Options

Why do you typically get less interested in the chart when you get older?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was once said that for most people what they consider the "best" music ever recorded was produced when they were between 16 - 19, and for most people that is probably true. The huge rise in "nostalgia" radio is ample proof of that.

I've never understood that one myself. The popular music that was around when I was 16 to 19 (1994 to 1997) was dreadful and the stuff I was listening at that age rarely, if ever, graces my turntable these days. I used to listen to Korn back in those days *shudder*.

I consider my musical education to have started at 19 and the stuff I'm mostly into now is stuff I have discovered in the last two years or so.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was once said that for most people what they consider the "best" music ever recorded was produced when they were between 16 - 19, and for most people that is probably true. The huge rise in "nostalgia" radio is ample proof of that.

In saying that, though, I think it is debatable whether the chart music of today will stand the test of time in the same way chart music from the '60s, '70s' and '80s has.

we are in agreement then :)
    I've never understood that one myself. The popular music that was around when I was 16 to 19 (1994 to 1997) was dreadful and the stuff I was listening at that age rarely, if ever, graces my turntable these days. I used to listen to Korn back in those days *shudder*.

I consider my musical education to have started at 19 and the stuff I'm mostly into now is stuff I have discovered in the last two years or so.

i was similar, i was 16-19 in 1973-6, when some of the worst ever chart music was around. i was into my favoured 60's (retrospectively, but still knowing most), and folk as opposed to chart crap.

but tbh i think i/we were exceptions to the general rule glawster cited.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been interested in the charts, but conversely love it when my favourite acts are successful in them.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we are in agreement then :)

In general I think we usually are. :)
    i was similar, i was 16-19 in 1973-6, when some of the worst ever chart music was around. i was into my favoured 60's (retrospectively, but still knowing most), and folk as opposed to chart crap.

but tbh i think i/we were exceptions to the general rule glawster cited.

It was a generalisation but I think for a lot of people it does hold true, although the age limits would vary.

I also never really listened to chart music for similar reasons! :D
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because you realise that chart music isn't the be all and end all, and that a number one single doesn't always means it's a great song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I also never really listened to chart music for similar reasons! :D

ah...but i did listen to chart music, i just didnt like it much nor adopt it as mine when i was 16-19. i did collect 60's, i did collect and like punk era.
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Because you realise that chart music isn't the be all and end all, and that a number one single doesn't always means it's a great song.

true... but for me singles have been the shop window to the bigger sceen, plus im pretty unsophisticated, i likes me 3 minute ditty. i cant be doing with lengthy concept tracks, or 8 minute drum/guitar breaks.

so for me, chart music has been the backdrop to my life, it fixes points in time, it helps retro memories, and is abit of cultural fun!
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think music in general becomes less of a novelty as we get older. Also, as our total knowledge of music increases each year, perhaps it is harder to remember as much new music. Although I like a little current music, I tend to find I look forward to selected oldies shows but could not listen to a top 40 show in full anymore.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In saying that, though, I think it is debatable whether the chart music of today will stand the test of time in the same way chart music from the '60s, '70s' and '80s has.

I was a teen in the 80's & I can assure you I have next to no interest in music from when I was 16-19. Its not an era I have any fondness for musically, it hardly features in my music collection.

Music from when I was in my 20's interests me the most I guess, but that was the Britpop era and was a very creative time for British music, so Im not sure if that was just a co-incidence.
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    these days though you really don't have to be interested in the charts for music if you have youtube you basically have a jukebox of like 99% of every song ever released.

just today I listened to songs from the 70s 90s and today lol I like everything a good song is a good song:)

Even at house party's I go to now its the laptop hooked up to speakers and playing a you tube playlist if anyone wants to hear something you type it in and boom its right there imagine that in the 90s:eek::D if you didt have the song people would look at you in disappointment lol

I did love the whole indie rock thing that was very big in around 04-08 I think
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    When you're young, chart music is something you have in common with other people your age. You compare likes dislikes and argue about who you think is good and who you think is rubbish. As you get older, your taste in music can become more important to your social life - going to gigs or clubs - but gradually it becomes a more personal, more individual thing. You listen to the music you like, not what others like. The charts are what others like, so you no longer care what's in them.

I think that's a pretty good way of putting it.
    As you get older you probably take a bit more time to stop to listen.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    I was a teen in the 80's & I can assure you I have next to no interest in music from when I was 16-19. Its not an era I have any fondness for musically, it hardly features in my music collection.

Music from when I was in my 20's interests me the most I guess, but that was the Britpop era and was a very creative time for British music, so Im not sure if that was just a co-incidence.

I'm in the same boat as you and am probably around the same age as you.
    I thought that 80s music for the most part was atrocious. But then in the early 90s music seemed to drastically improve across several genres.
    Then after around 1998 or 1999 it all went a bit rubbish again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

I never said you did. :confused:

I am 50 and when I talk to friends @ my age I would say, in general, it does apply. however that is in general, of course it doesn't apply to everyone, no such statement would.

Even at my age I enjoy current music as much as I did 30 - 40 years ago, so I could equally argue it doesn't apply to me either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the same boat as you and am probably around the same age as you.
    I thought that 80s music for the most part was atrocious. But then in the early 90s music seemed to drastically improve across several genres.
    Then after around 1998 or 1999 it all went a bit rubbish again.

its all about personal taste though... i liked 80's until 87 when imho it went crap. i didnt like the rock, indie, hip hop or pop sceen.. it wasnt until britpop and old skool dance in the 90's that i started to like it again. for me dance (trance) made the late 90's into the 00's. i liked very much the rock and indie from the early 00's upto 06...

so for you it might have gone rubbish in 98-9, for me it was building and went through another great era. for me, 03 was one of the best years in the last 50, with 89-93 being the worst ever. but those of you who liked grunge would disagree.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I grew out of listening to chart music at about 13, when I realised there was actual music out there.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine mainly kids buy singles, so the charts are going to be full of kids music. It's no surprise people move onto other stuff as they get older.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't followed the charts since I was about 15 or so. When I was 16 my music tastes broadened to songs that were played before I was born. I now I prefer a lot of my music tastes were songs I like before I was born as well as more recent songs.

I found a genre I liked and I've stuck with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    I haven't followed the charts since I was about 15 or so. When I was 16 my music tastes broadened to songs that were played before I was born. I now I prefer a lot of my music tastes were songs I like before I was born as well as more recent songs.

I found a genre I liked and I've stuck with it.

bib.... that appears to be quite common nowdays, in my day it was unheard of. that kinda enforces the notion that todays music is largely unoriginal, generic, and bland .

never thought of it at the time, but i guess my generation were lucky to live through pop musics evolution, when new ideas, original sounds and fashions were fresh. it all seems so contrived nowdays, and im not talking about only chart music. just look at any 'real' group creating 'real' non chart music... the fashions, the album sleeve/tour poster pose and the music itself.... seen it all before....
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    I remember a time when the charts were a topic of conversation. You would chat to your friends and workmates about whats in the charts, stuff you like and stuff you didnt. In the office I worked in we did a top 3 sweepstake every week where a group of us would try and predict the top 3 next week. I couldnt imagine doing that now. I can remember some real talking points. The Jam going straight in at number one in 1980 with Going Underground. I was at college at the time and the following day we were all debating it. Nothing like that had happened for 7 years and most of us had never heard of this record so where did it come from? You wouldnt discuss a new number one like that now. Further on in 1991 there was the weekly discussion on Bryan Adams. Surely he couldnt get to number one again? I cant remember the last time I talked about the charts with anyone. Only just nostalgia wise. Remember The Jam going at number one and Bryan Adams being number one forever? Lol!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated the charts in the late 1970s for good reason - it was crap. The Cure were responsible for most of the singles worth listening to during the last decade, but for the last six or seven years, the stuff that gets into the charts might as well have been produced by androids, with just a few programming changes to make the same synthetic voices sound like different people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I hated the charts in the late 1970s for good reason - it was crap. .

you are very much in the minority on that one... the charts in the late 70's are seen as some of the most diverse and interesting by many.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you are very much in the minority on that one... the charts in the late 70's are seen as some of the most diverse and interesting by many.

I would say a minority of almost one!

I agree, the singles chart in the 1970s were arguably the most diverse in the last 60 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    As you get older, you start caring much less about what other people think of you. Once you're past school age, listening to certain bands to fit in with your peer group is something you normally grow out of.