stupid comment really
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to bear in mind that Catherine Tate is not just a comedian but is a trained actress who has, I believe, appeared in Shakespeare.

I have had a look on Wikipedia and this is what is said.
    After Tate graduated from the Central School of Speech and Drama, she spent a year with the Royal Shakespeare Company.