What's it like being a temp?

Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm thinking of joining some temp agencies and I just want to know what it's like and what your experience is like of them. Do you only get interviewed one time for the agency? How regular do you find work or do you go through bouts of unemployment? Have you ever found a full time job because of an agency? Thank you.

Do you ever get thrown in the deep end (metaphorically speaking) being a temp? I'm scared I'll have no idea what to do and there will be no training!

Comments

• PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I joined with Office Angels in London. I was interviewed once with agency and had to fill out numerous forms. I went home and within a couple of days I was offered a fortnights work in an office. It was OK, but I found that being the temp ... no one was particularly friendly towards me. I found it a little boring as you couldn't get stuck in with the job and learn everything as you would have to go again in a few days.

After that I didn't get any work for a while. Basically what we were told was that a lot of companies was a temp immediately. They don't book it. So for instance, the receptionist phones in sick, they then call Office Angels and want someone there pronto. So - we were told that, if we wanted work we had to sit in the office and wait for the phone to ring. That was impossible for me as it would cost me too much to travel there and back for probably nothing.

Edited to say - I would do it again though. If I was made redundant, I would sign up for a temp agency. It was good money, and with the right set of people you could make friends or get asked to stay on permanently.
  • bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I started off as a temp in my current role. I filled out the paperwork with Reed and then had an interview with my company. I went onto a 12 week contract, had 12 weeks off when that finished, did another 6 weeks then got offered a permanent role.
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been working almost continuously as a temp for the past 12 months. I was lucky that my current role was covering maternity leave, but even so, I haven't had any issues with any place I've worked. Temping suits me at the minute, as I am recovering after a breakdown last year, but it'd me nice to be permanent somewhere, but for now, it does suit me, and I haven't had any issues of people not being friendly or helpful, and it's always experience to put on your CV
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a lot of temping in my younger days. I would take anything they gave me, even if they called up at 9 and asked me to be somewhere at 10 just for a day or 4 month to cover maternity leave.

Most places were surprised when I actually worked and asked for stuff to do, because their past experiences told them temps just like to sit on the phone all day. Dont be one of those else you wont get work.

I enjoyed it though, meeting new people, getting experience and seeing what different places were like. It was a pain signing on and signing off on a regular basis.

Might as well go for it because its better than sitting at home all day and you never know where it might lead.

ETA - I was in work more often than not.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a lot of temping in my younger days. I would take anything they gave me, even if they called up at 9 and asked me to be somewhere at 10 just for a day or 4 month to cover maternity leave.

Most places were surprised when I actually worked and asked for stuff to do, because their past experiences told them temps just like to sit on the phone all day. Dont be one of those else you wont get work.

I enjoyed it though, meeting new people, getting experience and seeing what different places were like. It was a pain signing on and signing off on a regular basis.

Might as well go for it because its better than sitting at home all day and you never know where it might lead.

I also temped for ages Daisy and loved it. Nearly every placement offered me a full time position as well which was nice. It was good fun and I met some really nice people and learned a lot.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done a fair amount of temping through the years as well Harper and have enjoyed most of the places i have been to! You do have to be quite an outgoing person i think because it is all about fitting in and being quick on the uptake!..if you are shy i would think it would be a nightmare ...

Mine has all been office work, i dont know what sort of employment you are looking for?, warehouse work might be a different kettle of fish! .....

And i was lucky enough to be offered a permanent job when i worked at Argos Head office...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's 17 years since I was a temp, so most of my advice would be totally out of date. One thing temping taught me was to take with a huge pinch of salt, employers opinion of you! This is because you can go from one job where all the managers and the boss rave over you and say you're the best thing since sliced bread, maybe they even want you to stay on, to one where they think you're the worst they've ever had, (and you hear them over the phone telling someone that before they sack you). Both responses for exactly the same sort of work ...
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice guys :) I'm looking for office support/admin work. So how do you know what to do when you get to the assignment? And do you get chucked into the deep end, because I know alot of admin work revolves talking to people on the phone which I don't really have any experience in so I'm a bit nervous!!
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhappyluv wrote: »
    I started off as a temp in my current role. I filled out the paperwork with Reed and then had an interview with my company. I went onto a 12 week contract, had 12 weeks off when that finished, did another 6 weeks then got offered a permanent role.

Did you contact Reed or did Reed contact you?

Reed seem to lack in telling you whether you've been successful or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to be an office temp as there isn't any particular job that I really want, and I just want to experience what other working environments might be like to sort of help me decide what job I want. The thing is I'm quite shy and need to ask for help quite a bit as I'm scared that I'm not doing the task at hand right. But I'm prepared to get on with it and just try and hit the ground running as best I can.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being an absolute temp is 273 degrees better than being a celsius temp :)
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love temping. Have been temping for 3 years. Don't know if I will ever be tempted to return to permanent work. I get to change jobs on a regular basis without the need for interview. Just update my CV at the end of each booking and it goes back to the Agency who send me back out again.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mint wrote: »
    I love temping. Have been temping for 3 years. Don't know if I will ever be tempted to return to permanent work. I get to change jobs on a regular basis without the need for interview. Just update my CV at the end of each booking and it goes back to the Agency who send me back out again.

I worked as an office temp years ago. The first job I went to offered me a permanent position. I was given the impression that the company asked for temps with a VIEW to testing them for the permanent position
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tempings fine, but if you get work from more than one temp agency , which if you register with more than one you might, it screws up your tax code. The tax office just can't cope. It'll sort it self out in the end, but it's a lot of grief
  • littlemadangellittlemadangel Posts: 4,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a temp when I started out working a few years ago-All office/admin work. Registered with several agencies but only ever got work with one of them (Grafton)

The first position I had was a 52 week contract on reception. I enjoyed the work, the people were nice, however they would have had to pay the agency a fortune to keep me on permanent. I'm still in contact with quite a few people from that office.

The next position not so good, it was supposed to be another long-term contract however I left after about 6 weeks. Work was fine just horrible people. Was a nightmare trying to get my time sheet signed and on several occasions didn't got my tea or lunch break.

Third and final position just like the first. Left only because I got a permanent job at a higher grade and with higher pay.

So good and bad experiences but I was just out of school and it gave me the work experience I needed while re-sitting my Maths GCSE at evening classes in order to get a permanent job. So I'm grateful it got my foot in door as such.

Think I was taxed too much though because have got quite a few tax rebates from the time I was employed by the agency.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done my stint of temping, to get the bills paid. Never liked waiting for the phonecall on a Monday morning, which determined whether I'd a job for that week or not.

Go in with a positive attitude, and expect to be an outsider,and it'll be ok. My favourite moment was realising that one boss was fiddling his figures. That was an interesting conversation.
  • ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have deliberately not read the previous replies (bad forum etiquette maybe, but I wanted to give my own personal view).

Prior to my current job, the last two were all via temping.

Last but one (sorry if this gets confusing) - I signed on at an agency to do anything (ie - commercial, office, industrial) and took whatever bookings they offered. Ultimately, after a few different roles, I got an 'office' booking - which was supposedly for a week - with a view to extension.

That got extended and went on, on a weekly basis, for a few months. Then it changed to a semi-permanent role - would it have been my 'choice' job - well no !!

After a while, a permanent job opened within the same organisation - again, not my 'choice' job, but I attended an interview and was accepted. In the end, I was there for nearly 6 years.

By choice, I relocated and, by necessity, went to an agency - my first booking with them was not very convenient (in terms of location) and to be honest, I hated the job.

Explained to my agent, who suggested that I should stay put, but they would keep looking (it was my first booking with this agency so I did so, but kept asking for a change)....

I was with that company, as a full time employee, for 9 years - as a full time employee after the first 6 months, as they (the Company) didn't want me to leave.

We mutually agreed on terms for me to stay after the first 12 months were up - terms that suited me - terms that were negotiated and agreed upon. I eventually (after 9+ years) left and moved on to do a job that I 'really' wanted to do.

I guess, what I am saying is - that temping can lead to other things - even if they are not what you would really choose, and ultimately can put you in a good position for the role that you really want.

As I say, I have not read any other replies, so I am just offering a potted view of my own experience. Maybe I struck lucky, but I don't think it was luck.

Just to state, the job I do now, a job which I love and wanted for a long time, had nothing to do with the jobs I did as a temp, so in that respect it wasn't a means to an end, directly.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My experience was very much like Daisy's. I really enjoyed all my assignments and was happy do anything really at the drop of a hat.

Later when I started my own business and was building up my client list I needed to bring money in so went to all the agencies I knew and again said I'd do anything no matter how off the wall or short term. It was great. I was also a 'Saturday girl'in a local saddlery which was fun as I am a horsewoman so thoroughly enjoyed my first foray into retail. I worked on stands at the Ideal Homes exhibition too.

The best thing is that if you are not keen on the business you just need to work hard and keep your head down because you can see an end to it. You don't get involved in office politics and if you are good at your job the business will be a) surprised, b) recommend you to the agency who will then give you more/better assignments c) you may get a perm role.

Good luck:)
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I temped for years, too, mainly in offices, and I found that in the main it was fab. After quite a few years temping here, there and everywhere, there were only two companies I refused to go back to (both because of bitchiness - nobody deserves to be treated like that, temp or not).

One way to look at it is that you are your own commodity, meaning that if you don't do a good job then the client won't want you back (or will send you back), and the agency won't give you work because you may have spoiled their reputation. For want of a better phrase, you're 'selling yourself' when you go temping. :D

What the clients love more than anything is what someone else suggested above: asking for more work when yours is done. Short-term temps generally get given work to keep the role ticking over until the permanent member of staff comes back, and it may only be a fraction of what the regular role requires, so offer yourself for other tasks.

At the end of your day/week with the client, you want them telling the agency how brilliant and helpful etc you are, so that you get the plum jobs. :D

Just to add, about your other question - when you turn up, you'll likely be kept in reception until someone comes for you to show you your working area, and they'll show you where the amenities are (not always, but usually). Take a pen and notepad so you can write down people's names and numbers (especially if they say "Call me if you get stuck"). Jot down details about the work you're being asked to do, especially if there's a 'house style' they like to work to (certain font types, etc). They won't just plonk you at a desk and tell you to go through someone's In Tray without any guidance, don't worry.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I temped for 5 years a few years ago now. The things I loved about it was the freedom of it and not getting involved/dragged in to office politics. I mainly worked doing graphic design in corporate places in London (banks, law firms, oil companies etc), but I also did a stint laying out medicine instruction leaflets working alongside translators, and also with creating graphics for a division of London Transport. The diversity opened me up to different experiences in different areas of work so I learnt more about what I liked and didn't like.

The downside is when the work doesn't come in. I had a 6wk stint with no work. The agencies I was with were almost on their knees as the work had dried up for them too. I had to sign on, and towards the end of those 6wks was running out of money and desperate (my JSA claim hadn't even been processed by then). Luckily something came up but I was scared enough to go out and get something permanent after that.

As another FM said, usually someone will meet you in reception, show you to your desk and where any facilities are, introduce you to anyone you'll be working alongside, and explain what is needed. It's in their interests for you to have a good understanding of what is required, so if you're not sure of anything then ask them to clarify.

Good luck :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, it's been really helpful. Just wondering how many temp agencies should I be on? People say sign up to as much as you can but I'm worried it could get higgledypiggledy.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not "done temping" as such, but I got in to my current job as a temp. When temp jobs come up here, they tend to ask current employees if they have any family members or friends who are in need of work. A basic admin job came up, my dad said I was looking for work (I'd been stuck in retail for 2 years and was bored out of my mind) they took one look at my CV and said they would hold the job for me. I had to register with Hays, and that was that.

Four months later they gave me a year-long fixed-term contract. But in the October, my team went through a change. We all had to re-apply for jobs, some took redundancy. I thought I'd have to have an interview for the job I wanted, but they were confident enough in me going on what I'd shown as a temp/fixed-term member of staff to offer me it without, and it was a double promotion as it was two levels higher than I currently was.

Not sure that really adds anything as, like I said, I've not done regular temping work or got jobs through agencies, but it does show that if you work hard enough and impress, it can lead to permanent jobs and promotions :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys and girls, OP here. I applied to work as a temp for a recruitment agency. They got back to me quite quickly and have invited me to registration. Does anything scary happen at a registration that I should know about? Thanks :)
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harper, it can certainly get messy if you sign to too many, and if you keep refusing jobs with one (which is your right if it's too far away, or in a company you don't want to work with etc) they'll not offer you work very often. Stick to this one first, and maybe one other in a week or so if there's nothing coming out of the first one. Because you're new to it, I wouldn't sign with too many for now.

Your interview with the agency is simply to go over your CV, your skills, your hobbies, etc, and so they can see what you're like as a person. They'll probably have a form to fill in as well, to register. Dress like you would at the job you're looking for, and don't forget they need you as a resource. Without people like you, they can't service their client base.

Best of luck to you - do let us know how you go on. Exciting stuff! :)

Oh - if you put down that you've got a certain typing speed, or you can audio type, that sort of thing, they might test you on that, but that's not scary. They'll sit you at a PC and show you the test they want you to do, and if you can in fact audio type (or whatever it is) then you'll walk it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok good advice Relly, is two a good number to be joined to? Or just the one for now?