Comments

• AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    Deleted.
  • HertzHertz Posts: 3,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotkeys wrote: »
    Hertz, its nothing like sitting infront of a machine watching it play out.

:):)
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bank Holiday

6-10 - Anthony Davis
    10-2pm Paul Phear
    2-6pm Emma B
    6-8pm Gary King
    8- Smooth Sanctary
  • doug italdoug ital Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    yes the numbers are the numbers..

BUT I don't want to be counted as someone who appears to like Garraway..she is truely dreadful..

BUT I do like to listen to the station..

So how can I resolve this?
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    doug ital wrote: »

BUT I don't want to be counted as someone who appears to like Garraway..she is truely dreadful..

Tune in paid for radio app you can record show and skip her voice track 😄
  • BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't listen to It when Kate's on! If enough people do the same she'll be gone.
    Forum Member
    No, that defeats the object

I LIKE the music and we have it on at work. I can't just turn off for a few hours then turn back on..

BUT I hate Garraway soooooooooo much, It really makes me angry that I contribute to any figures associated with this totally piss poor presenter( and I use that term very losely)
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member

If you get a rajar diary don't fill it in for the time Garraway is on.
    Forum Member
    yes

BUT if I don't..

There seems to be NO way to register the fact that you love the music BUT hate the presenter!
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next week Anthony Davis is covering Breakfast for Andrew Castle and Gary King is on Drive on Smooth London.
    Forum Member
    yes

BUT if I don't..

There seems to be NO way to register the fact that you love the music BUT hate the presenter!

Correct. Rajar measures listening to the station as a whole. Stations will do their own research into how popular a presenter is.

The only way a station would know a presenter wasn't popular using rajar is if people don't mark down that they listen and the audience goes down in their timeslot.

If you don't get a diary you will not be counted as a listener at all. You could email them and tell them you hate the presenter.

The thing is you are still listening so the station has done it's job. You listen to the station and advertisers can sell to you and the station can make money from you in the same way that they would if you liked the presenter.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    Correct. Rajar measures listening to the station as a whole. Stations will do their own research into how popular a presenter is.

The only way a station would know a presenter wasn't popular using rajar is if people don't mark down that they listen and the audience goes down in their timeslot.
    Looking at Paul Easton's hourly charts Smooth London still has problem with breakfast?
    Did seem bizarre changing radio professionals like Simon Bates and Lynn Parsons with presenters from TVAM. But guess they are now better known from TV and suit the more music less chat style, but do not have the on air cosyness?.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Next week Anthony Davis is covering Breakfast for Andrew Castle and Gary King is on Drive on Smooth London.

I thought Eamonn was first choice Breakfast cover but then he currently does Saturday breakfast in BBC Radio Kent so maybe he didn't fancy 7 days a week of early starts.
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Looking at Paul Easton's hourly charts Smooth London still has problem with breakfast?
    Did seem bizarre changing radio professionals like Simon Bates and Lynn Parsons with presenters from TVAM. But guess they are now better known from TV and suit the more music less chat style, but do not have the on air cosyness?.

Andrew Castle chats at least after every 2 tracks. The chat levels at breakfast appear no different to when Simon left the difference being Simon was better.
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Bank Holiday

6-10 - Anthony Davis
    10-2pm Paul Phear
    2-6pm Emma B
    6-8pm Gary King
    8- Smooth Sanctary

Hey Amara, something for you to look forward to.
    especially Anthony Davis at breakfast that's enough to put anyone off for life.
    surely that seals it for you to finally switch off.:)
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »

Only heard him once on drive. He's outstanding such a great personality just right to wake me up must remember to tune in.
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    Only heard him once on drive. He's outstanding such a great personality just right to wake me up must remember to tune in.

AntHony is an excellent presenter
    First heard him on Capital Life breakfast then on LBC overnights which he sadly had to step down from due to illness then on Jazz fm where Surprise surprise he more than knew his stuff
    He then returned to LBC to do the 10pm slot where I will be honest he wasn't as good
    Amongst other things a talented voice over artist Royal Variey show announcer and also the voice of the Manchester commonwealth games
    I'm only sorry he's on Snooze fm as he's worth far more than a couple of paragraphs between tracks
    Oh and a very nice man as well 😄
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »

Sorry to disappoint you AL mate but I will be tuning in. Wouldn't miss it for the world. You just can't put a dedicated Snooze fan down.
    Forum Member
    yes you are right station id

I am doomed and very angry that I might be in some way contributing to a false premise that Garraway is anything but a piss poor radio presenter..but it seems there's nothing I can do about it.

I don't think a letter to the station will change anything, somehow.
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to disappoint you AL mate but I will be tuning in. Wouldn't miss it for the world. You just can't put a dedicated Snooze fan down.

I'm glad you will tune in, I look forward to reading your barrage of criticism.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member

I am doomed and very angry that I might be in some way contributing to a false premise that Garraway is anything but a piss poor radio presenter..but it seems there's nothing I can do about it.

I don't think a letter to the station will change anything, somehow.

There are more important things in life to get "very angry" about!

Kate (she has a first name) Garraway may not be to your personal liking but she's contributed to a great set of listening figures for Smooth. That makes her an excellent presenter in my book.
    Forum Member
    Cut6 wrote: »
    There are more important things in life to get "very angry" about!

Kate (she has a first name) Garraway may not be to your personal liking but she's contributed to a great set of listening figures for Smooth. That makes her an excellent presenter in my book.

You should set your standards higher. Just because they have good figures it does not make Kate an excellent presenter. After all after 10am the Smooth presenters add very little to the output. At times they play so many tracks in a row you don't even realise that there is a presenter. It's the music that people appear to tune in for basically the Smooth listener is easily pleased. Reality is sad.
    Forum Member

You are not contributing to a false anything. No one knows that you're listening unless you tell them. if you get a diary you do not have to contribute to anything and you do not have to mark yourself down as a listener. It is your choice to do this if you want and no one will force you.

I'll give you life advice. You have a choice and yes there is something you can do about it.
    Forum Member
    You should set your standards higher. Just because they have good figures it does not make Kate an excellent presenter. After all after 10am the Smooth presenters add very little to the output.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. She has a huge audience so clearly the listeners don't have a problem with her or they would not listen. The job of a radio presenter is to keep the audience and I think If it was me persoannly in your book I'd rather be an average presenter with a huge audience instead of an excellent presenter with a small ausience.

I have made my living from radio in the past and generally bigger audience means more money. I know which I would like.
  • BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sharp increase in audience year on year is an inconvenient truth for those who don't like the new Smooth, and probably a lot of other new things as well.

In addition it must be dismaying to think that if the dramatic increases continue, other networks will cut the waffle too, although it takes skill to squeeze meaning into few words...and Smooth clones might struggle to get the right talent.