The best Doctor who story ever.

13»

Comments

• daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, quite a few of them are better than the new series stories. Genesis of the Daleks, Caves of Androzani, Revelation of the Daleks, Tomb of the Cybermen, The Ark in Space, the Three Doctors... I could go on.

I said this in the Hartnell thread. Would happily sit down and watch some Classic Who than some New Who Stories.

If Classic Who was s**t as has been said, it would really explain why it lasted for 26 years, spawned loads of merchandise and achieved really good ratings during certain parts of it's run.

And 'poorly acted.' is just an insult to the really big names like Julian Glover.Michael Sheard, Philip Madoc and The Doctors themselves. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Classic Who: City of Death
    New Who: The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old who was proper drama dept stuff, with scripts & directors, even though officially a "childrens' show".

nu who is a video game, with some sort of story attached (if you're lucky).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bhobtoo wrote: »
    No argument about it being a good story, but I never really associated the War Chief with the Master. I always considered him to be just another renegade Time Lord, different, but similar to the Master, the Monk and the Rani. Maybe I'm wrong and the writers just hadn't given him his proper title yet, but there seemed to be a different treatment of this guy IMO. It was obvious that the Doctor and the War Chief recognized each other as Time Lords, but not as though they had a history with each other. In the Pertwee years the Master shows up, with the title, and it's understood that they have met many times before, just maybe not in our view. At any rate, he comes on in Terror of the Autons as the Master and is known by that forever afterward, but I don't recall any reference back to the War Games to indicate that this is the same guy.

The Master sold his services to The War Chief, Tardis Technology making the War Games possible .....

(the Tardises used are called Sidrats - tardis backwards - and have dimensional control - inner dimensions easily changed - at the expense of a limited operating life).

This was an "all stops pulled out" glorious final 2nd doctor story, with Troughton giving his very best with lots of "oh my giddy aunt moments" .........

Time Lords were shown at their very best, costumes sorta C of E Vicar, emphasising the religious/ethical aspect (somebody had read their Arthur C Clarke; current nu who mob is ignorant of classic sci fi). After this they got ridiculed, to provide some "witty" stories ......

last time I looked, War Games was complete on youtube, in 10 min chunks .......

..... being in b&w meant you watched the drama, and didn;t bother too much about the cheapish sets .........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked again, it;s still on youtube.

Opening looks more like a movie than tv! Although, the WW1 ambulance - which they use to pass through the different time zones - does eventually start to get irritating ........

Like The Time Meddler, and Carnival of Animals, War Games is successful partly becuase of the "plot within a plot", there's an inner secondary mystery that's only gradually revealed, via a series of self-contained spisodic events ........
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where has it ever been stated that the Master was involved with The War Games?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where has it ever been stated that the Master was involved with The War Games?

In the story itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    In the story itself.

1) the Master is not in The War Games. The character did not appear until two years later.
    2) The War Chief was the renegade Time Lord; he was selling his services to the War Lord.

There is no indication anywhere in the series that the War Chief and the Master are the same man; indeed, the fact that the War Chief dies at the end of the story clearly indicates that they are not. The War Chief eventually returned in one of the novels, which again depicted him as a totally separate character. He is not the Master.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I see what you mean .....

I think it was supposedly the same person. Roger Delgado - who came in with Jon Pertwee - was partly chosen for a "similar" physical appearence ......

Granted he gets dematerialised by the time lords, but the master many times escapes death .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_A4L2n0Vmg

(added) reading the above comemnts, the War Chief was shot, not dematerialised - i forgot - so it does become more plausible .......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Sorry, I see what you mean .....

I think it was supposedly the same person. Roger Delgado - who came in with Jon Pertwee - was partly chosen for a "similar" physical appearence ......
    Where has this ever been stated? As far as I know, Delgado was chosen purely because Barry Letts thought he would make a great villain. It has never, ever, as far as I'm aware, been suggested by anyone connected wiith the show that the Master and the War Chief were the same character, or even that anyone at the BBC even thought about the War Chief after that story. There's also no physical similarity between Delgado and Edward Brayshaw apart from the fact that they both had beards-which in itself was simply a common trait in TV villains at the time.
    Granted he gets dematerialised by the time lords, but the master many times escapes death .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_A4L2n0Vmg
    So did the War Chief, if you accept the novels as canon. But he still wasn't the Master. If you don't accept the novels as canon, there's no indication that the War Chief survived.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where has this ever been stated? As far as I know, Delgado was chosen purely because Barry Letts thought he would make a great villain. It has never, ever, as far as I'm aware, been suggested by anyone connected wiith the show that the Master and the War Chief were the same character, or even that anyone at the BBC even thought about the War Chief after that story. There's also no physical similarity between Delgado and Edward Brayshaw apart from the fact that they both had beards-which in itself was simply a common trait in TV villains at the time.
    So did the War Chief, if you accept the novels as canon. But he still wasn't the Master. If you don't accept the novels as canon, there's no indication that the War Chief survived.

Gotta agree with Tony on this one. The War Chief has been thought of as a forerunner to The Master but he was never the same character and I've never seen any implications on-screen that they actually were. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gotta agree with Tony on this one. The War Chief has been thought of as a forerunner to The Master but he was never the same character and I've never seen any implications on-screen that they actually were. :)

Not on screen, not in the books or audios, not in interviews with Lettts and Dicks or others associated with the Master's creation...the only place I've ever heard this speculated is on forums like this one.
  • John t BaptistJohn t Baptist Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    glad to see City Of Death getting some love - one of my earliest memories was running screaming behind my Mama's sofa when he pulled his face off!!! (i'd of been 3 at the time)
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Genesis Of The Daleks

With honourable mentions for

Robots Of Death

and

Blink
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not on screen, not in the books or audios, not in interviews with Lettts and Dicks or others associated with the Master's creation...the only place I've ever heard this speculated is on forums like this one.

I guess it's case of people assuming that because of the beard etc. It just surprises me no-one has yet mentioned they thought The Master from The Mind Robber was him as well......:D
    glad to see City Of Death getting some love - one of my earliest memories was running screaming behind my Mama's sofa when he pulled his face off!!! (i'd of been 3 at the time)

Same here, that was one seriously scary moment when I was a kid! :eek::eek::eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What does 'I'd of' mean? Do you mean 'Id've', as in 'I'd have'?
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does 'I'd of' mean? Do you mean 'Id've', as in 'I'd have'?

It's quite clear what he meant - why you feel the need to be a complete arse in every thread is beyond me.