Options

Nokia 7110/7110e

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
Forum Member
Yeah yeah... I know these are the same phone but just to stop with the confusion.

Has any one got one of these... My orange contract expires at the end of this month (june) and I would really like to get one but do not want to comit to anything yet!

I just need to know if it is possible to access external sites on the orange network? - I know orange have there own wap services but is it possible to access http://wap.btinternet.com/ for example?

Thanx for the help

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do get a Nokia 7110 try the Carphone Warehouse. I saw a poster in my local store's window yesterday saying that that particular phone is included in the 6 of the best promotion and so if you buy it you get 3 month's FREE Line rental! Quite a good saving! I'm not too sure if it is on Orange though.

I think you can now access all WAP services on Orange now but I'm not too sure. I personally think BT Cellnet is much more commited to WAP services but the prices for WAP calls are much more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah... I have seen that carphone warehouse thing too.... the thing is that I am on orange already and because of my last bills they are going to give me the 7110 for £50 (I can also seel them back my nk702 which they will give me £50 for too so effectively the phone is free!)

So now that I can get the 7110 for free (!) I am staying with orange... cheers james for the info and I am going to go out and pick up my lovely new phone now... hehe

cheers mate!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Postie have you now got your phone?

I am thinking of going ahead and getting one very soon and am thinking of Orange as it's only 5p a minute using WAP (BTCellnet is 10p!) but want to know can you access all of the WAP sites? Or just Orange's?

Is the 7110 a nice phone to use etc? I have had Nokia's in the past and would like to get another Nokia as I love the games! but there is a nice Sony WAP phone coming soon.

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, IMHO = In my humble opinion. And in case you don't know, AFAIK = As Far As I Know.

Secondly, I would really not recommend getting a WAP phone, just yet - In a years time the current versions of WAP Phone's will be outdated, and almost unusable.

But, if you are not really bothered about that - although the Nokia is a good phone, its bug ridden, with nearly 50% of all phones being returned with problems. That is one of the reasons Virgin Mobile are waiting a little longer before they plunge into WAP.

On good authoritity (which actually means what I am about to say is true :D) I have been told that Virgin Mobile is to launch a new range of WAP phones this summer. These will also include the new v.3688.

But what I do know is this, WAP is only at the VERY beginning and in a year or twos time, you will be amazed at what WAP phones will be able to do... And because WAP is not really updatable, so the second a new version of WAP comes out - you will be stuck with your *old* Nokia 7110.

Regards

Patrick
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oooppppsss I did it again....

Messed up that is... read the post below... sorry!

[This message has been edited by Postie (edited 09 June 2000).]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bah! sony.... what good stuff have they ever made.... hehe

Anyway, no mate I have not got my phone yet.. I have played with the nokia at the WAP launch last year in london and only having the chance to play with it for a few minutes it feels very sturdy and a good phone.
    I agree with you my first mobile was a Motorolla Montreal and although that is a good phone it just did not live up to what I needed.. Then I had a nk702 (6130) this phone is excellent very sturdy and strong with an excellent menu system!

Anyway back to the topic - My 12 month ball & chain, sorry "contract" ends at the end of this month and I will tell you when I get the phone if it is any good...

You now can access other WAP sites like http://wap.btinternet.com/ and they work fine. check out http://www.7110.com for a good forum purely for this phone! BTcellnet do offer slightly better tariffs for phones but when it comes to WAP access orange are on top (at the moment).

If you go onto Orange Everyday 50 calls cost 40p minute during the day and then you get 50 mins free calls in the evening and also all day weekends and bank holidays. This may seem steep but like me I only really use the phone to contact the missus she don't finish work till 6:30 in the evening so it is perfect! Also ORANGE allow you to use you 50 free minutes WAP surfing... so if you dont use your 50 mins for talk you can always surf!!!

Also there are some other things... There is nothing stopping you logging onto BT Genie if that is what you want and also if you are using btinternet as your ISP and have the 0800 access you can use this on your mobile too.... yipeee free wap surfing... cool eh?

So there you go.... my little advert for orange! :)

P.S. If anyone does have a 7110 just let me know what you think of it.... also if anyone has a list of where I can get the firmware updated...!

Cheers! - also... what does IMHO mean... cheers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah but they look good! :)

Really getting a new nokia or any other WAP phone at the moment is still a good idea... only if you want to be in the front of the WAP generation.

I agree WAP is still very new and once WML 1.1 is released the current bre+ed of WAP phones (unless the microbowser is upgradeable) will not be able to cope with the new version. WML 1.1 is scheduled for release in the fall of this year according to the wap forum.

Also this thing about Nokia 7110's being full of bugs... yeas there are phones with bugs but then again I know over 20 people (because of my job) that actually have these phones and not one of them has had a problem since upgrading to v4.84.

So basically the bottom line is this.... If you want the newest gadgets and be the first in your office/school/college to get one you will go out and buy the 7110 (or any other WAP phone) If you are the play it safe I will wait until it is close to perfect and be behind the times by a couple of years guy you will wait until Virgin bring out there service...

I know which kind of guy I am!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Postie thanks very much you've been great! I think I will get one this week.

The thing about Virgin is that the phone is much dearer. You can actually get the 7110 on Orange with the Virgin tarrif for over £200 but I change my phone every year anyway. And Virgin uses One2One and they're not the most feature packed network with their WAP services not even launched yet.

It's a good time to get the 7110 now as they are back in stock in most places!

Anyway I'm off to that website that Postie said.

Thanks Postie and Patrick!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a Nokia 7110e today on Orange and am very happy with it! I got the 3 months's free line rental and the Orange sites look very good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    have you managed to access external (non-orange) sites?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have been able to access some external sites including Genie and Excite and many more. The only sites I can't access are BT Internet (This will be fixed soon) & Talk21.

I am very pleased with it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cool mate.. glad you liked it...

Just our of curiosity.... Why can you not access BT internet and who said it will be fixed soon?

Only 11 Days till I get mine.... :oP