Options

Katy Perry - 'Prism' [22.10.13]

Comments

• Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Same here like i loved the original Deluxe with it's gatefold pack and Candyfloss scent :p

It just makes everything a little more special
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just makes everything a little more special

It does somehow add to the overall listening experience. My Teenage Dream still smells of candyfloss whenever i open it and its those little touches that she does so well.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    It does somehow add to the overall listening experience. My Teenage Dream still smells of candyfloss whenever i open it and its those little touches that she does so well.

Mine did too but I have the complete confection version now. :)
  • Options
    CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will there be 28 singles from this album too?
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume the album is called PRISM so if you download it (or copy the physical CD to your PC/iphone, etc) it will load the clandestine mass electronic surveillance data mining spyware program of the same name produced by the United States National Security Agency (NSA).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will there be 28 singles from this album too?

You mean 8 spread over 18 months it's not knew i think MJ released all but 1 song from Thriller.

And i only DL the complete confection Mimi as i got it for £1.98 it the complete your album i thought why not :D
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Roar' is being rleased August 12 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Hel36qrFI
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    wow!!! that is promo premium !!! so exciting!!
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Roar' is being rleased August 12 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Hel36qrFI

New Katy Perry and Lady Gaga in the space of a week! Oh my.

Now as much as I loved the Teenage Dream era - I do hope the burning of the wig isn't just a hollow gesture, but the sign of a serious image reinvention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    New Katy Perry and Lady Gaga in the space of a week! Oh my.

Now as much as I loved the Teenage Dream era - I do hope the burning of the wig isn't just a hollow gesture, but the sign of a serious image reinvention.

I doubt it'll be as big a departure from sound as when George burn the infamous leather jacket. But it is increibly exciting and i'm glad she seems intent on progressing rather thna like so many big names delivering the same thing over and over again. Cannot wait #Roar :eek:
  • Options
    Mr. ChipsMr. Chips Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could this be Katy's 'My December' era, like Kelly Clarkson's? Could be an interesting direction to take.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A more mature sound with a single called 'Roar'... I'm not holding out much hope.

Excited nonetheless though.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Chips wrote: »
    Could this be Katy's 'My December' era, like Kelly Clarkson's? Could be an interesting direction to take.

I did say it could be her Rated r which was Rihanna's own My December

I am loving the trailer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTV's not trying to start a flame war at all - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151518277791701&set=a.75020081700.87864.7245371700&type=1&theater

It's going to be a crazy few months. Apopcalypse indeed, bloodbaths be coming...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't know why people are pitting Gaga and Katy against one another. Two completel seprate artists with different fanbases. If anything Katy is on stronger ground comming from TD than Gaga is off BTW. All Katy needs is for Raor to be a hit with great impact and slight longevity before the album. Gaga on the othe rhand needs an explosive single to kick start the campaig and gain peoples interest again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know why people are pitting Gaga and Katy against one another. Two completel seprate artists with different fanbases. If anything Katy is on stronger ground comming from TD than Gaga is off BTW. All Katy needs is for Raor to be a hit with great impact and slight longevity before the album. Gaga on the othe rhand needs an explosive single to kick start the campaig and gain peoples interest again.

We shall see. We shall see.

Both I think will top the Billboard chart, not on their first weeks as both are releasing on Mondays and the US sales week ends on a Wednesday, but both are likely to get to #1 at some point in my opinion (especially with Gaga releasing the video for Applause straight away - I think 37.5 US views equals one sale). Now what happens after that is up to who has the better song.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i'm not so sure. katy had 6 top 3 hits from the last original album in the us, that is a ridiculous feat to top or maintain. if she fails to get to #1 with this lead single, people will obviously compare that to her previous campaign. of course, gaga perhaps has the bigger task following on from her last album and its more crucial that she gets this right, but i don't envy either of them to be honest.

its interesting that they're going head to head with the singles, gaga will no doubt come flying out of the gate initially, but who will have the bigger hit?:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk's quite right - after scoring 6 #1 singles with Teenage Dream, anything less for Prism will be latched onto and seen as a failure. That's an incredibly hard task for her achieve and match again this time around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the promo video was great. It seems like those rumours of a darker sound were right. I think it's going to be very interesting with Katy and Gaga releasing just one week apart. They both have quite high expectations to meet so hopefully they'll give it their all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk's quite right - after scoring 6 #1 singles with Teenage Dream, anything less for Prism will be latched onto and seen as a failure.

i wouldn't go that far, but if you're going to include the re-release that would 8 top 3 us hits from the last project.:eek: i doubt she can top that, because its almost unprecedented and last female to even come close was janet jackson with 4 us #1 hits from "rhythm nation". "janet" delivered just 2 us #1 in comparison, but her international profile soared with that album and no one considered her a flop. internationally, katy's star may rise further with this record and she could be in for her biggest success yet, but she really has set the bar high in terms of the success of her singles domestically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i wouldn't go that far, but if you're going to include the re-release that would 8 top 3 us hits from the last project.:eek: i doubt she can top that, because its almost unprecedented and last female to even come close was janet jackson with 4 us #1 hits from "rhythm nation". "janet" delivered just 2 us #1 in comparison, but her international profile soared with that album and no one considered her a flop. internationally, katy's star may rise further with this record and she could be in for her biggest success yet, but she really has set the bar high in terms of the success of her singles domestically.

And not just domestically either. She may not have the global sting of number ones - but in the UK for example all eight of her singles sold 300,000+ copes (with four, nearly five, selling 500,000+) - and it's a similar story across the globe. And your right that is an incredibly difficult feat to archive for a second time; and if she doesn't achieve similar success again, her detractors (and other fanbases) will latch on to it as something to beat her with (she's fading, underperforming etc).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And not just domestically either. She may not have the global sting of number ones - but in the UK for example all eight of her singles sold 300,000+ copes (with four, nearly five, selling 500,000+) - and it's a similar story across the globe. And your right that is an incredibly difficult feat to archive for a second time; and if she doesn't achieve similar success again, her detractors (and other fanbases) will latch on to it as something to beat her with (she's fading, underperforming etc).

it is possible though that now she has established herself as more of singles shifting artist, that her next album itself could shift better and quicker. i know i only bought "teenage dream" after the forth single and i couldn't resist it really, due to all those hits.:o katy still has room for improvement in terms of album sales and perhaps that will be her focus this time around.

it really depends on the strength on the material and how it is promoted as to whether she continue her successes with her singles. she nailed it last time with the videos especially, so i would imagine the visuals will still be important for this campaign. as for the detractors or other fan bases, well that is inevitable really, isn't it? she did however set that bar that high and its going to be difficult for her or anyone else that rise to that challenge.;)
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member

Katy has incredible success in Europe too. I read on the Internet that she's only big in the US, but I don't know where people get that from. Hot N Cold was the 2nd biggest song of 2009 in Europe according to Billboard, and I Kissed a Girl was in the 10 biggest songs of 2008 in Europe. And she continued this success with the Teenage Dream album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Katy has incredible success in Europe too. I read on the Internet that she's only big in the US, but I don't know where people get that from. Hot N Cold was the 2nd biggest song of 2009 in Europe according to Billboard, and I Kissed a Girl was in the 10 biggest songs of 2008 in Europe. And she continued this success with the Teenage Dream album.

people are possibly talking from a statistic point of view, like i obviously was. no-one can deny from a chart placing prospective, her biggest successes have been in the us and canada. if we are to compare her to gaga, which people have done for obvious reasons, "born this way" leaded her last album and peaked at #1 in over 25 countries. while "california gurls" topped the charts in considerably less territories, so there is clearly still ground for katy to break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    people are possibly talking from a statistic point of view, like i obviously was. no-one can deny from a chart placing prospective, her biggest successes have been in the us and canada. if we are to compare her to gaga, which people have done for obvious reasons, "born this way" leaded her last album and peaked at #1 in over 25 countries. while "california gurls" topped the charts in considerably less territories, so there is clearly still ground for katy to break.

I think though that is to her advantage. She has yet to peak and still ahs milestones to achieve with interest ever increasing. Gaga has done loads and there remains to be little left with interest on the whole waning. So from astarting off stand point Katy is ina better position in all things considered. Though Gaga will definitely have a first great couple of weeks :)

Also to anyone interested Teenage Dream actally outsold Born This Way in the UK even without the re-release :p