Xbox 3D as a HD DVD Player?

this isnt really a HDTV thing, but I've just got a samsung HD tv and have the vga cable for my xbox. Just wondering if I play a dvd through it, is the DVD upscaled to HD or not? Would save having to buy a new DVD player if it is!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    No it doesn't upscale to 720p (or 1080i) at the moment, but could potentially in the future (with an upgrade). It currently outputs 576p, which is better than nothing.

Incidentally, I fould that a component connection (rather than VGA) looked much better on my TV with the Xbox 360, so may be worth experimenting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just not upscaled, on VGA it's downscaled to 640 x 480 and resampled at 60Hz!

Use component if you can for DVD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Oh right. I actually only got the VGA cable because I was gonna use it through my PC monitor then got the TV instead!

So upscaling isnt available on either cable then?
    Forum Member
    Nope, but the component cable will look best.
    I have to say that DVD fed through the component cable at 576p looks absolutely stunning through my Bravia.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    MS said they will release an external HD-DVD drive for the 360. (Probly realise they dropped the ball not putting one in as standard). That was the main reason I didn't buy one. No HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray) and no HDMI output.

Saving my money for a PS3, or maybe this version of the 360
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/675/675764p1.html
    Forum Member
    ibizarich wrote:
    Saving my money for a PS3, or maybe this version of the 360
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/675/675764p1.html

That's going to be a long wait for a PS3! Given the demand problems with the Xbox 360, it probably means you won't get a box until early 2007 - nearly a year away.

I'm hoping they will bring a cheap HD-DVD upgrade for the Xbox 360 in about September this year.
    Forum Member
    Bit suprised myself that it wasn't included as standard, specially as there are already a few HD DVD players around at the moment for around £100, not that expensive.

Having spent £480 on the core console and games I dont really want to have to replace it after only a year, hopefully this will be an upgrade rather than having to replace the whole console.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Microsoft have already announced a Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive for movie playback and that will be released in a few months.

I hope that they include onboard software which can dramatically improve 360 DVD playback because quite frankly it's pants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adamwebb wrote:
    Bit suprised myself that it wasn't included as standard, specially as there are already a few HD DVD players around at the moment for around £100, not that expensive.

Having spent £480 on the core console and games I dont really want to have to replace it after only a year, hopefully this will be an upgrade rather than having to replace the whole console.

I think you're confusing an upscaling normal DVD player with a digital connection (sometimes incorrectly called an HD DVD player), and a player of HD-DVD high definition video disks.

Entirely different things. The hyphen is important!

MS could not have included an HD-DVD drive in the 360 as the specs were only finally agreed a few weeks ago, which is why no player is available yet. Also, it would have added significantly to the price of the 360.
    Forum Member
    So the current HD DVD players just upscale normal DVD's? So will the HD-DVD drive for the xbox360 upscale normal DVD's then?
    Forum Member
    It may do - it has not yet been announced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adamwebb wrote:
    So the current HD DVD players just upscale normal DVD's? So will the HD-DVD drive for the xbox360 upscale normal DVD's then?

Any manufacturer describing one of thgese players as an "HD DVD" player should be reported to Trading Standards ASAP. There ain't no such animal (yet). The first HD-DVD player launches ~May in the USA.

There are no details whetsoever on the 360 HD-DVD drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Xbox360 HD-DVD add on (that'll look nice then) isn't expected until the end of this year, just after PS3 - with its built in blu-ray movie playback - is released.

No price and I don't believe MS have said anything about supporting HDMI
    Forum Member
    There has been no formal announcement on the HD-DVD drive as to when it will be available, or whether it will support HDMI. However, to gain advantage over PS3, Microsoft may well launch it before PS3 is released. I also personally expect that it will incorporate HDMI.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    The video connector on the 360 can drive component, VGA, composite, DVI and HDMI connector types.

The 360 does not NEED to have an HDMI connector on it chassis, just the correct custom connector to whatever standard adapter.

As its MS I would also assume DRM and HDCP compliance of that connector and subsequent cables is a given.

I've used my 360 as a DVD player, I'd say it provides a fair picture, but not as good as many budget DVD players IMHO - a lot of edge noise and a bit soft when viewed on my Bravia.

sTeVE
    Forum Member
    Steve, surely the 360 does some kind of DAC conversion before the signal leaves the console? I thought this was the main issue with regards to the addition of the HD-DVD drive??

Sanderton, I fully agree. Confusion central with regards to HD-DVDs and HD DVDs... I think that they should just use the term "Upscaling DVD players" for such models.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Sure - but the 360's connector is capable of more output types (both analogue and digital) AFAIK - its just the current cables that are the limitation...

sTeVE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    DanVitale wrote:
    I hope that they include onboard software which can dramatically improve 360 DVD playback because quite frankly it's pants.

While they're at it they should add support for popular media formats such as DivX and XVID. Ridiculous that a supposedly state-of-the-art machine doesn't support a format supported by some £40 DVD players! Even the original Xbox can play DivX files (though you need a modchip to run the player software).
    Forum Member
    And use the 360 to play illegal video rips? Aint gonna happen!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing stopping you illegally ripping video to WMV!
  • ColjjColjj Posts: 3,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can use your 360 to stream HD content from a media center enabled PC.

It will stream wmv-hd files and .ts files.