The US has the worst chocolate in the World

Comments

• Options
    Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadburys smells reminiscent of shit.
    I still eat it, I've been conditioned.
    My favourite is Milka Bar, the light purple one.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    The Cadbury I just ate had Birmingham on it...

Is Birmingham not in England anymore?
    Alabama!! :D
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    The palm oil was added in 2009. Kraft took over in 2010. The move to Poland was also planned before the Kraft takeover, and as sweh just pointed out, her chocolate came from Birmingham. Kraft is only a parent company. Cadbury still makes the chocolate. Just like Milka still makes Milka chocolate and Kenco still makes Kenco coffee, et al, etc...

AFAIK the chocolate is made in Poland, it is distributed via the U.K head office in Birmingham so is not a U.K product. There is a marked difference between the dairy milk made in Ireland and the same made in Poland though I have only been able to find the Irish chocolate in Lidls stores.
  • Options
    noelfirlnoelfirl Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    AFAIK the chocolate is made in Poland, it is distributed via the U.K head office in Birmingham so is not a U.K product. There is a marked difference between the dairy milk made in Ireland and the same made in Poland though I have only been able to find the Irish chocolate in Lidls stores.

Cadbury here in Dublin apparently make some proportion of Dairy Milk, and all Wispas and Twirls, among others products, according to a process engineer friend who did a stint there.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    what`re you saying man????

[highlight]REESE`S PEANUT CUPS.[/highlight] ffs.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh ok. So it's Polish chocolate then? Have you heard of this place? http://www.cadbury.co.uk/the-story/chocolate-centre-of-excellence-opens-in-bournville

So, is Mars American chocolate or British chocolate?
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what`re you saying man????

[highlight]REESE`S PEANUT CUPS.[/highlight] ffs.
    YUM :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ok. So it's Polish chocolate then? Have you heard of this place? http://www.cadbury.co.uk/the-story/chocolate-centre-of-excellence-opens-in-bournville

So, is Mars American chocolate or British chocolate?

That place is a R&D facility, it does not produce anything. Mars is an American company that has a factory in Britain as well as other countries so it is American chocolate produced in Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That place is a R&D facility, it does not produce anything. Mars is an American company that has a factory in Britain as well as other countries so it is American chocolate produced in Britain.

And Cadbury is a British chocolate produced in Poland...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Cadbury is a British chocolate produced in Poland...

Even though the company is America owned and the product is made in Poland? by that way of thinking a Honda or Toyota car made in Britain means that both are British cars
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though the company is America owned and the product is made in Poland? by that way of thinking a Honda or Toyota car made in Britain means that both are British cars

The recipes are developed in Britain for British people. Cadbury is still headquartered in Birmingham. As far as I know, your version of Cadbury's isn't even sold in the US, as US production is licensed to Hershey. Saying Cadbury is an American chocolate because its parent company is American is more of a stretch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The recipes are developed in Britain for British people. Cadbury is still headquartered in Birmingham. Saying Cadbury is an American chocolate because its parent company is American is more of a stretch.

So a Honda and Toyota are both British cars then?:D You cannot have it both ways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So a Honda and Toyota are both British cars then?:D You cannot have it both ways.

What exactly was your point in your first post to me? It's the same chocolate made before the Kraft takeover. But if you want to get really pedantic, Cadbury stopped being a British company years ago when it sold its soul to the stock market and became a publicly traded multi-national in its own right.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i don`t give a shit where it`s from if it doesn`t poison me i`m happy.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    It is an american owned company just like Mars, production was moved from the U.K to Poland some years ago with the recipe being changed to include cheap palm oil instead of cocoa when Kraft bought the company. I do agree it should not be called chocolate and legally cannot due to its low cocoa content.

Wrong - veg fat (including palm oil) has been legal in UK chocolate since the 1970s, and has been included for all that time (at up to 5%, IIRC).

That, and the differing requirements for cocoa and milk content were why it took the EEC/EC/EU so long to agree a Europe wide standard. But it is legally chocolate, and always has been (in the UK)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »
    I can't eat Dairy Milk anymore. What the fek they done to the recipe?

Agreed. Its horrible now. So is Galaxy since they 'improved' it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Wrong - veg fat (including palm oil) has been legal in UK chocolate since the 1970s, and has been included for all that time (at up to 5%, IIRC).

That, and the differing requirements for cocoa and milk content were why it took the EEC/EC/EU so long to agree a Europe wide standard. But it is legally chocolate, and always has been (in the UK)

No, it has to be called Milk Chocolate not chocolate due to the very low cocoa content (20%)
    "EU regulations specify a minimum of 25% cocoa solids. However, an agreement was reached in 2000 that allowed what by exception from these regulations is called "milk chocolate" in the UK, Ireland, and Malta, containing only 20% cocoa solids, to be traded as "family milk chocolate" elsewhere in the European Union.[2]"
  • Options
    n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Hersheys, its OK but I've had better, Irish Cadburys is the best, they use full fat milk apparently
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to generalise. Hershey's Kisses are so unpleasant that it's hard to understand why someone would willingly put one in their mouth unless paid to do so.

Reece's Peanut Butter Cups on the other hand are one of the best things ever :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hershey's chocolate takes like vomit.
  • Options
    KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anachrony wrote: »
    While we're on the topic of how "American chocolate tastes like sick", I may as well mention that Dutch licorice tastes like bleach. I don't know who told you people that Aluminum Chloride was a food, but they were joking. ;)

Haha I know what you mean! I am not keen on it, either.

Dutch chocolate, though... yum. Though the Belgians definitely rock.
  • Options
    NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    As I remember, mass market US chocolate has a distinct sour milk flavour because, when milk chocolate was first made, the milk would go sour whilst being transported across the US. Therefore, the flavour is what the US is used to (and M&Ms over here certainly used to have a flavour added to them for that reason)

And the worst chocolate is any which has been made heat-resistant - it won't melt in your mouth if it won't melt in the heat, and that is part of what makes chocolate so lovely

Ahh thank you for that info, so it's not sick, it's sour. Although I'm pretty sure that many things must've tasted off once in history. Including milk. No one wants off milk, so why they would want off milk in chocolate is a head scratcher

I hate cold chocolate. Why would you want something that's supposed to be warm and melty from the freezer. It's just crazy talk.
  • Options
    citiuscitius Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    American chocolate is absolutely vile. I don't mind the odd bar but generally it's not a patch on German or Belgian chocolate. I find British chocolate companies such as Hotelchocolat to be increasingly good and unique in flavour combinations.

I never understand why people go crazy for anything American. Those American candy stores that are springing up all over the place are vile. Give me traiditonal British retro sweets any day.

Americans are just as bad at cheese. I went to the states and it made me feel physically sick what passes for cheese over there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    citius wrote: »
    American chocolate is absolutely vile. I don't mind the odd bar but generally it's not a patch on German or Belgian chocolate. I find British chocolate companies such as Hotelchocolat to be increasingly good and unique in flavour combinations.

I never understand why people go crazy for anything American. Those American candy stores that are springing up all over the place are vile. Give me traiditonal British retro sweets any day.

Americans are just as bad at cheese. I went to the states and it made me feel physically sick what passes for cheese over there.

Can you please define for me "American chocolate"? And "American cheese" while you're at it?
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    citius wrote: »

Does anyone remember a type of chocolate which used to be sold in Woolworth's about ten years ago? I'm fairly sure it was a foreign brand - it used to come in tubes, and each piece in the stack was circular, about an inch across. It came in several varieties, my favourite being 'bittersweet', where half the disk was milk and the other half dark. Anyone know what I'm on about?

ETA: Google to the rescue! They were Droste chocolate pastilles, from Holland. Delicious. :D