Men's Ice Hockey

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Now you are just imagining stuff that was never said nor implied.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hope russia can make the final four at least.

so gutted i am at work for majority of KO games.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,330
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    hope russia can make the final four at least.

so gutted i am at work for majority of KO games.

They don't quite seem to be a team, neither Ovi or Malkin are clicking together once more. For all Ovi's done they might as well have picked Yakapov instead. I have a feeling they'll fall in the quarter finals unless the aforementioned duo click.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    They don't quite seem to be a team, neither Ovi or Malkin are clicking together once more. For all Ovi's done they might as well have picked Yakapov instead. I have a feeling they'll fall in the quarter finals unless the aforementioned duo click.

Correctly predicted.

Hyvä Suomi! :cool:

As I said, I'm no expert and don't watch NHL week-to-week, but I do get excited to see Finland do well. They're never likely to do anything in any other team sport - can you even imagine them qualifying for the football World Cup or Euros? - so this would be like the impact of the football team in Holland or Belgium or the cricket team of Sri Lanka doing well. If a small country can be really good at one thing, it's great for everyone in that country whether they are serious fans or not. :)

Teemu Selanne is 43! :o

Love the way the Finns break so quickly from defence to attack, nobody can make a mistake against them or they'll break away to score like Selanne today. Now hopefully for revenge against Sweden for Torino! :cool:
    Forum Member

Out to Finland that isn't going to make Putin happy at all is it? For South Korea in 2018, you watch Russia will send only KHLer's saying the NHL players never work or something akin to that. In other words they'll insert a national team into the league to get them playing better together.
    Forum Member
    Out to Finland that isn't going to make Putin happy at all is it? For South Korea in 2018, you watch Russia will send only KHLer's saying the NHL players never work or something akin to that. In other words they'll insert a national team into the league to get them playing better together.

They did that in football during the Communist era. Dynamo Kiev I think it was, when Moscow could tell Ukraine what to do!

They never won anything in that either though.
    Forum Member
    They did that in football during the Communist era. Dynamo Kiev I think it was, when Moscow could tell Ukraine what to do!

They never won anything in that either though.

During that period all the national teams played under one team or another. The thing though with hockey is that it has a limited range of teams playing, and even smaller group of genuine hockey nations. It could work for them again, but it would take some money and lots of talking to get the likes of Ovi and Malkin to go home so to speak.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well, it's another case of a team full of superstars not playing as a team!

and simply put the russians were not good enough
    Forum Member
    Why do we have to have NBC commentary rather than the CBC feed for the Canadian game?? I was looking forward to hearing the Canadian call on this one.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats the chances of Latvia knocking out Canada?
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Whats the chances of Latvia knocking out Canada?

Well, I would have said not very good.... but they are holding on so far! Their goalie is working hard against the Canadians.

They surprised Switzerland -- I'm hoping they don't do the same today!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phew!!! :)
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Suze wrote: »
    Phew!!! :)

It reminded me of the Spain Switzerland group play football match in the last World Cup. The Spanish utterly dominated, smothered the ball, and somehow managed to lose. They (I'm looking at you David Villa) just couldn't hit the back of the net to save their life. All credit to the Latvian goalie but the Canucks should have put a few of those chances away. Fortunately unlike the Spaniards that day they managed to pull out the win. But nobody cares about style points in the knock out stages.
  • yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    All yoshi schedules being cleared for Canada/USA...no one will be coming near me during that one. GO CANADA!! :)
    Forum Member
    yoshi94 wrote: »
    All yoshi schedules being cleared for Canada/USA...no one will be coming near me during that one. GO CANADA!! :)

Very exciting that it's two 'derbies' for the semi-finals, and guarantee of a North America-Europe Gold Medal game. :cool:

So hope Finland can do it!
    Forum Member
    I can't see a thread for the women's tourney, however a heads up for tonight's Canada v USA final, Joy Johnson is taking charge of the game. Britain's sole hockey representative has been awarded the final, big kudos to her for that. I actually think she's one of the best refs I've seen in English games in many a year.
    Forum Member
    I can't see a thread for the women's tourney, however a heads up for tonight's Canada v USA final, Joy Johnson is taking charge of the game. Britain's sole hockey representative has been awarded the final, big kudos to her for that. I actually think she's one of the best refs I've seen in English games in many a year.

This may be a daft question, but does she take charge of men's matches as well as women's?
    That would be a bit like Sian Massey in football... she runs the line in top men's matches, and it would be a bit of a waste if she only officiated in women's football as, contrary to what Andy Gray may think, she's one of the few officials who hardly makes any mistakes.
    Forum Member
    This may be a daft question, but does she take charge of men's matches as well as women's?
    That would be a bit like Sian Massey in football... she runs the line in top men's matches, and it would be a bit of a waste if she only officiated in women's football as, contrary to what Andy Gray may think, she's one of the few officials who hardly makes any mistakes.

In the English Premier League she is a referee, which is of course a men's league. At international level she obviously officiates in the women's games, but I see no reason why in the future we may see a female lino and ref in the NHL.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    I'm not in the know with Ice Hockey, I'm a football nut, but I have gotten quite into it during this Winter Olympics

How well is the EIHL growing these days? Has it improved much over the last decade or so?

I must say it's a very entertaining sport to watch, it would be great to see such a sport become a big sport in this country imo

I could quite easily get into watching the EIHL if it was aired more on tv
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    I'm not in the know with Ice Hockey, I'm a football nut, but I have gotten quite into it during this Winter Olympics

How well is the EIHL growing these days? Has it improved much over the last decade or so?

I must say it's a very entertaining sport to watch, it would be great to see such a sport become a big sport in this country imo

I could quite easily get into watching the EIHL if it was aired more on tv

I haven't really followed the EIHL since my beloved Vipers folded but if you are interested you should get yourself to a Sheffield, Nottingham or Hull game, whichever is easiest for you. It's a good night out and it's significantly cheaper than Premier League football.
    Forum Member
    Well, you're quite lucky being in Lincoln, not too far from Nottingham, home of one of the main teams in England, & if you don't mind going to Sheffield, there's a team there too. Nottingham hosts the season-end final too. I don't know much of the history of the Elite League, but you really must go to a game - we had a family trip to the Cardiff Devils a couple of years back while down there on holiday & it was amazing, helped by the Devils winning 4-0 :D (Against Sheffield lol) The main thing stopping it being big IMO is its lack of presence in the south (I don't just say that as a Sussexite, we haven't even got a rink in the county, never mind an elite arena) but like it or not, the south is where the money & power is, & as long as there's no team south of Cardiff, it can't become a bigger sport here, in England anyway :(
    Edit: Oh Jordan :p I'd completely forgotten Hull, might be closer still.
    Double edit: It is sometimes on TV, sky do a highlights show but it wildly veers around the channels & is rarely on before midnight. They show the grand final live, but I can't recall any regular season games being shown. I agree it's a great shame, hockey (not ice hockey :p) is a great game to watch, & we have the PERFECT climate for indoor sport :D but it just seems badly treated, the fiasco with the rink at Bristol being a perfect example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phew......just as I recover from the curling the hockey starts!!!

Go Canada!!!
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yoshi94 wrote: »
    Double edit: It is sometimes on TV, sky do a highlights show but it wildly veers around the channels & is rarely on before midnight. They show the grand final live, but I can't recall any regular season games being shown.

It's no longer on Sky, it's now on Premier Sports. They usually show games on Saturday nights and will often have a highlights show on before it. This Saturday is Belfast vs. Coventry. I don't know if they're going to be showing the Playoffs this year but they are showing GB's games in the World Champs in April.
    Forum Member
    Oh, I did wonder why it hadn't been on for a while...the show wasn't that great anyway on sky, too much blather with that brummie & not all that much hockey.
    Forum Member
    This first semi final is proving to be a great game, very tight, very spiky and tactical. Come on Finland.